Lincoln - Chicago Cycle Supply Co.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Related to Schwinn I think...
Picked this one from the little antique mall nearby... 39 dollars, I didn't even dicker...
DSC00954.JPG

Databases are conflicting...53' is supposed to be on the dropout... but it's not J64885
DSC00952.JPG

Here's the best part! It's a 20" with a skiptooth drive and New Departure coaster hub.
DSC00951.JPG

Weird springer polo...vintage AS seat clamp...
DSC00953.JPG

It's a cool little bike, seat isn't original, I don't think the chrome ducktail fender or the front fender are original either, toss the chrome aftermarket chainguard in the non original parts pile too. But the Lincoln headbadge is the real thing. What about the paint? It's pretty faded out, I'll probably try to clean it up and rub it out into a nice patina...

I'd love a good line on the year, maybe a little info on Lincoln. I haven't found much.

Carl.

Last edited:
Related to Schwinn I think...
Picked this one from the little antique mall nearby... 39 dollars, I didn't even dicker...
View attachment 27626
Databases are conflicting...53' is supposed to be on the dropout... but it's not J64885
View attachment 27627
Here's the best part! It's a 20" with a skiptooth drive and New Departure coaster hub.
View attachment 27628

Weird springer polo...vintage AS seat clamp...
View attachment 27629

It's a cool little bike, seat isn't original, I don't think the chrome ducktail fender or the front fender are original either, toss the chrome aftermarket chainguard in the non original parts pile too. But the Lincoln headbadge is the real thing. What about the paint? It's pretty faded out, I'll probably try to clean it up and rub it out into a nice patina...

I'd love a good line on the year, maybe a little info on Lincoln. I haven't found much.

Carl.

It's a 50s schwinn, badged as a Lincoln. May have original under the repaint.

Cool bikes guys. Interesting I keep going back out to the garage and looking at it. Mine doesn't have S-7 tires, but I do believe there is red underneath the copper. Angelfire website says 53' and newer have the serial on the dropout. But the numbers make this a 53' with the numbers on the bottom of the BB. Think that might be because of the smaller dropouts?

Carl.

The seat is a troxel solo polo. I have seen a couple girls Lincoln bikes like yours in my area. They were red painted bikes. Wheels originally should be schwinn S2 balloon wheels front and rear and would be stamped by the inner tube hole with "schwinn tubular S2". Looks like a pig bike from the early 60's for sure. The fenders looks like stingray fenders too. Schwinn SN lookup tool says it's a 1953. I love it.

Troxels have the springer bottom, cardboard backing and the silver piping around the edges with no tag in the back. There were several makers of solo polo seats. Persons, troxel, bike pals, Westfield and several others. They all share the same relative flat shape though.

I was referring to the Lincoln bike in my comments, the seat on the Columbia does look like a persons seat, but I've never seen a two tone version. I have a "bike pals" solo polo that was made in Japan that is very close to a persons seat in most regards.

The seat is a troxel solo polo. I have seen a couple girls Lincoln bikes like yours in my area. They were red painted bikes. Wheels originally should be schwinn S2 balloon wheels front and rear and would be stamped by the inner tube hole with "schwinn tubular S2". Looks like a pig bike from the early 60's for sure. The fenders looks like stingray fenders too. Schwinn SN lookup tool says it's a 1953. I love it.
Pretty sure that's a Persons saddle. I like the shape of those.
That seat is a factory springer too, but I don't see a label, Persons usually have a good tag. Either way it's gotta go, it'll be in my stash unless someone needs it...
I'm pretty sure it was red underneath the copper spray paint. It's all gotta go, it's tempting to go red again but I'm thinking mild custom... amber or rootbeer...
Now the serial number has me wondering what's up. Wasn't 52' the last year that Schwinn put the numbers on the BB? Cuz it's on the BB but it indicates being a 53'...
What about the wheels! Crazy skip tooth, nothing about Schwinn tubular S2... rims match but they've been painted. I'm thinking of stripping and painting them to match the frame. So why did somebody go to a lot of trouble to do a half done paint job on a miss matched bike with Stingray fenders and then backdate it 15 years with a New Departure skiptooth drive? Well it looks like a little motorcycle to me. I'm going to try to cultivate that look a little more.

Carl.

Well, everyone taught me something today. I honestly never saw a Polo seat that wasn't manufactured by Persons...and I really like the look of this one. The long, narrow, pleated glitter bananas aren't my style.

I would say that it's typical pig bike economics deal. whoever made it back in the day did it because it was cheaper than buying a new stingray. When I was a kid BMX was taking over from banana seat bikes, so I bought a neighbors stingray at a garage sale, painted it blue and went to Kmart and bought new bmx parts in yellow. Why? The stingray cost my parents about $40 to makeover and a new mongoose was $600. The Lincoln bikes I saw all had skip tooth drives so it may have just been that schwinn just dumped off some leftover parts to the lesser known brand to use them up, or it's simply older than you think. Make it the way you like it and don't worry about it.

I'm just curious. I like the knowledge of the history and whys and such of bikes I have. I think that Schwinn using up old stock on the Lincolns is very plausible. Savvy businesses did that often in the past. Value-wise I'm not so concerned, I did see a very few Lincolns listed for more than they were worth, rare shouldn't always be expensive, but some think it is. You're also probably right about the Stingray fenders and Troxel seat. I'd like to think someone will someday wonder about some of the menagerie of bicycles we build here.

Carl.

Hot rod Lincoln-luv it. I'm with Carl, I like the history aspect of this hobby and tracking down the parts for bare frames i resurrect back to life. Some people get caught up in trying to find the correct date coded air for their totally original paint Whatever it is and I just don't get it. Bikes were meant to be ridden foolishly by children and survive and I make my boys do that as often as possible-it ain't about the money, it's the fun.

It's final form is hanging on the ceiling in my jam room. Search The Wild One...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back