Little Willy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My nephew William is not tall like the rest of the males in my extended family. He is however, very capable when handling two wheels as proven to me when visiting my brother's family last Fall. The bicycle his 'rents got for him is at least two sizes too big for him and he may never grow into it. A bike park is being built near their house, so he will need the right tool for the job there. I picked this 11" frame Alpinestars up a little while back and the only parts I plan on using from it are the frame, fork and seatpost clamp.

Willys.jpg

When that bike park happens, this bike will be so Sweet he won't want to go home.

I like the lines of that frame!

Today (so far) had some parts getting ordered up. It was also decided to use the original seatpost, which is still in great shape and serviceable. I was considering using 170mm cranks, but the small frame and rider on a pump track/flow trail build with BMX pedals seems to require 165mm cranks. Mostly black parts in mind, with a smattering of chrome/silver/polished thrown in for good measure. I already have the hubset and am taking a short roadtrip to get the hoops for this and a few other BMX conversions that are in-progress.

Something I already had around and am using, some Chromoly Fairdale MX Bars:
20220503_121910.jpg

One great thing for me about participating in the build-offs is that my shop and storage tend to get organized because of looking for parts I think I may have. One of these has been sitting out for a few days now and I *thought* there was another in the shed...there was!

20220505_122815.jpg

Time to do some spoke calcs and get some DT Competitions ordered up. Since he's a little guy, a racerboi weight-weenie wheelset is in order to help keep the weight down.

He just hit me up with an article about the pump track's progress.

Haha he's already hooked!
His younger brother is a super-jock and excels at any sport he tries...except mountain biking. William has a ton of raw/natural talent on two wheels and incredible stamina for a teenager. This is his one athletic endeavor where he can show his younger brother what-for. Having two older brothers who always had me residing in their athletic shadow, I get it and I want to give him the proper tool for the job.

They cleaned up and laced up rather nicely. I had thought I was four black nipples shy, but a little rummaging gave up more than a few over what was needed. I'll probably swap the front hub hardware out for black nuts and washers, just to match the rear hub.

20220521_080806.jpg

Last edited:
Doing other things and chpiping away at this a bit this morning...
20220524_144852.jpg

Some rummaging found a perfect BB, followed by a 40t Shimano chainring.
20220524_193156.jpg

All that's left is attaching and hooking up the black Avid Single Digits to match the Speed Dial levers.

If I keep the bike in the breakfast nook, it'll probably get finished tomorrow.

What are those bars?
Fairdale HBAR MX 28x4

They were take-offs from a cruiser I modded a few years ago for a friend. He wanted to switch to apehangers a couple of weeks ago, so I got them back along with a BMX stem.

Latest posts

Back