MBBO#3 and 2015 Winter BO.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you likely to join either (or both) Build-Off's?

• Total voters
Same rules for the MBBO:

At least 2 of the following 3 must be included:
1: Banana Seat.
2: Ape hangers.
3: Front tire smaller or narrower than the rear.

Bike must be built during the build-off with pictures showing progress.

You could always do that build for the winter build-off, rather than changing your current plans...

Winter build-off rule 1 and only:

Luke.

I've been surfing around, looking for info on the Ross Barracuda. That was my first bike in about 67'. I had a purple single speed. If I can score a Barracuda, I would toss the flipped frame on the back burner...

Carl.

and then again there is the bonepile...

Last edited:
Bumping on up for more interest in the Muscle Bike/Chopper Build Off!
Starts September 1 and goes for 4 months!

Rules are:

At least 2 of the following 3 must be included:

1: Banana Seat.
2: Ape hangers.
3: Front tire smaller or narrower than the rear.

There will be two classes:

1: Stock/restore/mild custom.
2: Super Modified. (Cut, grind, weld.)

Looking forward to the fun!

Luke.

If I get my 59 finished up before the muscle bike build off starts I may have something to build for it.
Have been trying to find a use for my "dragster" wheel set and may have located a frame for them.

What would you consider a 26" wheel adult style muscle bike? I'd have bigger (tall and 2x width as front) rear tire, ape hangers and maybe a banana seat as well as a shiny paint job if I do this.

If I get my 59 finished up before the muscle bike build off starts I may have something to build for it.
Have been trying to find a use for my "dragster" wheel set and may have located a frame for them.

What would you consider a 26" wheel adult style muscle bike? I'd have bigger (tall and 2x width as front) rear tire, ape hangers and maybe a banana seat as well as a shiny paint job if I do this.
Sounds like a good muscle bike to me! If you are staying with a fairly standard frame it would put you into class one, if you are taking a grinder to it or starting from scratch that would put you into class 2.

Luke.

The frame I'm looking at getting is newer and may need some unsightly chain guard mounts & such cut off but would probably be about the extent of big mods as far as the frame.

The frame I'm looking at getting is newer and may need some unsightly chain guard mounts & such cut off but would probably be about the extent of big mods as far as the frame.
Class one then, not changing the structure of the frame, just cleaning it up.

Luke.

Something followed me home from the dump shop over the weekend...
Need to re-think my build to make this fit somehow...

14906083733_78302b4144_z.jpg

Luke.

Think your going to need bigger than a 8" wide rim for that.
Yep, I took some measurements, it is 14" wide and I will need at least a 12" rim, I can get away with a straight drive on an 8", but this thing will need a jackshaft set up, the cranks would be way too wide! Some serious re-designing going on over here... :crazy2:

Luke.

Its a good thing that's not going on a car lol. When it comes to tires like that you run a rim the same width as the tread.

Its a good thing that's not going on a car lol. When it comes to tires like that you run a rim the same width as the tread.
Actually the Hoosier site recommends an 8" rim for it, but it just looks silly squeezed in that far, 12" is where it naturally wants to sit, so I figured that should be safe.

Luke.

That's strange; normally on racing tires like that you want the rim the same width as the tread width.

What is the tread width of that tire?

As a reference I'm running 275mm (~10.82") tread rear tires on my truck & the narrowest rim that can be safely used is 8".

That's strange; normally on racing tires like that you want the rim the same width as the tread width.
12" is the tread width, there is 1" of sidewall bulge each side though, sorry for the mis-information, I was working on total size to work out chain clearance...

Luke.

Then a 12" rim is recommended; being not on a car you could use a 10" rim.

Running the narrower rim will curve the tread section a bit more leaving you potentially slightly easier rolling.

Then a 12" rim is recommended; being not on a car you could use a 10" rim.
Going to have to widen the rim anyway, may as well take it out to 12", can't wait to see what a 13x12 looks like! :21: Deep dish!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back