marinate on this. then share with the members. the longest bicycle ride you did!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember 1 crazzzzzzy ride. it was so awesome. I had Thursday , Friday , Saturday and Sunday off for once all the same week. so my dumb brain thinks. hey lets go for a bike ride. I down my goofy riding pant's it was early and cold out. so no cycling shorts. said load some water bottles pack a power bar. head to the beach. well still wide awake. lets pedal to Bal Boa beach from Huntington Beach. just like Forest Gump. not tiered . so pedal further. to Dana Point beach. get their bleep it . why not just keep going to San Diego. bad thought. get to a bout the mission / church in San Wan. there doing road modifications. just as the heat is climbing. so am I. Do to road construction detours. I went on roads I never been on before. it got so hot I passed out at a 711 store out of water low on cash dead tiered heat stroke setting in. Oh ya see nothing but good times a coming. NOT REALLY GOOD TIMES!!! but I pushed/pedaled on like a jack mule . lets just say detours up hills made ride longer than planed. got home passed out in bath tube full of ice cold water. well that was my short version bike story long ride. lots more happened then. but that's some of the high lights.

Last edited:
MCAS Iwakuni to Peace Park in Hiroshima. About 55miles round trip on my new Huffy Thunder-somethingorother 18spd 'MTB' with a few Marine buddies. Hot humid day...rode there, hung out for a couple hours, road back. Everyone else had road bikes...I had knobbies.

Since then, probably around 20miles tops.

When I was young and foolish (now I'm just foolish)-

MY BIG ADVENTURE- In July of 1970 I set out on my trusty 40 pound Schwinn with 30 pounds of equipment for a ride around the Delaware River and Bay. I rode over to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and hitched a ride across. Then rode from Pennsville to Vineland to Cape May. Stayed there a few days, then took the Lewes-Cape May ferry back to Delaware. Rode from Lewes to Dover staying overnight. Last leg of the trip was from Dover to New Castle, which turned out to be the most memorable part of the trip. Skirting the Delaware River on Route 9 through the coastal marshes, I was assaulted by wave after wave of voracious green head flies. Almost out of my mind, I cut West on the first road available, eventually reaching Route 13 (then the main North/South road in Delaware). I came to the Rest Stop in Smyrna, exhausted from trying to out pace the flies. I threw my sleeping bag down on the grass and collapsed. Every 10 minutes an RV would pass by with a head popping out the window saying "Look at that Martha, a guy with a bicycle" (Remember, this was 1970). Finally I gained enough strength to continue. Despite being a 4 lane divided highway, the shoulders were all sand back then. I would ride until the wheels bogged down in the sand. I alternately rode and dragged the bike up the road for the next 30 miles. Once back at home in New Castle, I parked the bike on the porch, not bothering to unload. I think I slept for the next 2 days.
Pictures below: The Schwinn, the Schwinn on the ferry.
1970.jpg

I've done 50 miles twice, both on the North Bend Rail Trail in north-central WV. First time was October 1, 2019. Temperature was very comfortable the first 25 miles, but there were several moderate hills on the way back, and I knew I was in trouble when my neck and back started hurting and the temp was climbing rapidly. If there hadn't been a small town to pass through where I could stop and cool off and refill my 40 oz water bottle, I would have been in real trouble. As it was, I really struggled the last 15 miles, and discovered the temp was in the mid-90s F when I got back to the car.

2nd time was on the same trail, just farther west, and in much more favorable weather. I was still tired and sore at the end, but not completely gassed like the first time. I've also done a couple of 40-ish rides, but usually I stay below 25 miles on a ride.

There were two big rides I did, one in 1978 and one in 2001. The longest was in 1978 when I pedaled from Clearwater Florida, to Baldwin Florida. About 275 miles in 36 hours. I had been bumming around in Clearwater, nothing was going right and I didn't have the gas money to drive my van back home to Jacksonville, so I rode my used 10 speed I had recently bought in Dunedin for 80 bucks. It was a 76 Traveler, made in Japan by Panasonic I found out later. But it was a better bike to ride long distance than a "real" Schwinn. I had hoped to somehow go back and get my van later. That never happened of course.
I set out in the morning and it wasn't too bad, but about noon time it was hot and humid. I was worn out already and stopped at a gas station to sit down for a few minutes. A beautiful girl came out of the station with a quart of cold water for me. What an angel! I hit the road going north not knowing exactly what route to take. I followed the coast northward hoping to see a state road going east or northeast before I went too far north. I followed one route through the countryside only to come back out to the same road hours later. But I kept going through the evening into the night. I used ninth gear and rode as easily as I could and still make good progress. I was now on SR 41 going north through the night. No lights, the semis would honk as they noticed me at the last second, but I wasn't on the lane of travel, I was on the shoulders. At one of the fruit stands Florida is famous for, I stopped next to a tree and took a nap. Bright lights and a state trooper woke me up and told me to "Get moving, you are loitering!". So I got back on the road after a short nap, still in the wee hours of the morning. A few miles later, I was stopped by another officer and told to "Get off the road with no lights!". So, I parked near an empty lot and took another nap. Now I was hungry and it was daybreak. But I was a smoker back then and needed cigarettes too. With only 5 bucks left I bought a pack of smokes and some snacks.
I rode most of the next day and was hoping to see some signs of progress, but it was just more miles of farmland. I kept going until early afternoon when I came upon the onramp for 75 North. I took my front wheel off as if it was flat and stuck my thumb out hoping for a pickup truck to give me a lift. A couple hours went by with no luck. A long haired bum with a broken bike wasn't going to get a ride that day So I was putting the front wheel back on and set my mind to another long ride when a station wagon appeared out of nowhere and screeched to a stop. They said "Throw your bike in the back and hop in!" It was one of those big wagons from the early 70's. The back seat was the most comfortable seat I had ever sat in at that moment. The driver hit the gas and it was breezy heading north toward home. We were really rolling, probably 75-80mph as I noticed the two guys were young looking, teenagers. I asked how far north they were going. The driver said as far and fast as possible. I joked and asked if they were running away from home. "Nope. We just stole this car and are on our way north!" Just as he said that we were surrounded by 4 state trooper vehicles. A bullhorn ordered us to pull over. We pulled over and were told to get out, hands up, and lay face down in the ditch. I looked and troopers had shotguns drawn on us! I found out later these two kids, 14 and 15 years old, had stolen the wagon from an old lady, at gunpoint! We were roughly cuffed as one trooper said "It would be easy to blow your heads off!" We were driven to the police station in Ocala. One cop said "Who stole the bike?" I said that's mine, but he was sure I was the ringleader, being 21 years old. I actually still had the receipt from the Dunedin bike shop showing it was mine. But they didn't believe I was riding across Florida with nothing but my bike. After a few hours of questioning, mainly about where the gun went, they let me go. They allowed me a drink of water and then I was told to get out and never come back. I asked for directions north but they said go before they keep me for 48 hours. So, away I went.
I found SR 301 which I knew was the right way and continued through the next night. At 2 in the morning I finally made it the Jax I-10 truckstop in Baldwin Florida, just 12 miles from home. I stopped for a rest and went in and sat down in the restaurant. I had no money, just was there for the water and air conditioning. I looked over and there were three of my friends from the old neighborhood! I lived in Baldwin 73-75. They gave me a ride the last 12 miles to my home in Marietta Florida, a part of Jacksonville. They didn't believe I had been riding a day and a half on a bike.
The bike held up well except for the one piece cranks. They must have wanted people to think it was a real Schwinn and had Panasonic make the lugged frame with a BB for one piece cranks, same as the Varsity. It should have been 3 piece like the more expensive models. They only had that setup in 75 and 76 on the traveler, then they were all 3 piece. On mine, the washer failed letting the cranks loosen up every so often. I had to keep adjusting every few hours.
So, that's my longest ride yet. My second longest was an MS150 in 2001, after 9-11 but before I deployed in October of that year. That's another long story.

dame Wildcat way cool

The fun est ride for me. one I try to go do every year.

Rosarito to Ensenada 50 Mile Bike Ride​

Rosarito Ensenada began in 1979. It is an award-winning 50 mile bicycle ride along the Pacific Coast and inland through rural countryside from Rosarito Beach to Ensenada, plus a Finish Line Fiesta on the Ensenada waterfront with food, drinks and live music until sunset
Rosarito Ensenada by the free road

The Rosarito Ensenada Bike Ride is a route classified as "Moderate Difficulty" by BRDAA, the Bike Ride Directors Association of America. So before you participate you must be physically fit, have enough experience and training for the event Avid cyclists complete the full bike ride in 1.5 hours and casual cyclists have an average of 6 hours.
Elite Start
Our elite start is not a race - but it's very fast! It separates the fastest riders from those less experienced, making the event safer for all riders. Elite riders are staged in a corral in front of the main field and begin at the same time as the main field.

Elite status is only for experienced riders and means you can and will average at least 17 mph over the course of the event, finishing in less than 3 hours.

The extra fee for Elite Status gets you a unique entry number, allowing you entry into the Elite Corral, and a better timing position for the gun start.

Course Record 1:52:54

The course record was established April 21, 2007 by Peter Andersen of San Diego with his teammates Karl Bordine, Chris Dimarchi, Matt Johnson and Nate Diebler.
The route of 82.5 kilometers is completely paved, during the first 35.4 kilometers you will be on side of the ocean through charming towns along the coast, this first part of the road is primarily flat with some hills. After you venture inside to the east by 3.2 kms you will find a slope of 3.2 km in length and 7.5 degree incline, use a lower gear so you can try to get to the top by bike, but keep in mind that you can also walk like many many other participants have to to get up it, this is the perfect place to get off your bike and walk, giving your legs a good rest and mentally prepare yourself for the second part of the bike ride. When finishing going up the hill you will find the Registration Checkpoint, signs indicate that cyclists should make 2 lines. left side fast lane for more experienced riders, right lane weekend slower type riders, make sure you have your number visible so it can be seen by the event staff as you approach the next leg... One kilometer ahead you will find “La Mission” and the second water station, in this part of the route you are in a rural area at 243.8 meters above sea level, keep going while enjoying the scenery for 12 km to reach “El Tigre,” (really steep hill) here you will find the third water station. Now get ready for the third part of the route which starts with a fall of 13 km going down the hill that takes you back to the ocean. Have fun but please keep full control. On the south side of “El Tigre” you will find closed and dangerous curves, please do not try to brake the sound barrier keep a safe speed.! At the end of this section you will find the last water station located 1.6 km before the junction with the highway where vehicles are restricted to the left lane and cyclists to the right for the rest of the route. watch for Sweep Trucks for bike riders who may be hurt.
These units are for bike riders with injuries, exhausted, behind or broken bicycles. If you have any of these conditions and you will be unable to complete the ride, we'll give you a ride to the next point of support or to the “Fiesta” at the Finish Line.
These trucks travel the route at different times considering closing times at each water station.

The last sweep truck leaves from water station # 2 at halfway at 4:00 pm and takes you to the “Fiesta” at the finish line where you can share all your experiences and be challenged to make the
next ride!!

FYI the last time I did this ride. my brother was there. he brought his son along. was fun till he tried to show off for his kid. IE go around 40 MPH down hill. hit a pot hole tacoed the front wheel on his bike. broke/ cracked 3 of his ribs, road rash on legs and face, busted nose ya it was not pretty. he road the sweep truck to finish line.

paseo6.jpg

some high lights from the ride event.

My longest ride was at the age of 15 back in 72. I found out the grocery store I was working at, had me working to many hours and the management gave me a weeks paid vacation. I got up early Saturday morn before the sun rise, packed a bag with some cloths and strapped it on my new 10 speed Flanders, filled my water bottles and headed west on a 150 mile ride to go visit my grandmother and other relatives.
Day started nice and calm, but 30 miles into the ride a hail storm blew in and I got pelted and soaked. After it passed I took off again only to ride head on into 15-20 mph winds. About 70 miles in the, heat started to make me sick and I had to find a small cafe to eat, cool off and rehydrate.
Kept going, but at about the 100 mile mark, my rear derailer broke and left me stranded on the road . I started thumbing and a van pulled up with a couple of guys who had been at the grocery store where I worked a few weeks prior to paint our parking lot. We put my bike in back and they hauled me to my destination.
Next day I walked my bike down to the bike shop and had them install a new derailer and spent all my extra cash . I had enough fun, so I loaded my bike in the trunk of my cousins car,(she was actually going to my town for a job interview), went and stayed with a bunch of cousins.
At the end of the week, one of my cousins flew me back home in his plane.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain my longest ride was 115 miles, fully loaded on a 1980 Peugeot, touring through upstate NY, on a week-long tour to Canada. We never made it to Canada. It rained every day and slowed our progress.

My most difficult ride was the state championships around the Quabbin Reservoir in MA in 1992 on a 1990 Bridgestone RB-1 (I still have it). 93 miles, 24+ mph avg. A hot humid day. I placed 5th after breaking away from the peloton with 11 miles to go to bridge a 12 man breakaway group up the road.

Santa Barbara to Anaheim in a day and the first hundy was a race, done in about 4:15 IIRC. Post-Race I milled around Culver City a bit and had a burger and a beer, then pedaled the last bit home at less than race pace. Accomplished with minimal gear (Tube, Tire Lever, CO2 Inflator, Surly Jethro Tule) on a 1984 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe fixed gear conversion running 93 gear inches. I never mapped it out, but it was probably around 160 miles for the day.

New River State Trail in Galax VA. 57 miles each direction for an up and back. I've done this one twice

https://www.traillink.com/trail/new-river-trail-state-park/

Elroy Sparta Trail in WI. Great historic 33+ miler in each direction. Good fun

https://www.traillink.com/trail/elroy-sparta-state-trail/#trail-detail-about

Silver Comet Trail in GA. This one is an absolute ripper and easy to average 18-21 mph on as you hit the state line and back

https://www.traillink.com/trail/silver-comet-trail/

Also all 190 miles of the US 2 route across the UP of Michigan. Not a fan of road riding anymore, but would probably attempt this again

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9615_11223_65460---,00.html

31 miles. As a teenager on my 20 inch haro set up to ride street.Saturday mornings I would leave my house and ride to my girlfriends house that was 21 miles away. After a rest break we would ride into the town our school was in. Her sister lived here and we would spend the night there and o would do it in reverse on sundays. It’s amazing what you will do as a horny teenager

ride could have been cut down to 8 miles each way if she would just meet me in town! I did the ride until I could drive

4 miles

But I was 8 years old, and it was 1969. One saturday morning I decided to ride to my friend's house in the next village. I knew where his house was as he had pointed it out from the school playing field, but I had only ever been by car or minibus to his village. Of course I failed to inform anyone where I was going. So on my solid tired bicycle with its single rod front brake I rode down the village to the line of the former valley railway, which had only closed a decade or so before and had the tracks removed. I knew that the line ran along behind the school and I figured I only had to follow the former track bed to get there.

Luckily it was clear all the way, and once behind the school I managed to scramble down the embankment to the road and then pedal off to my friend's house. He was very surprised to see me, but we played for a few hours and then I rode home. No one had missed me.

Lol I had a trip like that to a friend's house so we could go to the park with the big slide near his place. My ride happened to be on the shoulder of the highway between the 'hood and place in the good area. My mom FLIPPED OUT when she heard the news about my arrival from Trevor's mom. I got some cookies and a ride home.

Latest posts

Back