Loopy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok , Personal VenVetta build was done almost before I began so i want to start another bomber build that will hopefully keep me busy for a while. I seem to have a frame screaming to me to build as a klunker/ bomber. It’s a 1940’ish Colson LOOPtail, aka “Loopy” This frame has been mocked up as strandie, a lowrider and boardtrack influenced cruiser that’s why I earlier said I didn’t have a prewar frame, it was mocked up in different style..No style has stuck till now, I’m commited to creating a bomber. All I have for now is frame, I have parts but I’m not committed to anything yet,, so here we go. First picture is of the pile, this yard art bike was when I bought it
5B07F6CC-EA45-4A12-B55F-01108B2CC730.jpeg
swhy anyone would even want it as yard art( with child’s seat) is beyond me. Unlike my other pretty vanilla framed builds this Colson has some STYLE, the rear triangle is unique, flat blade like stays connected with the loopy rear facing dropout plates This is frame as it’s sits now, bare metal and several coats of clear coat.
4D422C5B-CB62-46FB-B37C-B34F58847FF0.jpeg
727897B6-AE2C-453B-9A1D-05543C3D1C73.jpeg
23CF6481-43FE-4686-92E1-19C6649AAD80.jpeg

I was reluctant to use this as off-road bike because it has been repaired at down tube/ bottom bracket years ago. But after seeing a picture of a guy who completely snapped the down tube on a schwinn klunker and repaired it with a gusset and is still riding it hard. I started to reconsider my stance. I will not be putting it through anywhere near the rigors of that guy. And I seriously doubt it will just snap, but would crack and give warning by starting to creak. The welds werent pretty but solid looking, smoothed them up alittle so look better clear coated.

Thanks Matti, but it’s is Actually brazing you like the look of, only weld is at repair at bottom bracket. It does look cool bare, that’s why I couldn’t get myself to paint it.
Lol I knew it was brazing, but you mentioned welds in your post (now I see in reference to repairs), so I went with that.

Decided on the wheels. Had a drum brake laced to a Weimann black As7x rim with 12g stainless spokes for about a year now . Got it from a Caber in my state ( 3 hrs away). Didn’t have matching rear wheel, so ordered one with Shimano coaster from my buddy Luke at the Lbs.
AC303A18-8C8A-434B-87BA-080A5D083554.jpeg
looked through some fork options , 1 bladed, a bare metal GT dyno fork and a beach cruiser fork

Attachments

• 05EAE2AC-7031-433E-8551-7BB074B110AD.jpeg
    05EAE2AC-7031-433E-8551-7BB074B110AD.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 42
Well it’s bare metal, diameter of fork looks good in relation to frame tube size, but I like the look of the straight bmx / cruiser forks as used a on a lot of klunkers. I have a pair but there on another bike of mine. I may have to tear front apart on that bike. ( I have a fork that’s more correct for that frame now that I’ve contemplated switching anyway). This fork came off KHS sundancer beach cruiser.
EAC65F50-6455-4065-A1E9-F7CDB723210F.jpeg

Got some more stuff in mail today,
3C77153F-7D55-4508-9027-DE9AD589777A.jpeg
DEB4EE85-F1B1-44AC-9AD3-3200E4E6207A.jpeg
wanted widest tire I could fit, had plenty of clearance with 2.125 so went with 2.4 width. Didn’t want overly aggressive tire so opted for this more bmx-ish maxxis Holy Roller. Read a lot of reviews and these seem to get good reviews from people using as I intend to. A lot of gravel and x country type trails. Big knobs have more resistance then I like or need. Like gumwalls but they seem hard to come by in 26” right now.

Got some more stuff in mail today, View attachment 179390View attachment 179391wanted widest tire I could fit, had plenty of clearance with 2.125 so went with 2.4 width. Didn’t want overly aggressive tire so opted for this more bmx-ish maxxis Holy Roller. Read a lot of reviews and these seem to get good reviews from people using as I intend to. A lot of gravel and x country type trails. Big knobs have more resistance then I like or need. Like gumwalls but they seem hard to come by in 26” right now.
Solid choice. Great tires

Sooo much to love about this build. A Looptail Colson, is just cool!! It has that extra wide width for that really cool tire. 😎 👍

I do understand your reluctance to use a repaired frame. I've only had one early frame come apart on the trail. Not such fun to limp a broken bike down the mountain.

Got some more stuff in mail today, View attachment 179390View attachment 179391wanted widest tire I could fit, had plenty of clearance with 2.125 so went with 2.4 width. Didn’t want overly aggressive tire so opted for this more bmx-ish maxxis Holy Roller. Read a lot of reviews and these seem to get good reviews from people using as I intend to. A lot of gravel and x country type trails. Big knobs have more resistance then I like or need. Like gumwalls but they seem hard to come by in 26” right now.
I would love a set of those...

I kinda been procrastinating tearing the front end apart to get cruiser fork I want to try on this build. I had this springer for leaning against the wall so I thought I’d throw it on Loopy and see what it looked like
A1A7FD46-C73A-4AA9-8DBB-12A9DCFC2299.jpeg
i pushed down on the front end and I thought” this thing is gonna be a pogo stick”I let it sit and went for a bike ride, the whole time thinking “ if that fork would work?”, cuz I liked the look. Got home and had to see, so threw easiest, fastest parts to get to, on it, put chain on and went for a ride.( no brakes) I was amazed when I got on it and rode, even standing up, there was a lot less flex then I fought, took across my yard and it worked well. Gave it some thought, looked at bunch of klunker pics.Already visited suspension with VenVetta, this build needs traditional look with this looptail frame. I want frame to be centerpiece of this build. Not really confident in this fork anyway, need to get that other bike unburied and fork off.
8DC27808-6149-4B06-8272-CD92FECDE924.jpeg
got bike dug out and took off cruiser fork and trusses I was after
2CC310F1-D117-43C2-8625-A278392FCEC0.jpeg
0BA75B2E-9450-4D7C-B35E-66C6178D8538.jpeg
these are forks I’m going with. The moto bars/ bmx stem just for visual, crank and pedals just so I can ride ( notice how short crank arms are, were on lowrider!)The paint on forks actually doesn’t look that bad, kinda fake patina, silver base, with mat green, black and clay primer misted on. Not sure if gonna strip to bare metal or paint forks a contrasting color to match grips/ bars, undetermined at this point. The trusses are super crusty so they will be cleaned up and painted.

Attachments

• 19F8B916-9655-49B2-88AA-72C70FD76DCE.jpeg
    19F8B916-9655-49B2-88AA-72C70FD76DCE.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back