Led-Sled Sidecar Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Tankenstein said:
Cool concept and great job on the 'glass work. One question, can you see that headlight from space? It's freakin' huge! I love it!

Cheers!
Dr. T

Ha!! I love it!! I found that at a motorcycle salvage yard here in town. Not sure what it came off of but
I thought it would look good on the bike. I installed 5 red LED lights in it for fun. 8)

CruiserBike08143.jpg

CruiserBike08157.jpg

I have laid down most of the thicker fiberglass matting on the areas that I thought would need it the most
but I had to jump to the outside body work!! I just couldn’t wait!! I will be get back to the smaller interior
fiberglass shtuff when needed.

The exterior work looks to be one of the longest process’s in the build next to the frame work that will attach the sidecar to the bike
so please bare with me. :oops:

Just to throw this out there I have an idea as to how I will attach this sidecar but if anyone has attempted
and or completed a sidecar project that has any input or suggestions I am open to all ideas.

PICT0001-2.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

Here is the latest update on the project. After laying down several thin layers of aerospace light weight bondoI have the top sides (front and back) just about were they need to be. So I rattled a few coats of primer on them and have now started to concentrate on finishing the sides.

Hope you like!! Back to work :mrgreen:

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

Before I update you on my build I would first like to thank all of the veterans on this Memorial Day weekend!
Because with out you we would not be able to do what we all love to do here! So thank you!! :D :D

Update: It has been many years since my last major body work endeavor and it’s all starting to come back
to me. I forgot how long it takes to do body work and have it look right, let alone on a six foot long
fiberglass sidecar made from scratch. At this point I have one side completed along with both tops front
and back. Then it’s time to flip’er over to finish the bottom side and add the floor.

Hope to update you all again soon! :mrgreen:

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

PICT0011-1.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

Hey Guys! Check out this garage find! It’s a 26” women’s bike I found this afternoon under a quarter inch
of bondo dust.....and I found it in my garage. :oops: :lol: :lol:

PICT0034-1.jpg

I’m pretty excited because I have now finished both outer sides of the sidecar and you can really see it starting to take shape. It has come a long way from just being a pipe dream! :lol: :roll: Now it’s time to flip it over and finish the bottom side and add the floor.

I had a neighbor walking his dog today stop by and ask what I was working on. After a few minutes of explaining I brought up the fact that I was going to need to fabricate a disc brake system to the wheels that I have and sure enough not five minutes after he left, he dropped of a rotor and said here see if you can make this work. Wow!
How cool is that!! 8)

PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0028-1.jpg

weekend-fun said:
How did you attach the chicken wire and how did you do the papaer mâché?

On the chicken wire I used about 40 zip-ties to keep every thing tight and the paper mashe I used Elmers wood glue, flower and
water mixed up in a paint tray so that I could use half sheets of news paper to complete the job quicker.

Ya gonna build one to? :D

It has been a little slow going on the sidecar lately as I have been helping a very good friend
move into a home just down the street from me. The move mixed in with everyday life has
slowed things a bit. I have been able to work on the sidecar in the evenings and I am really
close to building the sidecar frame. However I May need your help.

Is there anyone out there that knows of a supplier that sells multiple size (steel) “U” shaped clamps
that are better looking than what I can get at the lhs? Any and all input would really help me at this point.

Side note; The friend that I helped move in down the street is a Rat Rod’r him self! :shock:

The neighborhood will never be the same. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graylock said:
I'm surprised that Gdcast didn't come up with the clamp thing. If I wasn't in the build off I'd show you one. :D

Graylock

You mean like this:
u-20clamps_10488098_250x250.jpg

Which one you want? :D

Well, unfortunately I can´t help you with that, not quite sure what you need exactly, but hey, if you can build your own killer looker sidecar, I´m more than sure you can build any type of clamps you want! :wink:

N8NBOX said:
looks ammmmmazing, awesome work! I remember my first time using fiberglass....on my moms living room floor with no gloves or anything....learned my lessons the hard way...at least I learned them fast :). so...WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE WHEELS?

Thanks to all for the nice comments!

Ya! I almost renamed it the “Itchy Led-Sled Sidecar Project” :lol: :lol:

I ordered the wheels from a local bicycle shop here in town and they ordered them
form skyway wheels. Check out the site if you get a chance. Looks like they brought
back the graphite wheels. Cool stuff! :mrgreen:

http://www.skywaywheels.com/

Completed the bottom of the sidecar tonight with a 3/16” piece of plywood as the floor and used sheet rock screws to screw directly into the pvc around the body.

Today I will be heading to a local motorcycle salvage yard. I think that I may have an idea on some
clamps for the frame. If not a clamp or two I’m sure I will find something else to bring home that
I can add to the bike build. :shock:

Latest posts

Back