(MBBO#05 Class 2) "¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ" Trike finished thread. (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
'Flip The Script'

2016-11-29 19.03.51watermarked.jpg

2016-11-29 19.04.44watermarked.jpg

Complete build thread can be found here:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mbbo-05-class-2-★★★-¡ʇdᴉɹɔs-ǝɥʇ-dᴉlℲ-★★★-semi-finished-pics.100049/

Here is a quick run-down:

The build started out as more of a technical challenge, I wanted to build a trike differential using dual drive, two freewheels and two discbrakes, if I could pull it off, it would work in much the same manner as a 'Detroit Locker' differential in a car with the drive always going to the slowest wheel.

So it would not pull to one side like a single wheel trike but still turn easy unlike a locked rear axle.

2016-09-07 16.01.05.jpg

The diff housing itself started out as a well used and rusty propane tank, the axles are extended square taper bottom bracket axles...

After the diff was made and I verified that the idea worked, there was not really any other plans regarding frame shape or style, I went back through my sketch books and started looking at hotrods on Google and this fabricated sheet metal frame idea was born, it took a huge amount of work and effort, but it looks great, even if it does tend to drag focus away from the drivetrain which was the original idea of the build.

2016-10-29 16.16.56.jpg

Paint is a 'Pearl Metal Flake' from "Paint With Pearl" with lots of clears and sanding:

Passion purple.JPG

It really pops in any light, but is hard to photograph to full effect.

The white diamond quilted vinyl was a find on eBay and imported from the UK, very nice stuff!

2016-09-26 23.51.25.jpg

Lights were converted to LED, the taillights were beehive clearance lights designed for trucks, the headlight is a '70's Union bicycle light:

2016-11-27 00.41.23.jpg

Power comes from a 4xAA battery pack with a switch under the top bar of the frame.

Really enjoyed this build-off, I pushed myself a bit too hard, but the atmosphere on the site was awesome and always encouraging!
Thanks everyone!

Luke.

Last edited:
I love the clean look of your lines and the purple / white color combo is striking. The trike looks so 'together' and balanced that the monstrous rear wheels/tires don't even look out of place! Well done LTJ! A mechanical marvel in a stylish package....:41:

The differential design is awesome, one of your craziest builds yet. Very well done.
Thanks @Falstaff! It was a fun build, but I think they will be much simpler from now on!
This is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen Luke!!!
Thanks Mr Bean! Was just thinking about that day we went riding up near your place on our RRBBO#08 bikes, that old lady, remember? :21:
Beautiful job Luke!
Thanks @Old Scool!
The beauty and the Beast All in one !
Amazing work:41::113:
Thanks 1HP!
I love the clean look of your lines and the purple / white color combo is striking. The trike looks so 'together' and balanced that the monstrous rear wheels/tires don't even look out of place! Well done LTJ! A mechanical marvel in a stylish package....:41:
Thanks OJ! The proportions are surprising to me, when I designed it I was thinking it would look too narrow at the back wheels, but with the padded panels on there it gives it some depth and really changed the way it looks!
Engineering genius on that purple egg differential.

Awesome work on the paint and upholstery. That purple sparkle is to die for! White adds a nice clean touch.

A #1 build, in my book.

Congrats on finishing this one!

Cheers!
Thanks @metalchewy! I am loving riding on that diff, it works so seamlessly, I hope some others will build one and try it!
Glad you like the paint too, I really am a sucker for that high gloss, miles deep look!

Luke.

What an insanely original build!!!!!!
Awesome engineering, execution, and design brother!!
BRAVO!!!

Another incredible build Luke! This one really has a finished factory look to it. Amazing engineering, design and skill with the weld/paint/vinyl.:praise::praise::praise:

Hope you had as much fun building it as I did watching.:thumbsup:

What a beauty...a work of art and a testimonial to your out of this world building skillz...a lot of us have been following this one..and what a sturdy piece of engineering it is...Bravo Luke....bravo....
I think you can tow the Datsun with this baby...:bigsmile:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
franco

Consistently outrageous. The engineering and craftsmanship takes second to no one. But you still seem to put other folks first. You and your builds, you both rock, Luke.

furyus

You've done it again Luke.:cool2:
It's alway entertaining to see what you've dreamed up and then watch it come to life! It is a shame though that the most impressive part of this creation is hidden from view. The whole differential idea and your execution of it is brilliant!

As with all of your over the top builds, this one is sure to turn heads! Congrats.

What an insanely original build!!!!!!
Awesome engineering, execution, and design brother!!
BRAVO!!!
Thanks King!
First time in months I've checked out RRB, and this is the first thing I see.......made my day. I certainly do remember the ride and the old lady!
Awesome! :thumbsup:
Another incredible build Luke! This one really has a finished factory look to it. Amazing engineering, design and skill with the weld/paint/vinyl.:praise::praise::praise:

Hope you had as much fun building it as I did watching.:thumbsup:
I'm glad I hit the 'Factory' look again! It is hard to pull it off! Thanks for the comments and support along the way!
What a beauty...a work of art and a testimonial to your out of this world building skillz...a lot of us have been following this one..and what a sturdy piece of engineering it is...Bravo Luke....bravo....
I think you can tow the Datsun with this baby...:bigsmile:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
franco
:21: Now that would be a sight!
Consistently outrageous. The engineering and craftsmanship takes second to no one. But you still seem to put other folks first. You and your builds, you both rock, Luke.

furyus
Thanks Fury! :thumbsup: Appreciate it!
You've done it again Luke.:cool2:
It's alway entertaining to see what you've dreamed up and then watch it come to life! It is a shame though that the most impressive part of this creation is hidden from view. The whole differential idea and your execution of it is brilliant!

As with all of your over the top builds, this one is sure to turn heads! Congrats.
Thanks TRM! At least now we now the diff idea works, hopefully it will turn up in other builds!

Finished the minor modification at the cranks today, made longer adjustment bars and lengthened the chains:

2016-11-30 16.40.46.jpg
2016-11-30 16.40.30.jpg

Now the BB is vertical and the bars sit close to level, which will be the best for long term rigidity:

2016-11-30 16.42.21.jpg

A decent test ride and then I will paint them black, not today though, I'm worn out!

Luke.

Awesome bike Luke!! Love the color too. Congrats and good luck.
Thanks Bike Bum!

Got a final ride video and walk around today, glad to say the new adjuster bars are a success and fixed the slipping issue I ended up with after changing the BB mount and not test riding it afterwards.
It was hot today, and the flies were bad, so not the best video, but better than nothing.

Video posted up top. ^

Luke.

Latest posts

Back