lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like the title says, post pic's of your old ,original or custom shifters.

heres a couple of mine to get things started.
n.o.s. suntour shifter. i added the filework (chain saw file) and eightball
IMG_0657.jpg

old sportshift 3 speed(sturmey shifter) on an old ccm cougar.
IMG_1245.jpg

another old sportshift(sturmey) found on a few of my bikes. (ccm marauder,ccm avenger)
IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4344-2.jpg

i made this using parts from an old 3 speed thumb shifter welded to the frame. ss and another of those gold eight balls i love so much.
IMG_1503-2.jpg

IMG_1503-1.jpg

and i just started working on this one. gaboon ebony skull, with ss shaft.
IMG_4395-1.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

lets see all those wierd and wonderful shifters. (please and thx)

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres what I came up with for my 24'' Schwinn Sting Ray. It's the top 8'' of a '66 VW Beetle shift lever. The bottom, I made from flat stock and the frame bracket is from a ten speed Suntour shifter set from the '70's?

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats pretty slick! i like it alot. the piece that attaches the cable is a nice touch also, make's it look good and old. :)

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made that cable pivot out of a tin can lid, doubled over, and cut about a 1/2'' wide. The gold color is the inside of the lid. Just drilled a hole for the cable and the pivot. Not too good of a pic. Dang! My bikes got a flat this morning! :cry:

008-1.jpg

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quanah said:
I made that cable pivot out of a tin can lid, doubled over, and cut about a 1/2'' wide. The gold color is the inside of the lid. Just drilled a hole for the cable and the pivot. Not too good of a pic. Dang! My bikes got a flat this morning! :cry:

thx quanah

your linkage gave me a great idea for mine.
IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icy, I was gonna use a piece of chrome, (nickle)?, plated chain also, just a link or a few, but didn't come up with a good way to attach the cable. I have a few ideas now and I'm sure you'll work it out. Lookin' forward to seeing your solution!

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tallshifter.jpg

Here's my first attempt. cut up shimano 3 speed thumb shifter, bent 3 feet of weldable steel and bolted/welded it to the thumb shifter. i still need to do some more bending so i can get in to all gears while riding :roll: , and find a pineapple grenade for a shift knob 8)

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with a login name "kingofpainftw" i expected to see a corrosion of comformity skull on there (all spikey-bound to draw blood)instead ya got a child proofed shifter knob :)

just razzin, i love it. tennis ball included!

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha safety first :roll: , the tennis ball is just a temp until i can decide on the pineapple grenade or revolver.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought about using an old machette, but figured i'd end up hurting myself. :)

if ya removed the sharp edge, and used the blade of the clever for the shifter handle, a few finger shape notches in the blade, would make it look like it was cutting through all your fingers when ya grapped it. :p

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I shouldn't give up my idea for one, but what the heck, I have been wanting to use one of these WWI german trench knives with brass knuckles for a shift lever. I figure you could heat the blade down low to take the temper out of it so you could drill a hole in it, may have to use a masonry bit, with the tip ground like a metal cutting bit... I know this works on car leaf springs without heat.

BK984.jpg

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man those are both sweet shifters.
joker that turned out real sweet. pretty cool the way you went about designing.build it. it was very cool to follow.