lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1655951335679.png

Kingfish likes him some suicide shifters

Downtube mounts aren't bad at all, but seattube mounts is a little more of a stretch.

Installing the three speed on my Spoiler was a challenge. It took some assistance from some of the good folks over at the Schwinn forum, notably Wayne, and Chopperguy. With their advice, plus the donation of a pair of anti-rotation washers, I was able to get the hub fitted properly in the frame. The shifter was another problem. I wanted the suicide shift mount, but I did not want to have to weld, or drill the frame. After weeks of brainstorming, the idea finally popped into my head. I made a backing plate to fit between the chainguard and the frame, and drilled for four bolts to clamp the shifter mount in place. Materials- some 3mm aluminum plate that I suspect came from a road sign, and the steel ring that might have been a mount for a garbage disposall- I'm still not sure. The rest was hacksaw file and drill. Primitive Pete engineering, for sure, but- hey, it works.

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

Next project is the sissy bar. I'm stuck again, because what I want to build takes welding, and tube bending. But who knows- I may get another flash of inspiration.

JWM

Latest posts

Back