(MBBO 4 Class 1) -- The Raven -- Now With Flames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never fear, everything I got him is bolt on. The bike will be complete by then. We'll just need to add the items and take some decent photos...My daughter purchased a new camera. She's been wanting one for years and now that she got her first job she saved her money and bot it...so she'll be doing the photos...

never fear, everything I got him is bolt on. The bike will be complete by then. We'll just need to add the items and take some decent photos...My daughter purchased a new camera. She's been wanting one for years and now that she got her first job she saved her money and bot it...so she'll be doing the photos...
Good for your daughter, being all responsible like that. Atleast she learned you have to save for things you want.

:thumbsup:

Luke.

Liking this one, fits right in with my ' MODern Muscle' theme... maybe I need to get in on the build this year, hmmm .

wet sanding, primer, sanding, primer....about ready for paint...I work weekends at an auto parts store and get a modest discount on merchandise o I'll grab the paint this Saturday and probably paint it on Monday or Tuesday...Hit it with a few coats and then wet sand. I've got a nice air brush set up that I will probably use to ghost the flames on....I need to track down some of the very thin masking tape....might have to order it...maybe Hobby Lobby stocks it...

wet sanding, primer, sanding, primer....about ready for paint...I work weekends at an auto parts store and get a modest discount on merchandise o I'll grab the paint this Saturday and probably paint it on Monday or Tuesday...Hit it with a few coats and then wet sand. I've got a nice air brush set up that I will probably use to ghost the flames on....I need to track down some of the very thin masking tape....might have to order it...maybe Hobby Lobby stocks it...
Yes,Hobby Lobby stocks it. That's where I get my eighth inch masking tape.

Looking forward to seeing the paint!

Luke.

This is also my first build and I have been really impressed with the level and ideas of builds, it's given me so many ideas for the next MBBO and has me wanting to do so many different things with paint. I think the ghost flames would be great to see.

I've never tried to refinish a bike to this level before and have discovered...black sucks. I've got a coat on and we are wet sanding and flaws are showing themselves more and more...not obvious to anyone else apparently because when I showed my older kids they were oblivious....but the are glaring to me. I sanded most of it out...I grabbed some parts for another build I am doing today so the build off bike is on the back burner for the evening...

here is a little peak at that project...a clone of my first bike but with parts I wish I could have had...

11990450_1143448792336484_8629693938600610921_n.jpg

I'm my experience black is the hardest color to paint. Every little wrinkle or ding shows up, it is very difficult to make "black glass"

Yeah, when I painted my car hot rod black it actually looked worse than it did when it was in red oxide primer. This will look okay, I'm going to try to cover the flaws with the flames...I might hand paint a mural over the worst spot..

12065539_1154273034587393_4126833671998441009_n.jpg

12027587_1154273134587383_5245275275467985151_n.jpg

the paint looks great. I did a lot of sanding and was able to blend out most of the blemishes. I laid a few light coats then a nice heavy coat for shine.

I experimented with some colors for the flame and I'm pretty sure I came up with a winning combo. I dinked around with some different colors but didnt find anything I like....today I painted a few light passes of silver aluminum over a glass black base then dusted on some "Metalcast" blue and it looks exactly like I envisioned. I want to wait for the black to cure before I clear coat it...then I will mask off for the flames....

working 11 hour days at job A and weekends from 9 to 5 at job B leaves very little time to do much. I did order some 1/8 masking tape. It should be here in a few days and maybe in the evenings next week I'll be able to come up with a flame pattern I like. The boy races BMX 2 nights a week and I am trying to find time to get my motorcycle up and running, get my hot rod running, finish my sons pickup truck AND finding time to finish the paint and finish it well is proving to be difficult....I am off both jobs on Monday so I should be able to get a little know done....anyone know how to make a clone?

I'd find a automotive paint store or a hobby store (NOT HOBBY LOBBY) you need to get 3M Fine Line Tape. Works awesome!

Every time someone mentions clone I instantly think of Michael Keaton and the movie Multiplicity.

Good party Steve.

The black looks great on the frame! Can't wait till you get bustin' out the ghost flames!

Latest posts

Back