LONE RANGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased this Mead Ranger frame and fork. I'm pretty sure these bikes originally took 28" wheels and tires, which is the same size wheel as 700c and 29". I have several wheel choices in my storage unit which could work. The plan (right now) is to build it up as a vintage bike with modern single-speed/fixie components. I'm gonna do things differently this time: I'll build it once, making sure it all works, both mechanically and visually, then take it apart for finish work, then do the final assembly. I might even finish my Lone Ranger in a nice shade of Hi-Ho Silver.
16633767638327979813204417303086.jpg
20220928_125627.jpg

Sweet frame SD! Looking forward to this build!

Great starting point! The Mead frame and fork look to be in pretty nice condition. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this build.

The frame and fork are in pretty good shape, BUT the unlucky "7" seat post is rusted solid inside the seat tube. I applied penetrating oil quite liberally and put the post in a vise, twisted it hard, and voila!, I twisted the top of the "7" right off! Not the result I wanted. I cleaned off the top of the remaining stub with my Dremel, and called it quits. The one-piece crank set gave me a little less trouble. I am toying with the idea of making it a three-speed by using a derailleur and a three ring, three-piece crankset, since "three" is the theme of this build-off. **PICS TO FOLLOW**

Then I dug out a three-ring, three-piece crank set which I will refinish when it's time:
20221002_154846.jpg

After that, I pored through my small parts bins, bin by bin, and gathered what I feel I need for the build. This took a while, but I believe it will pay off in time saved during the actual build.
20221002_161959-3.jpg

Finally, I had a box full of small parts.
20221002_162319.jpg

This is Debra Harry back in the day. For some reason, her photo was on my desktop with my build pics. Maybe to serve as motivation. She can ride my bike any time.
297467463_4858243774277648_3424192560617393259_n.jpg

That's all I got for now. Have fun, you guys.

As someone once posted on a BACK 40 inside shot, "the organization is so calming". Love your workspace SD!

And Debra Harry, well, crank up Blondie, "Heart of Glass".....

I rode observed trials for several years (motorcycle) and at a lot of events there would also be sections for bicycle trials. Monty bikes were pretty well represented. I think they are out of the trials sport these days.

I rode observed trials for several years (motorcycle) and at a lot of events there would also be sections for bicycle trials. Monty bikes were pretty well represented. I think they are out of the trials sport these days.
I did some research and they still build trials bikes. They have a very complete line of bikes.

I forgot to show you my current favorite skinny wheel ride. It's an all chrome Sears from the '70s maybe. All original except for tires and Brooks saddle.
View attachment 211278
Looks more like a 60's bike, no BMA6 decal and the pedals are an earlier style.

I was very busy yesterday with the Lone Ranger. First, I glued down the head badge and held it in place with zip ties:
20221003_164052.jpg

There's no hole for a rear or front caliper. I decided to go with just a rear, so I rigged up a rear caliper mount. I've done this before, and it works fine.
20221003_163935.jpg
20221003_163903.jpg

Proper modern single-speed/fixies have three-piece crank sets. I had a used conversion kit that accepts sealed bottom bracket cartridges, so I put that to use. This conversion kit has three long, skinny bolts that tighten up the left and right bearing cups. It works beautifully, IF you align the three holes perfectly with each other.
20221003_115724.jpg

Here's that tensioner I mentioned earlier. I hope it allows for shifting through the three chain rings.
20221003_123447.jpg

I'm considering several shifter arrangements. I'm figuring the simpler, the better. I'll sleep on it for now, on my surrealistic pillow:
R.jpg

In the '60s, Grace Slick was my goddess.

I'm thinking some kind of friction shifter, so you can 'trim' your gears and get them as smooth running as possible.

I really wanted to use that nice little tensioner, but it didn't have the range I need to shift through all three gears. So I tried this derailleur:
20221003_164040.jpg

Added a friction shifter to the seat tube and mocked up a shifter cable:
20221003_164144-2.jpg

20221004_144301.jpg

. . . then, I stood back and looked at it all, and thought "This just ain't right!" I'm trying to modernize an old moto bike frame, which is already kinda busy looking with the twin top bars and the truss rod fork. Derailleurs, a shifter, cable and three-ring chain wheel only serve to muck up the look I want. So I entirely changed my direction. I'm going single speed! I'd prefer a clean, cable-free two-speed kickback wheelset, but I have budgetary considerations, so single speed it is.

For me, a gear ratio of 2.5 to 1 works best. I dug out another crank set that brings me quite close to 2.5 to 1, and came up with this:
20221004_152754.jpg

. . . that's all I got for now. The miserable 100+ temps have gone and it's nice again in Tucson, so, for just a little while, I'm gonna soak up the sun.
R.jpg

Latest posts

Back