Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my wheel decals in the other day and man they look good. Also just got my new chickity china go pro knock off so I'll be testing that out soon.
IMG_20200924_111105982.jpg
IMG_20200924_111108907_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200924_111054410_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200924_111101868_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200923_195901734.jpg

Found this gem tonight and picked up 2 others off of his junk pile.
Screenshot_20220403-215104.png

Screenshot_20220403-215059.png

Will get pictures of the other 2 in the morning. One is an old Monarch and some kind of bmx bike with a 3 piece crank. Paid $100 for the 3 of them.

So I went to the pawn shop on my lunch break from work and found a very nice cruiser. Hyper bike brand? Never heard of them but I like the frame geometry and it feels well made. For $60 I'll take it.
IMG_20220404_101045420.jpg

IMG_20220404_101054451.jpg

Then I went after work to Amboy to look at an old rusty bike and turned out to be an old Ben Hur. It's seen better days but it's mostly complete and looks like a fun project. He wanted $75 so I started looking in his junk pile and he says the more you buy the better deal I'll make.

IMG_20220404_100827152.jpg

I find this old "Monark" lol they didn't do bad on the paintwork so I think just some tires and tubes and a few parts and keep it as found.
IMG_20220404_100707731.jpg

He says $15 and says he has the wheels around here somewhere so I'm like yeah put it on the pile.

IMG_20220404_100612696.jpg

K?_me1 super? Can't make out what exactly it says.
IMG_20220404_100620340.jpg

Then I spot this kinda cool bmx bike with a 3 piece crank and small drive line he says how about $10 and we make it an even hundred for everything. Done!
IMG_20220404_100958890.jpg

Then I remember I'm driving my Saab... and forgot ratchet straps as I thought I was only getting one bike. So the Monark in the front seat, the hyper cruiser and Ben Hur in the trunk with back seat folded, and the bmx in the back seat half sticking out the window handlebars whistling in the wind the whole way home.

The Hyper cruiser and BMX are Wally World bikes. They aren't terrible, just make sure there's grease everywhere. Many leave the store bone dry, and the owners don't typically do much maintenance. Or harvest the cruiser parts to get the Monark rolling. A lot of members grab up those kinds of bikes just to get the the wheels

Thanks for the info. I kinda like the cruiser so I may just debadge it and enjoy it as a cheap cruiser. I did a quick service on it and the back wheel was loose at the bearing cones so I tightened that up and put a bit of oil in there for now. I'll pull it apart and do a full service some other time.

As far as the Monark goes I think the original wheels will work fine after a good cleaning and repacking with fresh grease. Still waiting on tires and tubes to come in from eBay which I found out are actually cheaper at Walmart... Grrr. Then I have a seat, grips, bars, and lots of stuff I pulled off another bike I parted out last week then it will probably go up for sale to put some cash back in the old pocket.

I got new tires and tubes for the bmx, put it together, and took it for a short ride. Still need to oil the brake cables and swap brake handles with the nicer pair I have in my parts drawer. And I'll probably swap it to a 1 piece crank I have laying around before I kick it down the road for a small profit.

IMG_20220404_142040003.jpg

Then the Ben Hur I'm thinking build off material and a full restoration and modification.

Looks like you got a good deal! That Ben Hur's got some fine patina, but I could see how you'd want to restore it. While I usually just get those late-model Wal-Mart bikes for the wheels (that is, when I can get them for free,) I do like the shape of the frame on that Hyper bike. I think with the right modifications, that bike could look real sharp. It's practically begging for a tank and a chrome triple tree fork! Looks like that Monark started out as a step-through frame, and was converted to look somewhat like a cantilever frame. Whoever did the conversion and paint did pretty well, I think. I think that bike would look good just with a set of chrome wheels and some white walls. Great score! Sounds like you're a master-packer if you were able to fit all that in your car!

The Ben Hur is a Snyder made bike. (Rollfast), looks like early 50's. The serial number on the bottom bracket is the reverse code thing (SN 35 is 1953, SN 25 is 1952, etc.)

I bought one of those Hyper cruisers when they went on sale for 99 bucks (in Hawaii). It's a copy of the Electra basic cruiser. I just put on a new set of tires, and a neighbor offered 120 for it, away it went so I could invest in my Dyno. It rode well after I adjusted and lubed everything.

50600_2e78f9165914efe62bf6adb61fdbb546.jpg

I like the blue! You're kinda tempting me to paint it to match my fatty and use the whitewalls I have coming on the cruiser and put the cruiser's black walls on the Ben Hur.
IMG_20220404_101014189.jpg

And wow you are right it does look a lot like an Electra.
pBYrnzk.jpg

IMG_20220404_101101884.jpg

Looks like that Monark started out as a step-through frame, and was converted to look somewhat like a cantilever frame. Whoever did the conversion and paint did pretty well, I think.
Good eye!

So I did some close looking at that frame and I noticed the welds on the cantilever bars and top tube are different than the other welds. Not bad welds at all but just different. Where the bar would have connected down low was nicely shaved and you couldn't tell anything had been done there. The paint was all hand done and done nicely and doesn't look to be done recently. I'm kinda thinking leave it alone, keep the patina on the wheels and all. Then add some fat tires to fill those fenders. I like the bike all the more now.

Good eye!

So I did some close looking at that frame and I noticed the welds on the cantilever bars and top tube are different than the other welds. Not bad welds at all but just different. Where the bar would have connected down low was nicely shaved and you couldn't tell anything had been done there. The paint was all hand done and done nicely and doesn't look to be done recently. I'm kinda thinking leave it alone, keep the patina on the wheels and all. Then add some fat tires to fill those fenders. I like the bike all the more now.
It's always fun to figure out the history of a bike, especially one that's been modified. I think you've got the right idea for that bike. Leave it as is, but add the right set of wheels and tires and get it rolling.

It's always fun to figure out the history of a bike, especially one that's been modified. I think you've got the right idea for that bike. Leave it as is, but add the right set of wheels and tires and get it rolling.
I am thinking of using these parts I stripped off an old skinny tire bike I parted out. The chrome on the bars and crank are perfect just need a good cleaning and the seat and grips match perfectly and fit the vibe the frame is giving me. I'm digging it.
IMG_20220405_233541318.jpg

Stopped at the local pawn shop on my lunch break and found the perfect parts bike for my "Monark" project. Nice 24" wheel set, like new whitewall tires with good tubes, good chain, aluminum frame so has a bit of scrap value, and a few other odds and ends all for $20.
IMG_20220406_213525698.jpg

Also got my legit old-school Yakima bike racks in from eBay today so I got to test them out. I love them already and I can tell I'm going to be using them a lot.
Screenshot_20220406-222209.png

IMG_20220404_100707731.jpg

Stopped at the local pawn shop on my lunch break and found the perfect parts bike for my "Monark" project. Nice 24" wheel set, like new whitewall tires with good tubes, good chain, aluminum frame so has a bit of scrap value, and a few other odds and ends all for $20.
View attachment 190031

Also got my legit old-school Yakima bike racks in from eBay today so I got to test them out. I love them already and I can tell I'm going to be using them a lot.
View attachment 190032

View attachment 190033
Man, that's a good looking Monark frame.. I just put together a Rocket style frame that i bought off a CABE member last fall All i have to do is put on a chain guard, but it's ride able as she stands... What year is this by chance? Good luck... Razin...

Not sure what year and also not sure it's a even a monarch. It was originally a ladies frame. The welds look really good just a little different than the other ones. Very clever. It fooled me till I got it home and really started going over it.

A friend of mine asked if I'd help him unload a truck today so I rode with him to a place I'd never been. A dump yard/recycling center. They had a row of bikes right by the scales so I decided to look once we were done and I bought 2 BMX bikes with the little cash I had on me. First one a 1986 Schwinn Predator Qualifier and a 2004-2006 Haro Nyquist Code Two. The Schwinn is very original and will clean up well. The Haro needs a seat and post but otherwise complete. Both have flat tires but haven't tried to air them up yet. Going back tomorrow to see a few more projects.

IMG_20220804_121649045.jpg
IMG_20220804_210827908.jpg
IMG_20220804_210907672.jpg
IMG_20220804_210930109.jpg

IMG_20220804_210820645.jpg

Latest posts

Back