(MBBO 4 CLASS #1) WHEEL'N in the years

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to get involved in last years MBBO build off but just didn't have enough knowledge built up yet, so after a year of a lot of questions, bike swap meets, and trial n error I'm ready to jump in with both feet. I love Huffy's since that's what I had as a kid and started building a replica of my Firestone Rail I had when I ran across this 10 footer (what we call cars/bikes that look good from 10 feet away until you get up close) that had original blue paint but was chipped and nicked to death when I got it, not to mention that great looking car steering wheel on it!
So I have been gathering parts all spring and summer to resurrect this Huffy to look like the bike that was next to mine when I picked out my bike at our local Firestone store, I chose this bike first but the salesman told my Dad they were too dangerous so I got my second pick instead. Even though I loved my Rail I always wanted the other.
Thanks to all you guys that have been patient with me and my questions for the past year.
So this is my starting point picture.

Awesome!
Will you be keeping a wheel set up on it or switching to bars?
I mentioned on someone else's thread, the Huffy Rail frames are tied in first place with the Eliminator 1's for my favorite muscle bikes!

Luke.

Awesome!
Will you be keeping a wheel set up on it or switching to bars?
I mentioned on someone else's thread, the Huffy Rail frames are tied in first place with the Eliminator 1's for my favorite muscle bikes!

Luke.

Gonna be "The Wheel" my forbidden bike. Haha

Wheel bikes are super cool!

Love the wheel, awesome look

Welcome Jess! If you need new frame caps for that Wheel I know a guy who makes them and they look GREAT! :D

And your title song-bombed me. So...

You read my mind!

Those are way safe, what was that salesman talking about?!? :grin:

Can't wait to see this one underway!

Finished the teardown today in order to glass bead the hardware and rusted areas and prep the frame and other parts for grit blast so they will be ready for paint.

Last edited:
Finally got some time and was able to work on my project, grit blasted the frame and forks so I can prep it for paint then started cleaning, some polishing, and glass beading parts. I feel like it's finally coming together, still gotta find a rear 20x2.125 RWL Cheater Slick or a dual red line slick.

Old School, you do nice work! Do you have your own machine for "grit blasting"? How does that differ from sand blasting, other than the material I assume? And, being new to this, I am not familiar with the "glass beading" process. Can you provide some description of how you do that? Really like the results you are getting!:nod:

Old School, you do nice work! Do you have your own machine for "grit blasting"? How does that differ from sand blasting, other than the material I assume? And, being new to this, I am not familiar with the "glass beading" process. Can you provide some description of how you do that? Really like the results you are getting!:nod:

Sorry for any confusion, I work in an aircraft engine machine shop so I'm use to those identifications. They are all media blast, when I say grit blast it's different sizes of sand (80,220,500 grain size) where you can adjust the pressure, that's what I use to remove paint while also prepping the surface for paint, a bike frame and forks will take about 20 minutes. Glass bead is the same thing but purified glass beads the size of sand grains, that is what I use to remove rust and scale and gives a satin finish to the metal like the kick stand, bolts, nuts, and other pieces. We also use plastic or crushed walnut shell media for different effects but none of these can be used directly on chrome because it will dull or remove it, chrome I found so far requires just good old fashioned elbow grease or polisher. I do however use the glass bead on the back side of chrome parts like chain guards and fenders for the satin finish.

Latest posts

Back