Low Flyer...Rat 53

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Low Flyer "Rat 53" has been brazenly advertising itself as a better X53 here for the last couple months.
I'm ready to drop the hubris and admit the obvious....There is no building a better X53.
While it's true that the famous icon built by Western Flyer is a rather flimsy machine, the groundbreaking style and stance of the Original make it one of the true classics.

Taking on the challenge of recreating the X53 as a custom build is by far the most fun I've had bike building to date.
My version is very much a variation on a theme...At no time was it intended to be a replica, or even a close approximation.
That fact gave me the freedom I needed to get creative and even Rat the thing out as I saw fit :)

The lowered stance, lightly raked out front wheel and slightly stretched frame were my starting points on the build.
At first I had imagined that I'd bolt on the tank, the rack and whatever other dodads I could from my crusty old X53 ( Thanks CeeBee !) And call it good.
But once I decided to take a crack at fabricating the tank, I knew I was going all in...
So, here it is.
Not a better X53...
A Rat53
:)

IMG_20170329_090622.jpg
IMG_20170329_085400.jpg
IMG_20170329_090813.jpg

Well, I've given up on getting my video posted...But I did get a few more pics to share.
First off, the inspiration for the build.
Next the grips... I think these are the only actual Western Flyer parts on the bike ;)
And then a few more from various angles.
Liked having the old X there as an interesting back drop...:)

And, thanks to Falstaff... Here's my build thread !

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/low-flyer-building-a-better-x53.102054/

IMG_20170331_182415.jpg
IMG_20170331_183111.jpg
IMG_20170331_182809.jpg
IMG_20170331_182642.jpg
IMG_20170331_182856.jpg
IMG_20170331_182613.jpg
IMG_20170331_183257.jpg

Last edited:
Rat53....fits perfectly! Your custom touches and design work really make this a standout build. :41:

I can't edit your post, but you can copy and paste the link.

That tank is truly inspirational!
You definitely have one of my votes with this baby!
It was a tall order to build a tribute to an iconic bike, but you rose to the challenge in spades and rode away with a true iconic build all your own!!
Just amazing man!

That tank is truly inspirational!
You definitely have one of my votes with this baby!
It was a tall order to build a tribute to an iconic bike, but you rose to the challenge in spades and rode away with a true iconic build all your own!!
Just amazing man!
Awesome build.
Everything works just right. I love and appreciate for sure the work that went into the steel mesh tank, chain guard , rack
and the color combination...perfecto.
:thumbsup:
franco

Thanks so much you guys!
I really had a blast participating in this build off... Already have some ideas cooking for the next one you can be sure ;)

Latest posts

Back