Made in Germany J.C. Higgins (need help finding info on date and model)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I've recently acquired my Grandfather's bicycle and have decided I'd like to restore it over time. Growing up I always knew and heard of "Papaw's old Schwinn" that he rarely took out. He always kept it in a storage building and anytime he would go in to get tools of fishing poles, I would always try to sneak a peek at it. At some point it was painted (badly) but I think helped it from rusting out. Since his passing years ago, I've recently picked it up in fear of it getting stolen. I'd like to find more info about it (year/model). I have pictures they may help, and the serial number is mostly readable, except for the last couple numbers (or letters, who knows) The head badge was painted over, but you can still make out "Made in Germany, J.C. HIGGINS, Sears Roebuck and Co." It also has what appears to be two serial numbers under the crank bracket. Top number: 325467 Bottom number: 514 45960. The "960" is a guess that you can see in the picture. Any answers or help about this bike would be AMAZING.

IMG_20140223_140428530_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140223_140221039_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140223_135433772_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140223_135301946_HDR.jpg

_20140223_143931.jpg

Supposedly there was a strike or something, which caused JC Higgins to source overseas rather than their typical Murray source for 1956. Whats interesting is that I have a similar bike, but yours is apparently from a different supplier although from the same time period. The lower top tube on mine is more horizontal, while yours slants just slightly. Mine does not have the seat post lug either. The dropouts on mine are rivited in and are a different shape. Here is the photo from the 1956 Sears Christmas catalog.
1956Searsstraightbar.jpg

Here are a few photos if mine to compare. http://s2.photobucket.com/user/saabsonettguy/library/Bicycles/JC Higgins Straight Bar?sort=3&page=1

Here are some of the JC Higgins models that were imported bikes. It's a work in progress.
http://solex5000.wordpress.com/imported-jc-higgins-bicycles/

Last edited:
Welcome to RRB. Very cool story and bike!
I guess you already figured out that it's not a Schwinn, but it's not uncommon for people to call ALL old bikes Schwinns.

I don't recognize that frame but I really like it. The mid bar is lower than most bikes from back then.

Yoothgeye built a German made Higgins in Build Off 7, but it was a different style frame. Apparently there was a US factory strike, so they had some of the bikes made in West Germany.
"http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...higgins-the-german-spy-░▒▓.58840/#post-562651

Thank you for shedding some light on this. I really dig the old catalog photo...looks pretty close. From prior research, I thought it may be a "Standard Straight Bar". It's funny about the whole Schwinn thing...Before I discovered I could make out what the badge read, I just assumed it was some type of Schwinn or brother of one because the grips say "Schwinn Approved". I was really shocked that the tires weren't dry rotted because they appear to be the originals...made in germany as well. I probably shouldn't ride it as much as I have the past few days, but it's hard not too. I will be purchasing new tires and possibly wheels if I can find some so I can put the originals aside. Again, thank you for your comments and info. It's really cool getting the whole back story.

The 514 is the supplier code. 502 is Murray's code. Sears started importing Raliegh style touring bikes in the early 50s. There apparently was a Murray strike in 56, so they got their Euro supplier to build ballooners. That supplier was Daimler/Puch/Steyr, a collective of several different factories. The Puch factory in Austria built most of the touring and 10 speed bikes for Sears into the 70s. The ballooners were made in the German factory, which also made Euro middleweights through the 60s, with assorted badges like Parkliegh, President, Black Knight, Royce Union, and Bauer, along with a JC Higgins version. -Adam

Latest posts

Back