(MBBO #4 Class 1) "Shelby Flyer Woody"..Holiday Greetings from OddJob..pg 10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ride to the Carver Lake beach, just a 3 mile jaunt over hill and dale. Never thought I would get some beach shots in November...?!? 59 and sunny...

I just joined on this forum and after some trial and error found this thread. First off, awesome build!! I am seriously in awe with the creativity both in this thread and on this forum! Second off, the test ride video put a smile so big on my face, I can't wipe it off! Time for me to start digging around for my next build

I just joined on this forum and after some trial and error found this thread. First off, awesome build!! I am seriously in awe with the creativity both in this thread and on this forum! Second off, the test ride video put a smile so big on my face, I can't wipe it off! Time for me to start digging around for my next build
Thanks so much @Jacque ! Yes, the creativity and ingenuity on this forum (and others I have witnessed) is incredible. And, like one of our brothers said earlier about the ride video "looks like your'e having fun too, and to me, that's what this is all about!" I look forward to following your next build, Jacque....

Okay fellow old schoolers, remember that 60's movie "The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming!" ....? Well...the Russians are here! And they are putting up the BACK40 Bike n' Brew shed today! Yahhhooooooo!

6" steel foundation.....

More to come as the day goes on...!:banana::banana::banana:

Is that galvanized steel?
Wouldn't want your shop floor rusting out from under you. :headbang:

Is that galvanized steel?
Wouldn't want your shop floor rusting out from under you. :headbang:
Yep! 40 yr life expectancy....which will be more than I will need. I also put down a base of class 5 gravel to help level and drain the area. Here's a vid that talks about the material...

The flooring goes in...here's what they say about it "We’ve added LP SmartFloor Plus, a sturdy 3/4″ thick tongue and groove material that’s treated to resist insect and moisture damage, and comes with a high-tech resin overlay that looks great, adds traction and eliminates splinters."

And the walls go up.....two guys carry these pre-made panels out (150' from the driveway) to the site and bolt them together....

About 1 hour into the construction right now...

The BACK40 as you approach from the house. With doors open on a nice day, look all the way through to the pond. Workbench / bar will reside in between the two doors, with a view of the fire pit patio beyond...

The backside of the BACK40....a deck will occupy this space. Bike stand will reside out here on nice days, as well as a place to kick back and enjoy a cold one....

I forget OJ, what are the dimensions of that building?
Interesting you should ask, my beer guzzling thespian. I originally wanted to build a 12 x 20 building. But after I submitted the plan for the permit, and the inspector had already been out to give his stamp of approval, I got a call from another city muckity muck telling me I was within the 75' easement of the Preserved Waterway and would have to move the building. Since it would have had to be smack dab in the middle of my back yard to get beyond the 75', I said I needed another option. Turns out a building 200 sq ft or smaller does not require a permit, and can be built within the easement. Hence, it is 10 x 20.

Well, we got about 3 hours of dry weather for the shed construction yesterday. The last 5 were in a windy, cold, rain. This is a shot around 2 pm with the roof panels going up (birdseye view from the kitchen). Guys coming back this morning to finish up the trim, hang the doors, and check it all over. Up just in time for highs in the low 30's in the week ahead....

My wife suggested we take down the fence so we can open up the view / look of the shed more. Used to hide equipment back there but it's mostly gone now. Probably convert the redwood fence into some interior walls, or landscaping of some kind.

The shed is up! Now it will be up to me to finish off the inside. Planning to use some old aged lumber, tin, artifacts, bike-y stuff, pictures, etc to transform it into the BACK40 ! For this winter, it will mainly be storage for the bikes and parts that have been accumulating in my garage since I got the rat rod bike bug last spring. I've got some ideas for shelving work bench, bike display, etc. It will take time. But as you all know, I don't waste any time once I get the "wheels in motion"!
Here's some shots of the completed unit as she stands. Thanks for letting me share, and remember, the BACK40 is always welcoming to guests!

Welcome to the BACK40 !

Tenants already moving in....

Last edited:
Save this picture.
IMG_1707.jpg

You'll never have this much room again. Ever.

I don't have that much floor space in my 24'x36' shop. :arghh:

Latest posts

Back