M*A*S*H 4077 tribute bicycle; FINISHED!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all of you out there! This is my first post on this forum (I've been a lurker for a while) and after reading your threads and seeing your builds, this now feels like first few seconds of a head dive into cold water. But, here we go... :)

Few months ago I got my hands on this poor frankenmonster bike; it was already a ratrod edition, mashed up with parts from multiple bicycles and all covered in red paint. And when I say all, I mean it was almost dipped in paint! Everything was covered in red; frame, deraileurs, wheels, tires, handlebar, seat, brakes...like when you try to paint assembled bike with a brush. And if something wasn't painted, it was rusted out.
Did I mention that all the bearings and cables were almost blocked with rust?

DSC_0187_zps5moyj37e.jpg

First second I saw it I got an idea; military build! Although it looked cool in "some sort of Indian or firebrigade red", I'm leaving that look for some other build. During the winter I left the idea to soak in my head, but due to time shortage I didn't have the chance to actually start the project. It just sat there with my regular bike and my first build (which I'm going to present later) for a while.
10945523_10153033351567258_1656551279_n_zpsahzh8us4.jpg

When I saw a BO 10 contest, it gave me that last push, so I sorted my timesheet and found some time to work on it. Now I'm hoping it will be rather quick build, because I have some spare time on my hands and I want to ride this bike this summer.

First, I'm going to make all the mechanical changes, put everything on the bike to test it out and make it functional before I disassemble it for painting. So to start with it, i tried moving the seat back; it gave me more relaxed riding position, and it became more easier to ride (I copied Electra's Flat foot technology, and combined with Shimano Biopace it gave excellent results).
10965875_10153059942077258_406590623_n_zpsaind2k2y.jpg

I want to keep the deraileurs, but I also want to move the shifters from the handlebars, so I took an old friction shifter I had lying around and mounted it to the seattube; I hope this will be a good place for it because this will be a cruiser sort of bike, and I hope I wouldn't have to change the gears so often.
11006027_10153086537802258_208029716_n_zpsy4muj5kc.jpg

On this picture you can see how I put the seat back; I simply took the handlebar extension, put it on the seatpost and then mounted the seatclamp on the other end of it. It pass the test with a 100 kg driver, so I believe it wil hold.

P.S. Sorry for the low quality pics, I usually work late evenings, so the lighting in my workshop isn't actually set up for photoshooting. :blush:

Last edited:
Welcome to RRB and the fun of the Build Off
Where in Croatia are you from? My wife's grandparents came over to the US from Gerovo before WWI. We visited Zagreb and Dubrovnik and loved it.
Make sure you put your pin on the Build Off Ten Builders World Map

Here is the link to the Build Off Ten Builders map again:

If you are in the build off and would like to add your location marker, go to the map…

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1436445

Then go to Additions > Add Marker - Simple

Add the details you want to put and submit.

I'm from Slavonia, continental part of Croatia.
Few generations ago (about time when your wife's grandparents moved to US) my ancesters moved from Gorski Kotar (Gerovo is located there) to Slavonia, so there is a slight possibillity there's a connection.

I made a pin on the map, thanks for the info and the welcome!

My wife says to tell you "Good Luck Cousin!"

Top tube is factory bent; I'm not sure what kind of frame is it, google tells me it could be a Haro SSX (but it has a 1" headtube, not 1 3/8" as it would be with that suspension) or an old Kettler MTB from the 90's (more likely).

As far as the frames go, I'm rather jelaous because over here it's pretty hard to find american frames, and even if you do, it's pretty expensive because it's rare. So I have to improvise or use chinese cruiser bike frames.

I'm thinking of using paint stripping gel, but if that doesn't work there's always old reliable angle grinder with brass wire head.

Did I mention that this is a budget build?

As far as the frames go, I'm rather jelaous because over here it's pretty hard to find american frames, and even if you do, it's pretty expensive because it's rare. So I have to improvise or use chinese cruiser bike frames.

I hear you on that one. It's the same here in New Zealand... good old american frames are hard to get and expensive.

Welcome to the build off and the site.

So you're doing a M*A*S*H tribute... well strap my face to the side of a pig and roll me in the mud! Should be good.

Glen.

I had to try out new seat setup so I did a test drive; even with the gears not working (or brakes), it rides great - this is going to be big joyrider when I finish him.:dance2:

10966671_10153063585712258_1566158207_n_zpscxfsy1mo.jpg

When I finished my ride, I noticed that there was no stand, so I quickly put one on-you need to have a kickstand on a cool kick ... bike! :cool2:
10961830_10153061634437258_621504346_n_zpsqrgsnkzs.jpg

Every military bike must have carrier bags, so first I'm going to make some brackets. I was lurking through local hardware store when I saw these shelf L profile suspendors and had an idea. I took two of them, cut one side of L profile to correct width, mounted the other side to the frame and simply connected the cutted sides with bolts. Fender is strong enough to carry part of the weight, so I believe it will hold.
11016686_10153101028172258_411489337_n_zpsk1cy8moa.jpg

I'm playing around with the idea of Radar's teddybear, but not sure for that.

For now, I'm struggling to find the right color tone; some of army colors are beautifull, but some are extremly ugly. Plus, I want to paint it matte, but with rough, textured surface (not smoothed out).

You could get a ratty teddy bear and shove it in the spokes. :crazy:

This weekend I was playing with the pedestrian slicer plate.
I didn't want to drill new holes in the fender, so I went in MacGyver style and made a bracket that mounts on fender truss rods.
Ignore the paper sign, it's there just to see how it will look when painted.
11047013_10153121256267258_1026035474_n_zpsfybchyae.jpg

11047247_10153121647477258_1715093623_n_zpsxgry05e6.jpg

11047125_10153121762332258_972236256_n_zpsglrfpxwf.jpg

After I was satisfied, I started to dissassemble the whole thing, in order to prepare it for the paint job.
That means striping everything down, depainting it from all the red thats been soaked on and getting to bare metal. I'll try paint stripping gel, but I feell more comfortable using an angle grinderto get the paint off.

10615771_10153169171797258_1495290225_n_zpszre6nzjd.jpg

Another big problem is the color tone; I'm going for the flat matte army green, but according to the Federal Standard Paint Spec there are too many combinations. And when I finally find one that I like (taking in consideration computer screen/tablet/smartphone color distorsion), I'll have to transpose it to RAL chart, because paint shops over here use that standard when mixing colors.

Cool idea. The only mod I would suggest is to cut the sign to follow the curve of the fender.

For color, there are many military vehicle restorer places that should have some OD in spray cans...Go to the G503.com forums and search for paint.....you'll find much more than you'll ever want to know.

Or if you have Krylon Camoflage paint in the stores, their green is fairly close. I shot a WWII jeep in it and it looked pretty good in pictures.

With MASH being set in the Korean War, you also have a semigloss OD to choose from . There were also WWII vehicles still being used, so your options are many. Especially if you'd like to portray the lack of attention to correct vehicles the TV show had...lol.

Be sure to use a good rustproofing primer under the green, the flat finishes are a bit porous and tend to allow rust to return.

For color, there are many military vehicle restorer places that should have some OD in spray cans...Go to the G503.com forums and search for paint.....you'll find much more than you'll ever want to know.
O I had, anda every time I strated picking up color codes, I got a headache of all the choices.

For that matter, I'm not going for authenticity because:
a) this is not a authentic bicycle used in that period or even as a military bicycle
b) there are too many options on paint tones, so I'm going with the one that looks good to me

for that matter, I'm fond of RAL 6005. ;)

Latest posts

Back