Led-Sled Sidecar Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gdcast! But here is what I found today thanks to someone that I won’t mention
“Scouts Honor”!!

Ya Buddy!! Scored big time today at the local motorcycle salvage yard. I found some
really cool bar clamps that I will use for the sidecar frame to connect to the bike frame.
This will give me the ability to detach the sidecar from the bike should I need to. :mrgreen:

PICT0002.jpg

Opps!! Almost forgot!! Here is a picture of my Bottom! :shock: :lol: :lol:

PICT0006-2.jpg

This thing is unbelievable. Your bike alone makes you my hero but this is just too cool. I've done enough body work and fiberglass to know that a project like this has to keep you forever busy. You're really crankin though, keep it up!

MatthewRobertHenry said:
This thing is unbelievable. Your bike alone makes you my hero but this is just too cool. I've done enough body work and fiberglass to know that a project like this has to keep you forever busy. You're really crankin though, keep it up!

Thanks a bunch!! Believe it or not it is comments like that, that keep a lot of us going.

So Thank you!! :mrgreen:

N8NBOX said:
So I guess they are a 24" wheel then? cant seem to find any 26 mags. What a nice bottom you have sir :lol:

Yep! After searching for what seemed to be forever I found these but if they came out with
A 26” mag with a disc brake option I would switch today! Hint..Hint.. :D

Sorry that I didn’t respond last night but I ran out of time. If you have been following this
build you will have seen at the top of this page I helped a very dear friend move into a home
just down the street who happens to be a Rat Rod Biker. He goes by legburner.

Late last night in a freak accident legburner dislocated his knee and it looks like he may be out of
ridding for some time. :cry: :cry:

I was just thinking that if we could flood him with PM’s to hang in there and get better soon that
might make his day! He finds out today if he will need surgery.

Thanks everyone for your support on this!!

Hope to see ya ridden soon legburner!!! :mrgreen:

Awesome project. Thanks for chronicling your build!

Curious about your thoughts for the structure to support the sidecar and bolt it to your motorcycle clamps? Seems like it will need to be very substantial to keep the nose from bending down and touching the ground...

I don't envy the fiberglass work -- it's tough to get it to look good. Keep up the great work.

Half Link said:

J_Westy said:
Awesome project. Thanks for chronicling your build!
Curious about your thoughts for the structure to support the sidecar and bolt it to your motorcycle clamps? Seems like it will need to be very substantial to keep the nose from bending down and touching the ground...
I don't envy the fiberglass work -- it's tough to get it to look good. Keep up the great work.

Thanks, Yep...fiberglass is no fun!! The nose of the sidecar touching the ground
Is also no fun!! I will be addressing that issue soon.

I’ve worked on the bar clamps by surfacing both inner sides so that they will be
nice and tight on the lower rear however I had to weld a bushing to the upper rear
clamp do to the fact that the rear upper tube was smaller! :x I sanded the inside of the
big clamp so that it will fit the fat down tube just behind the head tube. (pic's soon)

I will be picking up some more tubing from the lhs today for the frame.

Wow!! all that tube talk with a mention of You Tube! :shock: :shock:

PICT0006-3.jpg

PICT0002-1.jpg

Now isn't this the odd project! Keep it coming!

Thanks VinceJ and Dr.Sizzle

Ok, so for all that were questioning (along with my self) what I was going to do with the motorcycle bar clamps here is what I came up with!! I think that with a little more clean up work this will work good!

Well back to work! :D

PICT0008-1.jpg

PICT0007-1.jpg

Had to step away from the sidecar project the past week to host our annual 4th of July neighborhood block party but I am back on it now!! I’m lov’n pvc pipe as you can see.... I have made a bike stand and a sidecar platform for $4.00!! (It’s not just for sprinklers anymore) :lol: I sanded the inside of the biggest clamp so that I could tack the bar that will be used to help support the nose of the sidecar and I have also completed one of two rear wheel outer beams that will help keep the third wheel true.

PICT0006-4.jpg

PICT0015-1.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

super cool man... Im diggin the hack...

HL I wished I had a camera the other day. Out parked in front of the bank was a 1952 Zundapp 600cc opposing heads motor cycle with a side car. It was a thing of beauty. The owner was in a bit of a rush but I did notice a few things of interest. The axle line was a little bit forward of the bikes rear axle. He did tell me that the bike is set with a little lean to the outside. He said it sounds weird to him but said it handled better this way. The body was the kind that is zepplin shaped at the front with long crome strips like stripes towards the nose. Also it looked as though it was suspened inside a frame. He's local and hope to meet up with him again.

Glad to see your project is still going strong. 8)

GL

Hey GL, Yes!! Please shoot me over some pic’s the next time you see him. That would be really cool!
You are exactly right on the wheel placement and from what I have read an outward lean indeed helps the ride along with a slight toe-in of the outer wheel. Almost sounds like nascar (add a wedge, pushing in the corners) :lol: :lol:

Thanks again! HL :D

Sidecar wheel 3-4 inches in front of rear wheel:yes (maybe more, your bike is long, I don't know)
Slight toe-in of the sidecar wheel: yes, not too much, 1/4" measured from axle to tire, or less.
Outward lean of bike: maybe, not necessary on a bike, less speed and less acceleration than a motorcycle. Mine is staight up and on a flat surface I can roll a cigarette. So for ease of work or for looks, you can ignore that.
And yes, I like the ship you built, and the use of handlebar clamps. I've been quietly following this build, up to now.

Graylock said:
HL I wished I had a camera the other day. Out parked in front of the bank was a 1952 Zundapp 600cc opposing heads motor cycle with a side car. It was a thing of beauty. The owner was in a bit of a rush but I did notice a few things of interest. The axle line was a little bit forward of the bikes rear axle. He did tell me that the bike is set with a little lean to the outside. He said it sounds weird to him but said it handled better this way. The body was the kind that is zepplin shaped at the front with long crome strips like stripes towards the nose. Also it looked as though it was suspened inside a frame. He's local and hope to meet up with him again.

Glad to see your project is still going strong. 8)

GL

watsqireclassic.jpg

This is what I saw but in green. Pivots right behind the crome front bumper and hangs on springs in the back

C.S. said:
Mine is staight up and on a flat surface I can roll a cigarette.
Thanks for the info C.S. I have seen some of your builds. Very Cool!! 8)
You have to help me out though with the whole "roll a cigarette" thing'ee? Is that making a right hand circle with out the 3rd wheel lifting? :?:

Thanks!! Half Link

Latest posts

Back