Krylon Glitter Blast or Dupli-color Metal Specks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually shoot with Dupli-color rattle cans and this time I want some larger kandy flake than usual. I saw Krylon Glitter Blast which looks like it adds too much texture and will require waaay more clear to compensate. Any one try it out in the real world? A compressor & spray equipment ain’t happening any time soon. I may just settle for Metalcast over Metalspecks. Hot cha!

I've used the Rust-Oleum glitter stuff, then cleared it and wet sanded the clear. Otherwise it's too textured for my liking

You could go with a manual application

Too funny! Just before I posted I saw that guy do the demo of the glitter blast and worried it was too much texture. It reminded me of my very first guitar which I refinished back in ‘93...using the same manual technique he demoed here! On that one I did a navy blue base with signal green glitter. Looked amazing but I never applied enough clear to get it smooth enough. With guitars I like thinner finishes to avoid the plastic feel that can make them feel less resonant. A bike however isn’t about noise...clear, moar wetsanding = moar purty.

Thanks for the replies guys. Do either of you have pics?

IMG_20200528_174905130~2.jpg

Rust-Oleum glitter over dark primer. No clear at this point so the "pop" is low

I usually shoot with Dupli-color rattle cans and this time I want some larger kandy flake than usual. I saw Krylon Glitter Blast which looks like it adds too much texture and will require waaay more clear to compensate. Any one try it out in the real world? A compressor & spray equipment ain’t happening any time soon. I may just settle for Metalcast over Metalspecks. Hot cha!
I used krylon glitter on my build off bike as an accent. It seemed to lay flat enough and covered easily with clear. Found some at the dollar store.

Latest posts

Back