La Fugazi

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’re leaving for Greece Tuesday week and it won’t be soon enough. We’ve had our coldest start to winter in 20 years. Its too cold and damp to ride a bike let alone paint one.

I’m still undecided on the chainguard and after snagging some prewar Elgin bits yesterday I may be taking this one down a slightly different path. I’ll decide when I get back from Greece late July. I will have 5 weeks after I return to complete the bike. It will be at the blaster for a few days and then I’ll get stuck into painting it.

I already had the prewar Elgin lady’s fork and have decided to use it instead of the shockmaster. I guess i’ll have to change the name of the build now!

AFA19B87-3914-4030-AA0D-52355261F681.jpeg

D04C217E-E4A2-4288-B934-342B3BFAD609.jpeg
DE8E08A5-C2AC-496D-9FA6-A4C55F8A2B8F.png

Cool parts!
Have fun in Greece!
It's so strange hearing you talk about how cold it is. The heat index has been over 110 degrees F here lately.

Thanks. The past 4 weeks have been miserable. No bike riding!! We’ve all had covid, fortunately not seriously and now battling colds worse than covid. We should be right in a few days. My father outlaw’s home made wine will kill whatever is left of the bug in me.

This is his vineyard and the restored 2 room house he grew up in with his 3 siblings and parents. Harry uses it for storage and a nap during the day now. He’s 83 and until recently he was still climbing the olive trees to shake the olives out. He extracts around 1000 litres of oil a year from the 350 trees on the farm.

0E506649-9F13-4C59-9EC9-651AD669029F.jpeg
BFFF70D2-47E0-4B0F-A44C-3087EDC84F35.jpeg

This is my ride while I’m in Greece, an early 80’s Honda Super Cub I retrofitted with a 125 Lifan engine. I tried to buy one in Greece for years but cubs are highly coveted by the locals. Most are worn out and decent ones even pre covid were expensive.

A mate who imports motorcycles from Japan got me this one for $200 and it had done only 1000kms. I packed it a steel framed crate and shipped it to the island.

11F9A135-6F67-4552-9391-BE3D07AB2199.jpeg

9CA2C2C1-5C25-4F53-93B2-6ABCAB1325A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful homeplace as well as vacation place and ride. Enjoy.

This is really going to be a beautiful bike. I love the old/new - new/old thing.....
I have always liked curved fender braces.
Thanks. It will be a mad rush to get it painted after I return from Greece. I want to add darts to the frame and stripes to the fenders which will burn up time. Assembling it should only take a day. We’ll see if mother nature gives me a break with the weather in another month when I return.

Last edited:
Thanks. The past 4 weeks have been miserable. No bike riding!! We’ve all had covid, fortunately not seriously and now battling colds worse than covid. We should be right in a few days. My father outlaw’s home made wine will kill whatever is left of the bug in me.

This is his vineyard and the restored 2 room house he grew up in with his 3 siblings and parents. Harry uses it for storage and a nap during the day now. He’s 83 and until recently he was still climbing the olive trees to shake the olives out. He extracts around 1000 litres of oil a year from the 350 trees on the farm.

View attachment 196984View attachment 196983
Your Dad is awesome!

Your Dad is awesome!
Harry’s my father in law and good mate. He looks after his small farm and vineyard on his own. When it comes to making his wine he does it the old school way, pressing the juice out of the grapes with his feet. My mother outlaw and brother in law lend a foot or 2 too.

That is a great trick to use to visually see beyond the current colors. I'll have to remember that. @Vin-New has been doing a little of that this year and it really helps see the build without being distracted by the color or color differences.
As long as whatever color you want to 'visualize it' in is black. :21:

As long as whatever color you want to 'visualize it' in is black. :21:

Yeah, I wasn't considering it for visualizing a color, but more around visualizing the flow of the parts and pieces together. Sometimes when you are mocking up with multicolor parts, the contrasting color differences can throw your mind's eye off.

Yeah, I wasn't considering it for visualizing a color, but more around visualizing the flow of the parts and pieces together. Sometimes when you are mocking up with multicolor parts, the contrasting color differences can throw your mind's eye off.
Agreed. It just reminded me of that old saying, " You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's black." :grin:

Its been a great couple of weeks in Greece. A couple of hours at the beach every day followed by a late lunch, a nap and then either heading into town for a drink or ice cream or relaxing on the outlaw’s balcony. Fortunately I’ve had my super cub to get around as fuel is $16 a gallon/$4 per liter although with its big valve 125 engine it isn’t exactly a fuel miser.

We’re leaving at the end of next week and i’ll have to get stuck into finishing my first build off bike.
E1FEBE20-F3DE-4927-9DE3-63803FD4F69C.jpeg

The view from the in-law’s balcony.
3B7B351D-22B6-4C15-ACDB-E7C299843C3D.jpeg

3FACEF8F-6DD2-4E7A-B033-C49B07986FDA.jpeg
605AAD4E-1B96-4C89-95E8-4C4167DBD79B.jpeg

636FF42A-D2F4-4020-A93A-2B0603B2C986.jpeg
8DA84A95-ABDC-4698-9735-E99AC119BE8B.jpeg

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Latest posts

Back