Lets See Those 26" BMX Styled Cruiser Builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave it some better cranks.
811A843E-8BF4-4487-AD8F-DE8B454D7397.jpeg

Ok. I can hardly contain myself and am finally sharing this one. 81 Bassett. It was a bucket list bike
That is awesome! Congratulations on checking one off. That's my absolute favorite cantilever frame, looks so light and fast. The bars are wicked cool too

I added this to fleet this week. Ran across on Craigslist. Wasn’t really looking to buy, but you know the story, The seller was desperate and I picked it up for a couple hun. Mint original condition. That puts me over 50 bikes Hahahaa Dagnabbit…..View attachment 194312
Score!

I added this to fleet this week. Haro Master Team 26 . . . . .That puts me over 50 bikes Hahahaa Dagnabbit…..
This is what my wife was worried about when I started riding bicycles again. All my hobbies start out like this.

I bought one bicycle for her and then I bought one for me and then I just started buying . . .

Ok…. This happened today. Not with out drama. i found this locally, the guy sends me the address, I tell him I’m on my way. I show up and paid him double what he was asking. Apparently he gave the address to another guy who I know locally. He showed up as I was loading the bike into the truck. To say the least he wasn’t happy. So I am excited to have this, just not the way it went down. I happened to be first. And a fellow group rider got dissed. Anyway. It was pretty rough. Freewheel cluster frozen. Derailleur rusted solid. Seat post locked up. But was mostly there. Bought it from the original owner. 1981 King Sting. First photo is how I purchased it. The others are about 6 hours of labor later.
A1D50403-F37E-4E5B-8434-21DA52306CDB.jpeg
9077D40D-3FAA-4B58-B216-623C2FD3B4A4.jpeg
BB463C97-1D4C-441A-B98A-CC619AD0F448.jpeg
618D2A99-6D99-4AC0-BB44-6335AF5EE0B7.jpeg
1BFE731F-768F-4C86-AB3E-04A9A5A03C2E.jpeg
5BA9951A-6ADC-47B5-B073-F04648DD8933.jpeg
FA71E0E0-FE11-4C93-9FEC-8D2F6F24C783.jpeg

I had a seller pull that with me last summer, apparently he gave his address to several people saying he had to be at work by 3pm. It was 1:45pm and I was 30 minutes away.
I get there and he's got the bike out in the driveway with someone sitting on it already, and two cars driving up behind me.
I walk over to him and the bike and he tells me to 'wait my turn'
I then ask him if it was some sort of #$%^&* auction?
I made it very clear that I was not there to bid on a bike. The guy and his wife who were looking at the bike scurried away in a big hurry. The seller thinks its funny.
Thinking that if I stuck around it won't end well for the seller, so I just told him where he could shove the bike and I walked away. I stopped and told the other two who showed up what he was up to and one of them left too. So much for his 'bidding' war. I watched the last guy walk over to him, look at the bike, give him the one finger salute and walk away. Later that day he had upped the price on CL from $50 to $350. The bike was probably worth $100-125, nothing special, just a clean old three speed from the 70's. A week later he's got the bike listed in pieces, each piece listed for more than the whole bike was worth. It was listed all last summer with no takers.
I've had a few others pull similar tricks lately, they list something for $50, then want way more when you get there saying the price in the ad either didn't mean anything, or that its just a starting point.
I absolutely refuse to deal with guys like that. If you want an auction, put it on eBay, if you list a price, then sell it for that price and be ready to negotiate if its worth less.

Locally, bikes don't sell well at all, you could list that King Sting for $30 and maybe not even get a single reply on CL. I had an '82 Sidewinder in what I'd call just fair shape that did ride, but it needed lots of tlc. I put it up at $100 figuring someone would haggle it down to $50. It sat listed for nearly two years before some guy finally drove all the way up from Wash DC to buy it. He handed me the $100 and left. He couldn't believe it was still for sale, he said he saw the ad when I first put it up but couldn't find the time to drive the 2 1/2 hrs to get it. He showed up in a VW Beetle convertible and drove home in late Dec with the bike sticking hanging out of the back seat. He was the only person to email about the bike other than a few nonsense emails asking 'Is this still available".

I’ve never seen one of those frames before. The head construction is pretty interesting. It reminds me of the KZ900, With the down tubes attached to the top of the head tube rather than the bottom.

When I raked my Kawasaki I cut those tubes loose through the welds, and I re-welded them at the bottom of the head tube.

Back