Lets See Those 26" BMX Styled Cruiser Builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it is by way of an old Monark frame or an OM Flyer, I have built them out of classic and new school cruisers. I can't believe there hasn't been a thread started about these, unless for some reason they don't belong here, but to be sure they would be welcome, we have nearly all spent years of our own riding these awesome bikes. Always loving bmx bikes as a kid, now as a big kid that no longer fits on them, 26" cruiser fills the void. Back in the 70's 26" was the cruiser race class, 80's they switched to the 24" bikes we see racing today. I'm sure most of you have seen this one on here in past but here's my pride and joy I spent a few months gathering parts for to build it. 2012 Retro OM Flyer.
Picture927.jpg

Picture926.jpg

Picture925.jpg

Here is a recent build I did with an american made Huffy Mountain bike,...
H3.jpg

H2.jpg

Here's a build I did with a Kent La Jolla I stripped,...

socal_jack said:
Here's one I did from a Redline Skookum mtb frame
IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Nice, i've seen a few redline mountain bikes with horizontal rear drops, there's a nice one on my local C-list but its about 4 hours away, not a bad price on it either.

Here is one I built for the raffle at last year's Midwest Bicycle Fest. Started with a '61 Schwinn and with porkchopbmx.com help I made this awesome BMX Cruiser. It was won by dangratsdan.

303880_10150417072490278_118735470277_10641494_4559026_n.jpg

Dan changed a few things, but last I knew it was one of his regular rides.
038-1.jpg

Thanks, the Skookum model was short lived for some reason. This was a brand new replacement bare frame I got at a local internet dealer blowing them out for $100

Carbon said:
socal_jack said:
Here's one I did from a Redline Skookum mtb frame

Nice, i've seen a few redline mountain bikes with horizontal rear drops, there's a nice one on my local C-list but its about 4 hours away, not a bad price on it either.

udallcustombikes said:
Here is one I built for the raffle at last year's Midwest Bicycle Fest. Started with a '61 Schwinn and with porkchopbmx.com help I made this awesome BMX Cruiser. It was won by dangratsdan.

303880_10150417072490278_118735470277_10641494_4559026_n.jpg

Dan changed a few things, but last I knew it was one of his regular rides.
038-1.jpg

Thats sweet, he's a lucky fella, getting hard to find the colored comp 3 wheels, I have a set of skin walls I will be using, i've gotten quite a few things here lately from Porkchop for my next build, hope to have everything in by next weekend to start buildin.

Heres a couple pics from moments ago from when I went for a ride down by the Elementary school, my 60 Flightliner bmx deluxe, put a Murray Missile chaingaurd on it. 8)
FL2.jpg

FL1.jpg

been holding on to this one for such a project. big boi bmx

bikes001-1.jpg

haven't decided on a back wheel/drive train, and the bottom bracket is stuck/frozen on. sooner or later though.

Here is my 2012 OM Flyer, it's in the shed right now with the rear wheel off though :roll: , the gumwalls were dirt cheap from my lbs and i found out why, got a nasty wiggle to them, i used some soapy water to try and seat them better and decided to see how big of a skid it could do and i guess it was still a little slick ... the tire spun on the rim and ripped the valve stem off the tube :shock: Got some blackwall K-rads to throw on after i get the rear trued up again. Hoped to get it back together tonight but had a birthday party and a family picnic that kept me away from bikes today ...

IMG_1836.jpg

Krads on, bigger seat, tube replaced, flipped stem :D

IMG_2355.jpg

That would make a cool bmx build Philphine, I had an early 90's Schwinn Frontier Mt bike I did a build with, came out real nice. CCR, that OM looks nice, I was seriously concidering gumwalls on mine but went with the K-Rads, love em, very nice tire, did you buy yours complete or as a frameset?

Frame set with SE cruiser bars and a S2 sturmey hub in the rear too. I'll have to grab some better pics once its back together, Ive been really excited about this bike for the longest time ... and it seems to have taken me the longest to get together too :lol:

Here's my candidate. I sold the tank and it's just been hanging up in the garage. I'll post pics of the finished bike later. It's going to be a ratty BMX styled bike, made for punishment.

53p655.jpg

Carbon said:
That would make a cool bmx build Philphine, I had an early 90's Schwinn Frontier Mt bike I did a build with, came out real nice. CCR, that OM looks nice, I was seriously concidering gumwalls on mine but went with the K-Rads, love em, very nice tire, did you buy yours complete or as a frameset?

i got it compleat, but pretty well beat up at a thrift store. truthfully i'm not much into bmx, i just saw the bike and thought it looked like a big bmx bike (yep, some projects start just like that). been doing an "as i luck upon them" parts accumulation, but probaly finding a back wheel i want to go with is what will kick off the build.

Here's my latest 26 bmx build
As found 1982 Sekai
sekai.jpg

Cleaned it up a bit Then changed out all stock parts except the stem frame and fork Added kooka crank (going to be changed out to profilesin the next couple of days) Gt cruiser bars and a set of 7x copies new chain and freewheel post and seat this thing rides awesome
sekai7.jpg

Here's mine. 1979 Bassett cruiser...built Cal Custom/Strandie style...

Frame: 1979 Bassett 26" Star Cruiser
Fork: Bassett 26" R-TOO full chromoly forks
Bars: VDC cruiser bars w/original stickers
Stem: early Tuf Neck "Patent Pending"
Cranks: Takagi 180 with sealed BB
Pedals: KKT Lightning
Spider: gold Sugino alloy
Chainring: Sugino 41
Bolts: Sugino
Chain: KMC
Seat: Vintage Schwinn Mesinger
Seatpost: fluted twisty
Clamp: Tuf Neck
Hoops:NOS Araya 7x
Hubs: front NOS 1st gen Sunshine sealed/rear fresh 1968 Sachs Torpedo Duomatic 2 speed kickback
Spokes: DT Stainless Steel
Tires: Cheng Shin cruiser
Grips: Ame motocross waffle

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0043.jpg

Latest posts

Back