Low level

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been a while since I have been here,life takes you away on different paths sometimes but I never forget where my passion is
this is basically a "mambo" branded frame I built up into what you see
IMG_0296_zpsi7ofxnbe.jpg

IMG_0297_zpszgavodaq.jpg

IMG_0312_zpsprgxpihr.jpg

IMG_0313_zpsg9wn1j9o.jpg

IMG_0314_zpsn2oedhv9.jpg

IMG_0315_zpsvsliiz5z.jpg

Ran the brake cable through the frame
IMG_0316_zpsmmzjr26f.jpg

IMG_0317_zpsthlvyntk.jpg

IMG_0318_zpsovqzvcy9.jpg

IMG_0320_zpsmbygnrza.jpg

IMG_0321_zps4iluxnhm.jpg

Great looking cruiser mate ! Where in Australia are you ?

Sent from my 5046I using Tapatalk

American old skool flo
thanx,I wasn't sure what direction I was going to go with this build,the frame was bought as a complete bike on clearance for $100 many years ago and I used the wheels for my In the weeds build,and I basically stripped it after that and hung the frame on the wall for many years,scored the ape hangers awhile ago from a swap deal,then recently scored some bulk deals on lowrider parts which I couldn't pass up as that stuff is really hard to get here in New Zealand so decided to put this build together to see how it would turn out,I drilled the hole for the brake cable to run through the frame as the original wheel had a pedal back brake hub but the new wheel is just a single speed hub so had to put on a brake and as there was no cable guides the cleanest option was internal routing,the bandana serves both the street look and also to protect the frame from the gold lowering crown that would hit the frame when turning
to me its got that old skool cali beach or east L.A barrio look

Your bike is the "Low Life" at its best.
thank you,it seems to be the direction I am headed into build wise,the lack of springer fork/cost of buying even secondhand and the cost of buying overseas and shipping to NZ makes it very hard to do builds like this,I always have looked at lots of things and thought "that needs to be slammed"I am soon going to redo my sons bike so will make a build post soon

Are you SURE you're not from Southern California? Well done!
maybe in spirit at least,well my teen years growing up in England I embraced the Hip Hop culture 100% and got into graffiti art,and with watching Yo MTV Raps and seeing lowrider cars and bikes in the music videos with snoop dog,coolio and cypress hill I was hooked on the lowrider scene,spent my late teens on an airbase in New Mexico so although it wasn't cali I did get to embrace the american way of life,back here in New Zealand theres not too many people do what me and Glen do but my favorite build style would be the cali beach and lowrider builds

I really like the look of that Springer..............much better than the extreme bend look to get it down that low.
thank you,lowering crowns come in handy to lower the ride height on standard springers without having to go with the bent lowrider style and suits cruisers better to give a better stance

thank you,lowering crowns come in handy to lower the ride height on standard springers without having to go with the bent lowrider style and suits cruisers better to give a better stance
I assume it limits the turning angle a little more though?

I assume it limits the turning angle a little more though?
yes indeed,depending on type of fork,frame and how tight you wind in the bolt to compress the spring its all trial and error,you can widen the forks by welding some tube onto the ends of the steerer T section and using a longer bolt,using a longer axle with spacers for the front wheel and very simple to make a crown for the top,the wider fork will allow a better turn radius,I planned to do this with this bike but was built to be a quickish flip so sold with a warning that there was only about 70 degree turn radius,I supplied the original short crown which gave it around 170 degree turn,sad to let this go since apes and springers are a very rare item in New Zealand so always sad to let these items go on a sale,but I only had maybe $150 in it and got $500 for it which is a very good price for the buyer,so the bills got payed,this came out way better than I imagined and would be a keeper but some things you have to let go.....no no I just have dust in my eye,men don't cry:grin:

Latest posts

Back