Landspeeder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a sunny spring day when I spotted this old dead Gio scooter on the side of the road during 'recycle days'. Of course I couldn't resist the chance to makes something cool and dragged it home. Some weeks later my dropped, lowered, chopped and stretched creation debuted on the Fourth of May (also known as 'May the Fourth be with you') for it's first scream around the block. Also upgraded were the controller to 80 amps and the battery pack to 84v which output I've limited to 5000 watts or 10x the original for a scary-fun ride.

Before
Gio before 1.jpg

Gio before 2.jpg

Shortened steering/head tube
shortened head tube.jpg

Front lowered
lowered front.jpg

Rear lowered/stretched
Swingarm 1.jpg

Seat area chopped/modded, custom tooled leather seat built from scratch. Just need to disassemble and paint now.
57121039_673505216415412_6919488795448442880_o.jpg

20200817_175826 (2).jpg

20200817_180221 (2).jpg

This land speeder is tiny but tough, flies under the radar and ready to evade Lord Vader. "May the Fourth be with you".
Test ride.jpg

Last edited:
You are an e-wizard.
I have seen non working e-scoots for sale cheap and been tempted to get one. I understand that you upgrade the batteries, controller and hub motor.
-My concern is rear brakes. After upgrading the rear hub motor wheel, do you use a bike rim brake, or rig a disk mount? You probably cannot use the original rear brake?

Thanks guys. It needs a bit of finishing and paint. My new 84v pack is too long to lay down in the bottom of the frame so more mods to come. At 5k watts it's not necessarily for the faint of heart. I used a rear hub motor from Golden motor.ca which has a disc mount one side, freewheel the other. It uses the Model: MW16B -- 16" Motor Wheel. Although rated at 1000k watts it handles the 5k bursts quite well without over heating, the small diameter wheels make for a low overall ratio, so it accelerates aggressively. I'd love to have an equal strength brake on the front but I don't see a low dollar way to do it as these only have drum. For a 6" disc (rear) with an Avid BB7 caliper this scooter stops remarkably well, locks the wheel at any speed, it's far better than stock ever was.

Latest posts

Back