Looking for more info on a possible Elgin bike and a Donalson Jockey Cycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's no rocking in the bearings and the wheel is in line with the bike, I'd leave the fork alone.
If my only goal for this bike was to just get it working and ride it, I'd do just that. That said, I plan to customize this one at some point, so odds are the fork's getting swapped out. Might as well, just about every other part on this bike's been swapped out already!

You could try a Schwinn fork but it may be a little longer than the original. With a straight fork take it for a ride and see if it rides in a straight line. You will most likely find the frame is fine.

The frame in the photos is a Murray built WFlyer. You can see the tubes near the head tube are not smooth like yours. I’m sure the head tubes and seat mast electro forged sections have stubs to which the tubes are welded and the joins often look uneven.

The last image shows the head tube section on a Chicago built electro forged Schwinn. Murray was doing this before Schwinn. You can read more about electro forging on the Sheldon Brown bike website.
8EDA942C-A1F5-4DEF-9E0F-7E044A6FEA06.jpeg
9F0FC867-B1C3-4E2A-B0AC-C091752C255A.jpeg

9DA5375F-190F-4254-86AF-079072CAB457.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back