Let's see your Cleveland Welding bicycles!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the final pieces of the puzzle for the Toadmaster.
Replaced the Walmart 'utility' light with a correct unit from from @AVBS (yeah I know it should be green, but it IS the Toadmaster) Next up was color matching front fender from a girls Hiawatha (I guess CWC be CWC) from @66sprint and my favorite Jiffy kickstand from @AS Boltnut. Those Fat Franks JUST fit under the fenders. Considering the drivetrain and tires were from another bike, I'm all in for under $250.

It is my favorite ride by far, no rattles, 3 speed gets me around about anywhere, patina for days.

c0ee276e151b0fc79325ea634feba78d.jpg

313666915f6c96d1471175cc01627731.jpg

634877322d920182a37b0b705fb8cc2f.jpg

Cheers all, I'm going for a ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_1243.JPG

Finally got around to re-doing my 46-47 Roadmaster, Had a poor quality spray bomb paint job when I got it.

IMG_E3153.JPG

It stripped the old paint and tried to salvage what was left of the original, was not much. Rusted the frame to a point and two light coats of linseed oil, I also made a lay back seat post from 5/8 drill rod. Got lot's of ideas for frame treatment from this forum, Thanks!

IMG_E3154.JPG

What chrome was left I polished,

IMG_E3158.JPG

IMG_E3163.JPG

New Departure hubs cleaned up nice! Front has leather seals! Crank has leather seals as well!

IMG_E3159.JPG

I cleaned up the rims, whatever was bare metal I allowed to rust, Then coated with linseed oil. The plating on the nipples rubbed off as I was cleaning, I coated them with clear lacquer to preserve the brass finish. As I trued the wheels I noticed the spokes are laced with a four cross pattern and the spokes are thin gauge double butted. Between that and the Fat Franks it has a super cushy ride.

IMG_E3161.JPG

IMG_E3156.JPG

Persons seat has original canvas cover, I gave it a couple of coats of water based varnish to try and preserve.

I added some oil to the rear hub and it works great, one of the best coaster brakes I have experienced! I will tear it down for rebuild/repack this winter. Right now it's time to ride.

I greased every other bearing on the bike and it is an amazing ride, It's absolutely silent. I saved the other goodies that were on the bike in the first photo including the original Firestone tires but like its present configuration, I may put the chain guard back on if anything. Enjoy,

rusty

Still scrubbing, got it from Cleveland, no holes for headbadge, haven't decided on whether to get a three gill tank for it, B series serial number, falls between prewar A series and early post war D series, likely shouldn't have the tank, wont let me post a pic ( too large) how do you make them smaller?
thumbnail
thumbnail

Last edited:
Got my first today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100_4632.jpg

100_4633.jpg

100_4635.jpg
Speed Master?! I gotta research that badge. Can't say I noticed it the first fifty times I scrolled these pages. Can I see an updated picture of the bike whole? The one posted from this reply is outdated and [x]d out.

FZ

Just thought I would update what my 48-49 CWC looks like now. A Roadmaster head badge lines up with the holes in the frame so maybe that is what it was?
DSC00489.jpg
Sorry I'm six years late, Yea. That looks like a Roadmaster frame to me!

1953 CWC Roadmaster.
OG Paint.
I have all the rest of its original parts,. wheels., sprocket., saddle but I wanted to ride it right away of course so I loaned it some parts off my '47 Monark Elgin., though the more I ride it and look at it, I like the painted rims on it so it'll keep them on until I find replacements in painted with pinstripe in red or black.
Saddle will remain until I find a long spring prewar Lobdell and the sprocket will remain until I find a decent skiptooth chain [and convert a painted wheelset to Skip]

Love this light but its a project all its own. Anyone up to trade for something a bit more fitting? Yellow Lens tractor light was on my mind.. o_O
sn1zuj.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/pmeMDcXpj
https://imageshack.com/i/pndt6VJEj
s060oH.jpg

:banana:

Hello guys! I'm looking into buying myself a CWC frame from US. But i was curious, how big the frame actually is? I mean what is the distance from seat tube to the BB? I am quite a tall guy, and if i won't be able to ride it, then maybe it does not worth all the fuss, since shipping is quite expensive. Also, are there any parts that i must buy with the bike from US, some stuff with specific standards, that i can not buy/make here in Europe?
Thanks everyone for advise.

Hello guys! I'm looking into buying myself a CWC frame from US. But i was curious, how big the frame actually is? I mean what is the distance from seat tube to the BB? I am quite a tall guy, and if i won't be able to ride it, then maybe it does not worth all the fuss, since shipping is quite expensive. Also, are there any parts that i must buy with the bike from US, some stuff with specific standards, that i can not buy/make here in Europe?
Thanks everyone for advise.

Original seat post is 5/8 inch and short. If you are tall use a 5/8 inch cold rolled rod, that can be tall and not bend. You need the original or old Schwinn type seat post clamp to fit the 5/8 inch post. Bearings, spokes, 1/2 inch pedals, chainrings, and cranks are easy to get here in the USA and should not cost too much to ship. There are also extra long gooseneck stems available if you are too tall for the original. These bikes have a pretty long cockpit so you should be able to make it fit. You may need an old style BMX or Schwinn headset, I can't remember what fits my CWCs. The only problem I see is if you change the gearing. Look at the chain in the rear of the bike in a picture and see how close it is to the chain stay. The curved chain stays can cause a lot of problems if you alter the gearing as the chain rubs on the stay. I can't get into my shop to measure one of mine because it's frozen shut but someone else should be able to measure it for you.

Latest posts

Back