Little Neutrino 1936 Atom Punk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the bike that brought me to Rat Rod Bikes. Found it in a dusty garage sale last summer and went searching the net for info. I found it here and never left. This is a 1936 CWC built Hawthorne. 1936 was the first year of the Flash Gordon serials at the movies, the beginning of Atom Punk. So for BONINE, my first Big Build Off, I thought it fitting to rebuild this cruiser. It features a layered plexiglass tank with vacuum tubes (state of the art in 1936) and brass guards fabbed from cymbals. The drive train is all original down to the Allstate rear tire. The bare metal frame is protected with Minwax walnut, the fork and trusses are original too. Its a rider, so the seat sits high and the bars were stretched. The crossbar was missing and replaced with heavy gauge copper tubing. I recovered the seat in green leather and used the best green grips you can get on the bars. Extended the rear dropouts, used an inch and 3/8th front tire, added a rack and a bell, along with a led modded Delta Winner light and copper and brass bits here and there...
from long ago and a galaxy far away...
Little Neutrino

Carl.

Last edited:
Bare metal is always good looking :thumbsup:

Hey Carl the green giant looks like his about to clobber you...;):21:
Great build,looks like a easy rider...

Very nice! The tank it so cool looking and I love the pops of copper throughout.
It really is a shame we can't see each other's builds in person! I bet it really looks amazing up close!
Well done love the details
Thanks. There's lots of little stuff that's easy to miss.
It even has brass nipples on the old original rear rim!
I like it better in person too! The mix of crust and shine...

I still can't get over how cool that tank is, I thought the little vial of antifreeze on your winter build off bike was awesome, but vacuum tubes? Seriously, wow!:113:
Really digging your tank. Nice work!
Nice work getting pics where the tank can be seen Carl! Great build, probably your best yet, looking forward to seeing the next one!
Luke.

Tanks! This one freaks ME out every time I look at it. Six layers of plexi and a hand full of knurled and acorn nuts with bits of copper tubing between each layer. Plus 3 vacuum tubes and an assortment of capacitors and resistors thrown in for good measure. The shine plays off the grime of the bare metal/walnut stained frame pretty well.
The next one ? All I can say is Plasma...

The tank is way cool. Dig the cymbals too.
Thanks. I've used cymbals on guitars before but this is my first on a bike!

Steampunk meets vintage tube amp,great fun really nice build!!:thumbsup:

Steam? Really that's so 1900's... This bike is a 36'
We're into the Atomic Age now my friend!

Carl.

601508_655367581148296_64806233_n.jpg

Almost forgot the before...

Carl.

Superb work Carl!
Especially how you incorporated vacuum tubes, cymbals, and plexiglass into rockstar build!!
Congrats buddy!

Superb work Carl!
Especially how you incorporated vacuum tubes, cymbals, and plexiglass into rockstar build!!
Congrats buddy!
Thanks bro! Gotta use what you have at hand!
Your bike is rolling artwork too.

Carl.

601508_655367581148296_64806233_n.jpg

Just realized this picture
is from the day I bought this bike,
and the day I joined RRB!

Carl.

Latest posts

Back