MBBO#07 is happening! OCT 1st 2018 to Feb 1st 2019.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good, I have been slacking on looking at the builds, (some health issues) just replied to Alan's question in his thread:

"Unless you are going for replicating a particular original muscle bike with the correct parts, paint and decals, probably best in Class 2."

In regards to your extended question, I don't feel that switching to box bars and a BMX seat is "accessories" as it is more changing the purpose of the bike from muscle to BMX style.
So no I don't think that would qualify.

The Schwinn Fleet could go into Class 1 if it was being built as a Stingray with the correct parts, paint and decals, if it is being built more as a converted "Pig" style bike, probably best in Class 2.

I have this homemade frame since 2015 built by the sister of my girlfriend under my supervision.
This frame is sleeping since then. Maybe it would be fun to continue her build and then offer the finished bike to her as a surprise present.
bonanza.jpg

But maybe it doesn't fit into the rules of the contest....:39:

I have this homemade frame since 2015 built by the sister of my girlfriend under my supervision.
This frame is sleeping since then. Maybe it would be fun to continue her build and then offer the finished bike to her as a surprise present.

That's a great idea and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit the rules o_O

It'd be a 'Class 2' entry and as long as you adhere to the Class 2 requirements...

Class 2: The 2 out 3 rule: Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 criteria to be considered a Muscle Bike:

1: Rear tire larger than the front. (wider or taller or both.)
2: Banana seat.
3: Muscle bike appropriate bars. (Ape hangers, steering wheels...)

You can of course have all three.

If you're concerned about the frame modification being done in 2015, I don't think that's a problem, but I'm sure @LukeTheJoker will be able to confirm that.

I say go for it :nod:

Glen.

Last edited:
bonanza.jpg

It is clear the frame was not made in advance for this build-off trying to gain an unfair advantage.
Same as using a factory complete frame as a starting point the way I see it, so go for it. :thumbsup:

Obviously using a pre-modified frame/build is a bit of a gray area, as long as it all seems legit that no one was trying to gain advantage, and it is an older or part finished build everyone seems OK with it.

I have never entered a build off before, though I have posted at RRB on and off for years. Now today I just arranged a Craigslist bike purchase that I will pick up when I go visit family for Thanksgiving, and I was cruising the forums here for ideas, and I saw the build-off section... it just so happens that I was thinking of taking this bike in a muscle bike direction. If all goes well, I will post pics of my starting point when I get it home after Thanksgiving and we will see where I can get it to go from there...

I've been tossing around the idea of a "muscle" type bike. If I'm reading the class 2 section correctly I can base mine off a 24/26 inch frame set? Just curious as I'm shopping for a new project and this looks fun

I've been tossing around the idea of a "muscle" type bike. If I'm reading the class 2 section correctly I can base mine off a 24/26 inch frame set? Just curious as I'm shopping for a new project and this looks fun
There have been many 'big boy' muscle bikes built during MBBO competitions. Yes, a 24/26 combo is acceptable, and fun!

Here's mine from MBBO #5.

IMG_20161123_133415.jpg

Just a heads up to everyone, been discussing ideas with the boss, and there are going to be some changes for the next mini build-off!

NEW THEME!

20" or less!

So we can still do muscle bikes, but add in scramblers, BMX, kids tankbikes, minivelo, scooters etc...

Fairly open rule set:
20" or less.