Looking to land my first bike shop job

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
First, let me apologize in advance if this should be in another forum - it was difficult to decide which one was most appropriate.

Second, I also apologize if this has already be discussed - I couldn't find it by searching.

Anyways, I'm moving to a new area and I will need a part-time job (well, I could swing full-time for this first year). During a recent visit to the area I'm moving to I stopped at the bike shop right down the road from where I'll be living. I asked if they are currently hiring and the response was that they are "never really advertising but always seeking good people to add to their team". I plan to try to set up a job interview next time I'm in the city. Since I know there are a lot of people here who have experience working in bike shops, I thought this would provide a wealth of good advice. Here's a little about me, and then you can tell me if I stand a shot at all, and if so, how to best go about securing the job:

I would be happy to work as either a salesman or shop mechanic (do bike shops usually have employees serve as just one or the other? Or both?) On the sales side of things, I feel like it's worth noting that I will be pursuing a degree in Physical Therapy. I have to feel like a knowledge of biomechanics is extremely applicable to a job like this. On top of that, while I am not as knowledgable as members of this forum, I am still MUCH more knowledgable than most when it comes to singles speeds (with a little knowledge of internally geared bikes as well). The shop consists of approximately 1/3 single speeds/internal geared bikes (Raleighs and Electras), 1/3 MTB's, and 1/3 road bikes. This would be my greatest liability, though - I know next to nothing about derallieur-based bikes. While certainly I can try to learn as much as I can in the next month and a half, there's no denying that many customers would come into the store knowing more than I would. On top of that, while I can spend all day telling you about the fine subtle nuances that seperate one vintage Schwinn from another, most modern MTB's and road bikes admittedly all look the same to me :whistle:.

Things are pretty similar on the mechanical side of things - I can fix dang near anything on a cruiser, but my knowledge of derailleur-based mechanics is lacking, and I also understand that the work I do on my cruisers does not involve the kind of precision that goes into fancy top-of-the-line modern bikes. That being said, I would always love to learn how to fix more things :).

So, with all of that said, does it sound like it even makes sense for me to apply? I feel like (if they were willing to take a chance on me) I would learn a ton and it would be a great experience. There are no bike schools remotely in the area, so I'm sure that the people they hire and mostly (if not entirely) self-taught. What kind of qualifications/experience did you have when you started your first bike job? How did you go about landing the job?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It makes complete sense for you to apply!
You sound motivated, curious, and articulate, all great mechanic qualities.
Salesmen need be honest and not opinionated. When I was young I had a GT thing, still do, and it caused me
not to sell other brands, as well.
My best advice is, grease cables, and bearings! Check your work, ride.the bike! Those were my bads, and my mechanics worst points. Basically, slow down to hurry up, work smarter not faster, good luck!

Salesmen need be honest and not opinionated.

I really like the way you phrased this. It actually brings up what I think might be one of the difficult areas for me, though.

I hold a very strong opinion (to the point I pretty much see it as fact) that alot of people don't need anything fancier than a single speed or internally geared bike. Now, in the city I currently live in, there are two bike shops, and I don't believe either has a single one-speed or internally geared bike. Incidentally, there aren't many bikers in this city either.

Now in the city I'm moving to, 1/3 of the bikes at the bike shop are single speed or internally geared. Incidentally, there are a LOT more cyclists in the city as well. Coincidence?

I've always had a suspicion that the reason it's so hard to come across simple bikes in bike shops is because there's less money in it for the bike shop (less repairs you need an expert for, less features that are of minimal benefit to the customer, etc.). So, if I were to land this job, should I expect to be told to push the most expensive bikes? Or would I be okay selling someone a bike that isn't expensive, but better suits their needs?

I always tried the upsale, hardly ever worked. They have to see and ride the bike they buy.
Most often past $300(more now?)
people know exactly what they want..
Internal hub fun! :)

I got a job at a shop by being at the shop regularly, being obviously very "into" bikes, and basically making it clear that I'd be a good "ambassador" to the shop. Being that I worked at a coffee shop where a lot of riders stopped in a lot, the lbs owner knew there might be some synergy there. Small, casual, mom-n-pop shops tend to have a lot of overlap between sales and wrench work-- you do what you can as best you can, and learn the stuff you don't know just yet as you go.

Bigger, more serious/"pro" shops tend to keep the roles more separate. The mechanically inclined guys are at the stand as much as possible, turning wrenches and interacting with the customers very little. The guys who get really worked up about racing and/or the latest tech, but who can't turn a wrench, they do the sales thing. It kinda makes sense if you think about it, but although I've never worked at a shop like that, I've had friends who did. Doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

I think you have a good shot of landing that job, if they have any openings available. Don't take this the wrong way, but if derailers mystify you, you're not going to impress a shop owner with your mechanical aptitude. (FWIW, derailers are super easy to work with, if everything is compatible and the hanger's straight and the cable's tight, you're good to go. Actually, that's only true for tuning; there's a lot more to initial set-up, but once you've done it a few times, it's easy....) I'd concentrate mostly on building an impression that you're willing/able to provide excellent customer service, that you value/appreciate shops like the one at which you're applying, and that you'll be presenting a positive image by repping the shop at every opportunity. If you ride all the time, are involved in the cycling community, you care about cycling and other cyclists, etc. Good wrenches will keep existing customers coming back, and I bet you can be taught to be a good wrench in time. However, good ppl making good impressions on new customers and out in the community is the type of employee that can potentially build up a customer base, and that's something you really can't be taught to do. If you can show the owner that side of you, I bet he'll go for it.

Just remember: shop gigs don't pay much at all. Also, ride to the interview, if at all possible.

One more thing, if he just offers you 1 or 2 shifts a week at first, take it. Foot in the door and all of that, plus shop discounts rule and it'll probably be easy to fill in the gaps with another p/t job if necessary....

I always tried the upsale, hardly ever worked. They have to see and ride the bike they buy.
Most often past $300(more now?)
people know exactly what they want..
Internal hub fun! :)

Yeah, I'm thinking it's more now. I can't help but think of two of my co-workers; they commute during the summer and they have carbon-fiber frames, disc brakes, and all the other fun expensive things, but I'd be shocked if they went into the bike shop knowing exactly what they want.

I got a job at a shop by being at the shop regularly, being obviously very "into" bikes, and basically making it clear that I'd be a good "ambassador" to the shop. Being that I worked at a coffee shop where a lot of riders stopped in a lot, the lbs owner knew there might be some synergy there. Small, casual, mom-n-pop shops tend to have a lot of overlap between sales and wrench work-- you do what you can as best you can, and learn the stuff you don't know just yet as you go.

Bigger, more serious/"pro" shops tend to keep the roles more separate. The mechanically inclined guys are at the stand as much as possible, turning wrenches and interacting with the customers very little. The guys who get really worked up about racing and/or the latest tech, but who can't turn a wrench, they do the sales thing. It kinda makes sense if you think about it, but although I've never worked at a shop like that, I've had friends who did. Doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

I think you have a good shot of landing that job, if they have any openings available. Don't take this the wrong way, but if derailers mystify you, you're not going to impress a shop owner with your mechanical aptitude. (FWIW, derailers are super easy to work with, if everything is compatible and the hanger's straight and the cable's tight, you're good to go. Actually, that's only true for tuning; there's a lot more to initial set-up, but once you've done it a few times, it's easy....) I'd concentrate mostly on building an impression that you're willing/able to provide excellent customer service, that you value/appreciate shops like the one at which you're applying, and that you'll be presenting a positive image by repping the shop at every opportunity. If you ride all the time, are involved in the cycling community, you care about cycling and other cyclists, etc. Good wrenches will keep existing customers coming back, and I bet you can be taught to be a good wrench in time. However, good ppl making good impressions on new customers and out in the community is the type of employee that can potentially build up a customer base, and that's something you really can't be taught to do. If you can show the owner that side of you, I bet he'll go for it.

Just remember: shop gigs don't pay much at all. Also, ride to the interview, if at all possible.

One more thing, if he just offers you 1 or 2 shifts a week at first, take it. Foot in the door and all of that, plus shop discounts rule and it'll probably be easy to fill in the gaps with another p/t job if necessary....

Excellent; this was extremely thorough and exactly what I was looking for.

The derailleur comment was not offensive; rather, it was exactly what I needed to hear. I actually have two bikes that I own specifically to learn derailleur maintenance on. I have made zero progress on that goal and really need to get started :p!

And thanks for the advice on emphasizing community outreach. I can see how that could be important to bike shops and I also would love to play that role (any time I get a chance to spread the good word about bicycles I'm on it).

Lastly, I love the bit about biking to the interview - I probably would have done so anyways (I do about 99% of my commuting by bike), but I might not have considered how much my bike (or the act of biking to the interview) would say about me.

Glad to help. When you ride in, choose a bike that's lookin' well-tuned and totally sorted; you're not a pro bike mechanic yet, but if you roll up on a bike that shows your bike-wrench aptitude, that makes a good impression.

As for the community outreach-- you want to emphasize that you're involved in the cycling community, and that you're willing/able to find synergy between your social cycling activities and promoting a shop that you're proud of.... a shop like his. However, I do some hippie charity bikework at a local c-op, but I probably wouldn't emphasize that in an interview at a shop, b/c some owners may look at co-ops as competition. But I'd definitely mention that I ride daily, that I do rec rides with friends, associate with ppl who are fanatical about customizing bikes, coach Special Olympics cycling, etc. These are the connections that could translate to new customers. In truth, the co-op does too, but it'd be harder to "sell" the co-op-to-customer connection during single interview.

In a nutshell, you want to let the LBS guy know that you love to ride, that you love other riders, and that you'd like to love his shop so you can roll all that up in a big-picture way, to the mutual benefit of the shop, its existing & potential customers, and yourself.

Again, good luck... I think you got a really good shot at it.:rockout:

Latest posts

Back