Leather tooled custom 1 of a kind seat -sell?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What can I sell this 1-of-a-kind leather tooled seat for? I know that is a loaded question. I also know the answer. "Whatever someone is willing to pay for it", right? Well I am just trying to get a feel for what the market might warrant for one of my tooled creations. I have days full of hours into these things. Have never sold just a seat. Only a few on bikes so I really don't know how to gauge a price. Any opinions, suggestions or helpful input would be appreciated. This seat has the original padding and then I added a layer of the new high density upholstery padding to insure a comfortable ride. I started with a really nice seat I got on ebay for around 80 bucks shipped. I then sand-blasted the pans and other steel parts and painted them with a quality satin black bomb job. The chrome was already nice on this one. This is tooled on nice heavy, thick leather hyde and will certainly outlive the owner with little care. Oh, feel free to make an offer :wink: .

clear.jpg

Sidewalk.jpg

DSC06177.jpg

DSC06180.jpg

DSC06176.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

Re: Leather tooled custom 1 of a kind seat worth?

That is spectacular workmanship! I would love to own that for my own ride, but I think it's worth more than I could pay. I'd guess around $150? Maybe $200 because it's custom.

Unfortunately, I'd be at the $20 mark right now. :oops:

Don't be shy about asking in the $300 range. There is $100 in materials, there is your art ,which is nicely executed and you have the cover secured correctly. Your time/effort is worth something. It's a very nice seat. Yes, one of a kind and Custom! There is a niche buyer willing to compensate you for your craftsmanship, now go find that person. Good Luck, It's the world-wide-web, put it out there see what happens.

Well when my mom got into leather work the lady that she got most of her stuff from said a basic rule of thumb is: Material x 2(or 3). Now the more intricate, the more you charge. But as stated, what the market will bear. Good luck that is an awesome seat.

Fahrrad said:
Well when my mom got into leather work the lady that she got most of her stuff from said a basic rule of thumb is: Material x 2(or 3). Now the more intricate, the more you charge. But as stated, what the market will bear. Good luck that is an awesome seat.

Yeah, I was taught that the rule of thumb for any piecemeal construction work is materials, then times that by 1 1/2 to get the labor price. So, this seat has $100 in materials, final cost would be $250.

This rule of thumb is tough to follow, though, as I can rarely sell for that much, but it's a guide.

Does it really matter what it is worth? Does it really matter how much you get for material and how much you get for Labor on this seat.
You will never stop getting compliments on your work, thats for sure. But.......How about a question like. If you make these and put them up for sale. How much can you SELL them for? If you make 20 of these a year, How many will you still own at the end of the year 19?
I sell the best products, But I have to get to the selling price. I have products that people pick up and say WOW and COOL, But they touch and look and do not buy them. This item is Great, Fantastic quality and workmanship. But is this a Display item or a Riding seat? If you ride it a bit, It will not look the same as it does in the picture.
It is a Great piece, But selling them is another deal. Notice the first answer on this thread. The person said I like it but more then they could afford to pay.
Good Luck and Great Work

Thanks for the compliments and the comments. The whole "materials X 1 or 1 and a half" is weird but I understand it.

honestherman said:
Does it really matter what it is worth? Does it really matter how much you get for material and how much you get for Labor on this seat.
You will never stop getting compliments on your work, thats for sure. But.......How about a question like. If you make these and put them up for sale. How much can you SELL them for? If you make 20 of these a year, How many will you still own at the end of the year 19?
I sell the best products, But I have to get to the selling price. I have products that people pick up and say WOW and COOL, But they touch and look and do not buy them. This item is Great, Fantastic quality and workmanship. But is this a Display item or a Riding seat? If you ride it a bit, It will not look the same as it does in the picture.
It is a Great piece, But selling them is another deal. Notice the first answer on this thread. The person said I like it but more then they could afford to pay.
Good Luck and Great Work

To address the "is this a display or a riding seat" I must say that I have a few of these getting ridden daily for the last couple years and there is no sign of wear waht-so-ever. None. I think if yuo take minimal care (keep it oiled and sealed) it will look this way forever. I made one for a Harley chopper and its been on the road, out in the Arizona sun and rain and it literally looks like the day I made it.

Does it really matter what it is worth? Okay, yes. What I meant was what can I sell it for. Is it worth me putting a few together to sell. thats what I meant.
As far as the rest of your comment I am a little confused about some of it. What do you mean when you say "I sell the best products, but I have to get to the selling price"?

My question is , do you do customer work i.e. made to order. Or will you be selling only you're own designs?. :shock: :arrow: :idea:

I think you should spend your time on motorcycle seats.

Example, if you set a price of $250.00, a person with a $2,500.00 or a $25,000.00 motorcycle is less likely to consider your price high in comparison to a guy who has a $250.00 bicycle and is considering your $250.00 bike seat.

See where I'm going with this?

Fantastic work BTW.

outsider13 said:
My question is , do you do customer work i.e. made to order. Or will you be selling only you're own designs?. :shock: :arrow: :idea:

Yes I would be game for "made to order" seat. PM me...

jerrykr said:

Example, if you set a price of $250.00, a person with a $2,500.00 or a $25,000.00 motorcycle is less likely to consider your price high in comparison to a guy who has a $250.00 bicycle and is considering your $250.00 bike seat.

Fantastic work BTW.

Absolutely. Problem is its about 200 dollars for a good quality seat pan. Much more to invest than a bike seat. I have plans of working my way to that though. :lol:

Petrohead said:
jerrykr said:

Fantastic work BTW.

Absolutely. Problem is its about 200 dollars for a good quality seat pan. Much more to invest than a bike seat. I have plans of working my way to that though. :lol:

old saying... you got to spend money to make money. according to your post you spent about $100 chasing a limited market who will spend limited $$$.
$200 to start after a market who will easily spend that, and way more for some chrome do-ma-gigi and never think twice???
No brainer in my book, where you should go. I worked supporting way to many successful salesmen to know that thinking small keeps you small.

Your asset is your TALENT, not the piece that you might be applying it to, and you got the Talent!

Do what you are doing now, but move up market as soon as you can figure out how to get in front of them. Don't forget, you got our attention, so you already know how.

Best of luck!

I have a motorcycle an I'd put a 300 dollar seat on in a heartbeat but a 300 dollar seat don't look like that an for my bicycle I'd spend the same the bike is worth what you put in it parts wise does that make sense

id say if you are supplying the seat pan(guts etc.),leather,dyes,doing the design, and tooling its easily a $300 saddle.
now....on this site i doubt youd find many takes(not saying most wouldnt want it but doubt many would shell out the $ since most are d.i.y. types here)....your work is top notch and like stated before if youre wanting to make some $ on them id start doing them for motorcycles(maybe if you are starting knock some $ off if the customer supplied a saddle that is perfectly ready for a recover and you only have to do the leatherwork and covering?)...as someone else stated before its alot easier to get someone thats $1000's deep into a project to part with a few $100 more than some one thats into something for $100. theres a reason why most of my side work is for cars and motorcycles not bicycles(i look at it this way...if im wasting my time off working i may as well make some decent $...not just pocket change :wink: )
anyhow...great work and i know those will move well. your work speaks for itself!

Latest posts

Back