Latest build '57 Flying Star

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call this build the "E-Town Bomber". I live in Enid, Oklahoma, and found the frame right here so.....yeah, you get it. And, my inspiration for this build was the WWII P-38 Lightning. I think the straight bar tanks look like the central cockpit nacelle on P-38s and I went for a nice stripped down board-tracker look I think the P-38 inspires.

Raised from obscurity in a dusty attic right here in E-Town, the basis for this project is a '57 Schwinn manufactured Flying Star straight bar frame in original paint. I started this venture with just the blank frame. I think the straight bar frame is THE best looking frame Schwinn ever made! All I had to start with was the blank frame.

At great expense, with much help from forum members right here on RRB and with several hours of work this is what I've done....a genuine Schwinn middle-weight springer, with original AS hardware, completely disassembled and custom painted. All new satin black 26" wheels with 2.125" wide, brick pattern, brick-red Duro tires. I added a pre-war long-spring saddle I happened to have in my stash with a custom ordered seat post (thanks slowriderz!). I added vintage Huffy handlebars (board-tracker fashion) with a set of Thompson Cola bottle grips (thanks ifitsfreeitsforme, some of the best grips on the market in my opinion!). I was able to track down all original period Schwinn drive-train, stem, chainguard and internals (thanks stingrayjoe!). All stripped and custom painted in flat-black. New chain, and of course the sexy reproduction Persons tear-drop pedals I dissembled, painted flat black and added the new brick-red blocks to.

Finally, and certainly not least, I found an original Schwinn straight-bar tank in original paint that I simply added a coat of flat clear to for protection. I flat cleared the frame as well to preserve the original paint. Oh, and a Schwinn chain guard, stripped and custom painted to match the patina!

Thanks for looking!

straightbar.jpg

Admin, this thread might need to be moved to the Gallery section. Sorry if I misplaced this!

Jay H.

Latest posts

Back