Let's Build A Hot Rod Bike!!! Inspiration Solicitation...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, guys-n-dolls, It's time to start planning my next build! So, bear with me while I describe my direction...

I have a Spaceliner frame that I want to build into a hot rod style bike. Picture part cruiser, part big BMX, part muscle bike....all attitude!!!

Parts stash includes:
-said Spaceliner frame, some rust pits but a really solid frame
-simple Murray fork
-late Spaceliner truss rod assembly
-several styles of Murray rear racks
-Murray chainguards
-Black flip-flop rear hub
-disc front hub
-2 yard sale 160mm discs
-Nice black eyeleted 36-hole rims
-freewheel sprocket
-cool little brake levers

I also have:
-Several other forks, Murray springer, Schwinn copies, WCC triple fork
-mishmash of handlebars, seats, necks, pedals, etc...

I really want this thing to have attitude but be easy to ride...kind of a "greenway bike on steroids". It will see use as a greenway bike, neighborhood runabout, car show cruiser... Something that can be ridden slow most of the time but pushed occasionally just for grins and giggles.

I want it to at least compliment my old truck, which will be satin black with gold, silver and white trim/stripes/accents.

Having said all that, I now open the floor for innovative ideas, past experiences (positive and negative), previous builds, and things that you've always wanted to try but really wanted some sucker to try first!

Photos of full rides, details, oopses...all welcome and solicited! Yep, I'm asking for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Brett, for starters, I like the idea of the wcc fork to keep with the chrome(or painted?) frame finish and offer stance and beef without detracting from the frame design.
A dupliclor metal cast paint can supply the gold or black accents over the chrome, black rims (maybe w/fatter and narrow white walls?, a pleated/maybe flake white seat and Coke bottle grips from Ifitsfreeitsforme, choice of rack and guard from the stash...in black/white/
It kinda sounds like you dig your 'cool little levers', so flip flop and discs?
That's my 2 cents worth to start.:nod::shake::39:
Maybe post a pic of frame with a couple of fork options in place and then solicit your stem and bar options for more input ??? Who doesn't like pics?
It sounds like you've got some interesting parts to juggle. I'm looking forward to seeing the process.:thumbsup:
I sure miss my 'liner and still hope it comes back one day.
OldFlyerandSpaceliner005_zps9df339bf.jpg

You had ma at Spaceliner frame , I dig those lines on those types of frames then you mentioned triple tree forks , I have visions
Of a mean ,lean ,beefed up ride .
Build on !

Hey Brett, for starters, I like the idea of the wcc fork to keep with the chrome(or painted?) frame finish and offer stance and beef without detracting from the frame design.
A dupliclor metal cast paint can supply the gold or black accents over the chrome, black rims (maybe w/fatter and narrow white walls?, a pleated/maybe flake white seat and Coke bottle grips from Ifitsfreeitsforme, choice of rack and guard from the stash...in black/white/
It kinda sounds like you dig your 'cool little levers', so flip flop and discs?
That's my 2 cents worth to start.:nod::shake::39:
Maybe post a pic of frame with a couple of fork options in place and then solicit your stem and bar options for more input ??? Who doesn't like pics?
It sounds like you've got some interesting parts to juggle. I'm looking forward to seeing the process.:thumbsup:
I sure miss my 'liner and still hope it comes back one day.
OldFlyerandSpaceliner005_zps9df339bf.jpg

Thanks for the mind dump! [emoji12][emoji106] Lots of really good ideas!!

My frame is bare metal, not chrome! Haven't been lucky enough to stumble upon a nice chrome frame (although I DO have a chrome Flightliner!)

The WCC fork is the standard chrome with rust, but it could probably be brought back to rider status with just a little elbow grease.

I should have a little free time tomorrow evening to snap some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back