LETS SEE YOUR ELGINS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1941 Elgin Decoluxe

Decoluxe.jpg

Last edited:
I think everyone gave up after TRM posted the Decoluxe, but I'll throw my barhop build on here anyway!
IMG_0493.JPG

90b0da6ad3ee345165ff9eefba828f7f.jpg
037184307d8866b56af2dff838861c27.jpg

1939-1940 Elgin Sports Model.

50a5d38033d1c942ea8feb041314395f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent find. Don't know much yet haven't even unearthed the serial numbers on the BB. I do see a bit of peach/coral paint under the green house paint. Traded an 80's Schwinn Traveler and 40 bucks for her.
4f901b7409731c495bd09597976ca53f.jpg
f749e965ed532786bc7d3803a6aaddfd.jpg

Carl.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using temporal shifting...

1947 Monark Elgin
All original outside tires and grips.
These frames Do fit a decent little tank so I suspect theyd have had a rack too, of what style is beyond me. Any reference photos I can find of the same model with the same scheme are even less together than this one.
Mines the only example I have pictures of with the Painted truss rods too.
Mxyyo2.jpg

XfU28x.jpg

1947 Monark Elgin
All original outside tires and grips.
These frames Do fit a decent little tank so I suspect theyd have had a rack too, of what style is beyond me. Any reference photos I can find of the same model with the same scheme are even less together than this one.
Mines the only example I have pictures of with the Painted truss rods too.
Mxyyo2.jpg

XfU28x.jpg

f553580f3f0aa77ff1b1df90dcb28091.jpg

Elgin rack.
Elgin’s prewar...JC Higgins postwar

f553580f3f0aa77ff1b1df90dcb28091.jpg

Elgin rack.
Elgin’s prewar...JC Higgins postwar
Hey Thanks, Guy!
To get one with that rear light assembly probably isn't cheap, huh?

Thing is, as evasive as they are, Monark DID badge multiple Elgin post war. I've found d five just like mine now, same scheme, a few parts here and there that differ due to replacement from the years on theirs. All badged Elgin with the same scheme and color. All '47s

Hey Thanks, Guy!
To get one with that rear light assembly probably isn't cheap, huh?

Thing is, as evasive as they are, Monark DID badge multiple Elgin post war. I've found d five just like mine now, same scheme, a few parts here and there that differ due to replacement from the years on theirs. All badged Elgin with the same scheme and color. All '47s
Mine came off the bay, around $60 without the light. It had the light tube housing. I added a HF LED flashlight and a Delta lens. They show up ever so often, when I got mine there two to choose from. The “actual” lights are the pricey part. There is also a non lighted version.
Good luck. Nice bike!

Mercury late 30s fenders and rear rack
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...0s-fenders-and-rear-rack.139318/&share_type=t

Last edited:
Mine came off the bay, around $60 without the light. It had the light tube housing. I added a HF LED flashlight and a Delta lens. They show up ever so often, when I got mine there two to choose from. The “actual” lights are the pricey part. There is also a non lighted version.
Good luck. Nice bike!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=43298&share_tid=139318&url=https://thecabe.com/forum/index.php?threads/Mercury-late-30s-fenders-and-rear-rack.139318/&share_type=t

Aww man, that puppy sure is nice on there. It's definitely the little details like that, that make the bike as personally passionate as it is.

Thank you much for the info and lilely modification in the event I do land on one!

I think you'll need to look at Monark Rockets to find appropriate tank & racks...
View attachment 84663
View attachment 84664
Jason
I've seen my model with a tank but the rack the guy had on it was mocked up,. The rank was a standard monark tank. Blank white probably from paint over or decal wash but it wasn't anything to rave about and honestly, unless I found an original paint variation affordably, I'd probably leave it alone as is. As much as I love tankers, some models don't really need one and often express their lines better without in some cases. This being one of those times if it weren't for the general plainness of the model itself.

Good luck. Nice bike!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=43298&share_tid=139318&url=https://thecabe.com/forum/index.php?threads/Mercury-late-30s-fenders-and-rear-rack.139318/&share_type=t
How did you get the red lense to attach to your rack? I have that same exact rack on my 41 deluxe Elgin, that one has 2 tabs instead of threads. Chris

How did you get the red lense to attach to your rack? I have that same exact rack on my 41 deluxe Elgin, that one has 2 tabs instead of threads. Chris
The tabs sorta secured it. I added a small screw at bottom side for insurance. Thus a hole in lens and rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back