Late 80s Windsor Road Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! Since this is my first build-off and the fact that I'm still 18 and in high school, I'm not going to be doing anything too complicated.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine gave me a road bike that his dad had built and didn't really want anymore.
The bike is a late 80s/early 90s Windsor frame with Suntour compe equipment.
954439_10201265926393572_2100726070_n.jpg

The only condition is that he kept the pedals and the saddle.

I wanted to build something like "Ian's Tourer" by Donhou bikes
ian_3quart-660x440.jpg

So basically strip it down, paint it, and give it some fancy fenders. It's nothing too complicated, but I was doing it anyway and then I saw the build off thread and thought "Why not?" (I imagine "why not?" is the main reason many of us are on this forum, anyway).

So far I've sanded down the fork and I tried to paint it, but the rattle can spewed out some flaky/pasty/gritty garbage, so I had to start over.
Word to the wise: Shake rattle cans VERY thoroughly!

More pics as I take them.

Had that nasty stuff come out of a rattle can myself, not only give them a shake, my 10 cents worth, I heat the can in a some hot water before spraying as well, seems to come out better and slightly thinner with a bit of warmth.

Last edited:
Had that nasty stuff come out of a rattle can myself, not only give them a shake, my 10 cents worth, I heat the can in a some hot water before spraying as well, seems to come out better and slightly thinner with a bit of warmth.
Thanks! I'll definitely try that next time because I do not want to get and that crud out of the tiny nooks and crannies this bike has.

Sorry for the long time, been busy with school finals and college applications... you know, irrelevant non-bike-related stuff.

Anyway, I don't know about where most of you guys are, but in Maryland it is two things: cold and dry. I managed to finish preparing the frame and fork for primer and paint and this time the primer went on beautifully; no grit or crust. After a light sand-down to cover some scratches, I applied the first layer of paint: a creme-beige thing that will become stripes on the finished product. However, due to the cold and dryness, some of the paint didn't stick and chipped around one area and dripped in another. I also have difficulty painting because I don't have a garage and the walls are a step above paper, so fumes easily seep through.
GEDC0350.JPG

GEDC0351.JPG

As a result, I'm either going to have to paint with a heater when nobody's home or wait until the end of the build-off, when it's more towards spring.

Also, the fenders I ordered from Unchained arrived a few days ago. They were a little rougher than I expected, but
1) I got a great deal (I definitely recommend him/her)
2) I can fix them
3) This is the Rat Rods Bike forum, things are supposed to be like that
They came in a beautiful orange, but they were too dinged to keep them that way.
GEDC0352.JPG

More updates as they happen!

Latest posts

Back