(MBBO#05 Class II) My Generation (DONE, w/ wheelie pics)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple cleanup and repaint of the kickstand. I also remembered that I still had to service the front hub and change out the old inner tubes on both wheels. Then I laid out everything to start reassembly and realized I forgot to order pedals. :headbang:
DSCN2236.jpg

DSCN2238.jpg

Another oversight is thinking I had enough outer cable on hand for 3 brakes and 2 shifters. I don't deal with bikes with front derailleurs so it looks to me like the cable gets routed under and around the Bottom Bracket to the front derailleur.
DSCN2241_1.jpg

DSCN2243.jpg

DSCN2244.jpg

*NOTE* Even after notching the brake caliper I still had to cut out a segment
on the bottom brake pads. I had no movement otherwise. Having the correct
calipers would have negated all of the mods.
DSCN2242_1.jpg

Yes, that type of derailleur routes the cable under the BB.

Luke.
Thanks for the conformation, Luke. I had to study it for a few minutes to come to that conclusion. I never messed with the 10 speed bikes back in the day. Always learning something on this forum. :nod:

Thanks for the conformation, Luke. I had to study it for a few minutes to come to that conclusion. I never messed with the 10 speed bikes back in the day. Always learning something on this forum. :nod:
Will you be able to route the cable ok?
Some derailleurs do have top cable entry, but they can be hard to find sometimes...

Luke.

I've been away since last Thursday and it was cool to see my pedals and outer cable had arrived upon my return. I got them routed and mounted. They all still need to be adjusted and inner cables cut to length.
DSCN2245.jpg

DSCN2248.jpg

DSCN2246.jpg

DSCN2247.jpg

It's finished. There is a couple more things I'll end up changing and adding later but with the dead line looming, I have done all I can. It was overcast most of the day and was not able to get the bright sunny pictures I want. Tomorrow I will take final pictures for the finished thread.
I figured out the front derailleur with help from one of my LBS. The inner cable is not what is pulled but the outer housing is. New to me but that's how the bottom pull derailleur works.
I also changed out the long neck and narrow handlebars for a pair of OG '68 Sears Spyder handlebars from the Ramcharger bike build. The chrome was not perfect therefore the need of the handlebar wrap.
Test ride went well. It rides smooth, breaks and shifts great! I have not rode it and changed the Overdrive Selector yet so I can't tell what that is like yet.
DSCN2254.jpg

DSCN2257.jpg

DSCN2252.jpg

DSCN2255.jpg

DSCN2260.jpg

Latest posts

Back