Let's see how you pump air

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presently have a 20 gallon shop compressor that I bought in the eighties when they were still US made cast iron, a Specialized Air Tool hand pump and my latest addition is a Milwaukee M-12 Inflator Tool. I really like the Milwaukee as you just set the pressure you want and hit the power button. It's very light and portable and can even inflate truck tires to 120 PSI. Rumor has it that it is about 2 PSI off but I will eventually verify that, right now I add a few lbs to allow for that and for any air loss while disconnecting. I did add a quick release clamp to mine, they come with a screw on but that allows too much air loss for skinny high pressure tires.. Between vehicles and daily riders I am responsible for something like 35 tires. I also have a small pump that attaches to a bike frame for travel. What do you use?

Attachments

• 20211226_095859.jpg
    20211226_095859.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 52
  • 20211226_095829.jpg
    20211226_095829.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20211226_095822.jpg
    20211226_095822.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 39
Let's see how you pump air
the-office-ellie-kemper.gif

Big fan of that Spesh floor pump. How accurate is the pressure gauge?

I have a CCM floor pump with terribly unreliable gauge and an old frame pump that thankfully I never ever use.
images.jpeg
s-l400.jpg

I gotta get a compressor. Someday

I have this Ryobi inflator that I use on bikes and cars.
20211115_114637~2.jpg

Also an old Sears stationary shop compressor for heavy pneumatic work.

I have a Blackburn floor pump that has been in service since 1996. The head has been replaced, but otherwise it has been the Cal Ripken of bike pumps.

Adding a media blaster and paint booth to my arsenal of bike tools next year will require a legit compressor. I'll most likely go with a stand-up on wheels that an easily removable sound dampening cover can be made for. I've been saving egg cartons all year.

I have a Blackburn floor pump that has been in service since 1996. The head has been replaced, but otherwise it has been the Cal Ripken of bike pumps.

Adding a media blaster and paint booth to my arsenal of bike tools next year will require a legit compressor. I'll most likely go with a stand-up on wheels that an easily removable sound dampening cover can be made for. I've been saving egg cartons all year.

When I bought my cast iron 20 gallon dual voltage Campbell Hausfield I figured it would get me by for a few years until I was ready to buy a big 2 stage 60 gallon upright. The guy at the tool supply said I probably wouldn't ever need to upgrade. About 32 years later he was right, it has served me well and have even painted cars with it. The only time it won't keep up is with an air sander when sanding a whole car but I use electric ones, 2 of them and switch back and forth as they get hot. For a one man shop I think a 60 gallon 2 stage is overkill, but then I have wired up a few $2,000 Quincys for rich guys in their dream garages so they can air up their Porsche tires every other Sunday. If I could get one of those cheap at an estate sale or something I probably would.

At home I have a Bluepoint 20 gallon cast iron 2 cylinder compressor I bought 35 years ago. It will easily outlast me. I have a micro pump in a seat bag with repair patches and levers that moves between bikes I am riding.

At work, where a whole bunch of my bike building mayhem happens, I have these bad boys in both of the garages I work out of. They never disappoint.

20211228_222628.jpg

Last edited:
I use this twin cylinder Mikita. It has two chucks so I keep a blow gun in one and an air chuck in the other. I think the retractable hose reel has about 30' of line. It works OK for light pneumatic tool use also.
20211229_140659.jpg

Latest posts

Back