Lurker no more!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm Paul. I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while, but I thought I'd come out of the shadows.

Like most people I loved riding my bikes when I was a kid, but what with going off to college and getting married and moving around and getting involved in community theatre and having kids and getting fat, I hadn't ridden in probably 30 years or so. But this summer I decided to start riding again for fun and for fitness and I started doing research on what kid of bike to get.

My LBS suggested a $500 Trek Fitness Hybrid, but I would need to upgrade the hubs and ride on fat tires because of my weight. $800 or so total.

I went online and saw some really great bikes built specifically for big guys like myself (Worksman and Zise) but again, prices through the stratosphere, especially for a guy who works in public education and has three kids.

Then I saw an article the suggested that I forget all of that crap and get an old bike at a yard sale and just ride it.

That's when I found this forum. That's when I discovered that bicycles are not all affordable carbon and aluminium and 27 speeds and look like serious work. Here, it seems, there is a community that has serious fun finding, buying and fixing up and riding old bikes.

Inspired, I bought a pair of Murray Westports at a yard sale for $35. $35 for the pair.

I had this idea that my wife and I could ride together, but my daughter appropriated the women's bike--my wife wants a trike. I ride as often as I can, but as with many things, I find I am not as young as I used to be and, being fat, even the slightest rise is difficult on a cruiser. but I've gotten to where I can do 5 km +/- around my relatively flat neighborhood. I would love to be able to ride in the Tour de Cure that the university I work for does every June.

I was perusing Craigslist and came across a couple of kids bikes and got them for $40. My wife thinks I overpaid and the seller should have paid me to come get them.

A 1965 (according to the serial number) AMF Renegade. This one has a Western Auto branded banana seat, so I'm guessing it was a Buzz bike. The headbadge is unreadable but the seat tube has a BMA/6 sticker and a sticker that says it was manufactured by AMF. I had bike similar to this in the early '70s, but it was purple and the brand was Flying O. I loved that bike so much that when I got a 5 speed cruiser (also Flying O) I kept riding it. I eventually had a wreck that destroyed the front wheel and fork, and (I think) bent the frame. I'm gonna restore this one to her former glory. Even when I get to my target weight, I won't ever be able to ride her, but that's OK

This is a Western Flyer Dirt Duster from the late 70s (I'm pretty sure). The only sticker it has left is on the bottom of the seat tube. It says "Murray Ohio Mfg. Co. In Lawrenceburg Tenn. 10-79" I'm not sure if the numbers are the date--October 1979--or not. I did find an Western Auto ad for this bike along with others from a newspaper in 1978. My wife says she remembers having one that had a faded paint job from orange on the forks to yellow on the chain stays. I'm fix it up and flip it if my youngest son isn't interested in riding it.

Anyway. That's my intro!

Good stuff
You're right about the date on the dirt duster.
The Westports are a good all around bike if you're building you're first rat rod, that's what I used for mine. Just have to watch that rear hub, they're not the best quality.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

Just stumbled on this thread. Had to comment. My first bike was a Texas Ranger Quarter Horse, manufactured by AMF and bought by my parents at the local Western Auto. And it was purple!
I still have it, rusty and in need of restoration, which is a project that lead me to this forum.
Good luck with your project. I have a couple of years to get mine done, then my son will be old enough to ride my old bike.

Welcome!
That was a good deal on the 2 kid's bikes, also on the westports. The AMF Renegade looks good, just maybe tires to make it a rider. The BMI sticker was 1971 or so, AMF's don't ID the year by the serial number. But both of those kid's bikes don't have bent forks, a miracle for boy's bikes, and the rims look usable too. The Dirtduster's tires tread looks good, if they aren't dry rotted or cracked they might be good to go. I redid a Renegade for a friend awhile back that needed more than yours, but still came out nice with a spray can paint job.
renegade 003.JPG

You'll need more space for more bikes, might as well partition off half the garage for a workshop while you're at it. No kiddin'.:bigboss:

Beautiful! Add a front brake, paint it purple, then put a bunch of stickers on it, and you have my first bike! Hope my restoration turns out half this nice. I think your warning to Paul should be generally issued to everyone drawn to this forum. This weekend my 5 year old and I start putting parts on the schwinn cruiser I am putting together to ride with him, yet I find myself surfing CL looking at beater bikes while trying to convince my wife she needs a cruiser with apes, banana seat and a shade tree mechanic paint job...

You'll need more space for more bikes, might as well partition off half the garage for a workshop while you're at it. No kiddin'.:bigboss:

I think your warning to Paul should be generally issued to everyone drawn to this forum. This weekend my 5 year old and I start putting parts on the schwinn cruiser I am putting together to ride with him, yet I find myself surfing CL looking at beater bikes while trying to convince my wife she needs a cruiser with apes, banana seat and a shade tree mechanic paint job...

ROFL and no kidding! I came to this forum with two badly-executed rat rods (one using my first mountain bike as a starting point and the other with a rather battered craiglist find) and now I'm up to five rat rod bikes that I'm actually proud of...and I was looking at craigslist this morning before coming to this site! "Well, y'know, just to see what bargains might be there today...."

Welcome Paul. If you ever decide to upgrade your wheelset, I'd be looking for a tandem wheelset... heavier duty spokes means more strength. It's an old trick clunker guys used to do before the advent of mountain bikes.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Latest posts

Back