Led-Sled Sidecar Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking for a very long time of adding a sidecar to my bike. In fact when I started putting
this bike project together I ordered a third wheel thinking that one day I would eventually use it for
this purpose. I think the day has finally come!! I have come up with an overall look for a sidecar that
I think fits the bike pretty well. To keep the costs down I am building it out of pvc pipe and will cover it with chicken wire and then paper mache over that then I will start to fiberglass the outer shell and then I will gut it, add the floor and build the frame. Here is what I’ve got so far. Wish me luck!!

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

cool project! i'm following this one!

This is the setup that I have been using but with the added weight I might have to bump up the pads
a size or three :shock:

PICT0033.jpg

All kiddng aside I will be adding brakes after all of this other stuff is done.

The shoe brake is no joke... I know this guy and it's true. I've actually riden this bike numerous times and wore out my flip flops. :shock: Not only that I got leg cramps. :cry: All kidding aside this thing is looking amazing. After DT I get a ride, but you have to leave the beer inside. Good bye.

I've been toying with the idea of making a side car for my next project. I'd like to make it a WWII US army looking bike / side car.

flatblack50 said:
I've been toying with the idea of making a side car for my next project. I'd like to make it a WWII US army looking bike / side car.

I have been eyeballing many sidecars over the last year or so and the WWII bike and sidecar would have been my #1 choice but I couldn't do it with this bike. You have very great taste my friend!! Hopefully my build might help you on yours! Make sure you keep us updated!!

Here is the latest update on the Led-Sled Sidecar Project. I have finished the outer shell with two layers of fiberglass cloth that I picked up at the lhs. I have sanded it all down and much to my surprise I will be saving some money on body filler. :mrgreen:

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0040.jpg

My next step is to pill out all of the pvc and chicken wire so that I can cut the wood for the floor and then re-use some of the pvc to form a cage around some of the high stress areas. (like were you enter and exit the sidecar)

Wow!! The gutting of the pvc and chicken wire went perfect. For the first time using this
process of fiberglassing I was really impressed and highly recommend it if you can not build
a negative mold.

My next step will be the wood for the floor and then a pvc frame on the inside were people
will be entering the sidecar. After I’m comfortable with the inner support I will fiberglass
the entire shell from the inside using a thicker fiberglass mat and covering the pvc to make
it all one piece.

The only bummer is that I will be doing all of this next week when I get back in town as I
will be flying to Dallas for a week.......Man!! I was in the grove!! :( :cry:

I will be checking in so if you have questions or comments feel free to post them as this will
give me something to do.

Thanks to all for your great comments! :oops:

PICT0046.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

I’m Back!! And couldn’t wait to start back up on the sidecar. Since my last post I have constructed
the inner frame out of pvc and started fiber-glassing around the passengers compartment entrance.
After some rough sanding I am liking the overall results so far. My next task is to use the thicker
fiberglass matting on the inside to surround the pvc and other areas to make it more ridged.

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

Looks like your'e making good progress! Some weeks ago I got ideas for and started to make sketches on a bike with quite a lot of fiberglass on it, and too see stuff like what you're building here is such great inspiration! Thank you for sharing! :D

Hey Galtbacken! Thanks for the kind words. :oops: I have to admit though, I would not have attempted this build if it were not for all of the talented people on this site. They all seem to inspire each and every build that others do big or small. It’s kind of a mutating virus in a cool way!! It’s contagious or should I say “Ratagious” 8)

Thanks!! Half Link

Ratagious must be the word! :lol: It's the rat flu! :D
In my mind that's exactly what makes this site what it is! That positive, creative atmosphere where everyone's encouraged to share ideas and enjoy seeing what others have built and get inspiration! :)

cannot wait to see how it turns out

I'm not sure I like it... I think you should start over! :shock: :D :shock: :D

Latest posts

Back