Lets See Your Giant Simple!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine (2009 Giant Simple Single):
IMG_1066.jpg

Felt Jerry SpringerFelt (thanks Tater!), Felt Fenders, Electra headlight, repro Delta defender rear light. Chrome chain guard. Coming soon: Electra tool bag under saddle and maybe Bear Trap pedals.
The Felt fenders sure are nice and sturdy compared to the bloppity Chinese eBay fenders I had on it.

I'm surprised we don't see more of these on the site. Simples have a nice sturdy aluminum frame with a tank top tube. A mystery to me.

This is a Giant Simple + (Plus) automatic 3-speed bicycle, which was only made for 2 years in 2001-2002. It had been special ordered but never picked up for over a year. The bike shop, wanting to unload it, made me an offer I couldn't refuse. This bike has a double top tube which extends to the rear drop-out, not the single tube of later models. The 3-speed is a Shimano Nexus Auto-D (D for drive) which is powered by 4 AA batteries. Just before it changes gears, it beeps. I later gave this bike to a friend, who rode it once and kept it on his front enclosed porch. I recently inquired about the bike, offering to buy it back. He graciously returned it to me. Oh, and yes, this does have the cool finned fenders.

The Bike...

Giant Simple + 1 by fanegatrac, on Flickr

The Gear Changer...

Giant Simple + 2 by fanegatrac, on Flickr

The Gear Changer Without The Cover...

Giant Simple + 3 by fanegatrac, on Flickr

Very cool! I didn't know they made an auto shift like that. Does it have a cadence pickup? What makes it decide when to shift?

kingfish254 said:
Very cool! I didn't know they made an auto shift like that. Does it have a cadence pickup? What makes it decide when to shift?

There is a magnet attached to one of the spokes which passes over a sensor each revolution of the wheel. As the speed increases, it beeps and then shifts to the next gear. Vice versa when it slows down. Unlike my TREK automatic 3-speed, the Giant gear change settings are not adjustable. On the flat this is not a problem but climbing hills it becomes a bit dodgy. Other than that it is a sweet riding bike.

Time to post some pics of my 2011 Simple 7. Raw aluminum with some black graphics. Just put the Maxxis HR 26x2.4s on today :) I also went with some apes on a Blitz stem, Profile quill adapter, Cardiff grips, Felt cruiser saddle, and VP pedals. It's my favorite bike...rides like butter :lol:
I also included a pic of my 4 semi-rat cruisers together!!

Lewie - Did you sand the paint from your Simple frame or strip it with a chemical? I have a few aluminum frames that I am considering removing all the paint.

wheelbender6 said:
Lewie - Did you sand the paint from your Simple frame or strip it with a chemical? I have a few aluminum frames that I am considering removing all the paint.

No, it came like that from the factory.

I reckon Giant Simples are massively under valued. The lines of the frame are fantastic, just Giant seem to make really ugly bikes out of them. I bought this one on ebay, I was confident that with some careful parts selection and turfing all the unnecesary crap you could make a great looking bike. I went with a board tracker inspired build.

Before:
simple008.jpg

After:
SableandArgent115.jpg

simple049.jpg

wheelbender6 said:

I used a wire brush attachment on an angle grinder. Took plenty of time and lost some skin in the process :shock: I'd suggest looking into sandblasting or soda blasting (like sand blasting but they use bicarb soda).

hewey said:
I reckon Giant Simples are massively under valued. The lines of the frame are fantastic, just Giant seem to make really ugly bikes out of them. I bought this one on ebay, I was confident that with some careful parts selection and turfing all the unnecesary crap you could make a great looking bike. I went with a board tracker inspired build.

Now that's how it's done :D I bet it rides awesome too. I'm also surprised more people don't use these as starting points on builds. You're right, excellent, light frames. Good size too.

I picked up another Giant Simple today, this one is a Simple 7 with a springer front end. I moved my ape hangers, pedals, and seat from my Simple Single onto it and still need to get the cables lengthened and some better tires on it but it is riding prety nice now

zd4o.jpg

So now I have the Simple 7 on the left and the Simple Single on the right

ojko.jpg

2u5urehu.jpg
my bonine bike Indecision. A Simple Seven. One question for anyone who knows, when did the frame change from twin tubes like mine to tank tubes like the late ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Giant Simple Single in the Uk
See other post on Unknown frame.
I didn’t expect these to be so popular I am now looking at purchasing another but it is stickered up as a Giant Hazzard frame is almost identical but is advertised with 22” wheels .
Can’t find any info on Giant Hazzard.

I dont think the bike is a Giant , it has brazed lugs on the top tube and rear stays with a rear carrier fitted to it all the same colour . The rear drop outs are horizontal and the coaster brake bracket is a clamp on not a welded or brazed tab. Wheels are 26"
I still like the look of it to make a 26" bmx style cruiser.

Latest posts

Back