(MBBO#5 Class 1) Huffy Altered Ego

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as a kid I had what I felt was the badest Muscle bike around, the Firestone (Huffy) Rail 5-speed and today I still feel that way, that’s no disrespect to the other Muscle bikes or owners out there I just loved my bike that much as a kid. Being from southern Ohio only about 40 minutes or so from the Huffy plant made this pretty much Huffy territory. Now that I’m older and like to restore bikes I’ve had three bikes on my bucket list I wanted to build and restore. First one was a Huffy Wheel which I built for last years MBBO4 (Wheel’n in the years) and I’ve been working on my second bucket list bike off and on now for about a year because I want to do it up right, a duplicate of my first Muscle Bike that Firestone (Huffy) Rail 5-speed down to the same decals I put on it as a kid. Now this years MBBO5 build is the third of my three bucket list bikes. It’s taken me since the end of last years MBBO4 to find the right bike to work with and it won’t even be delivered till about Friday a week after the MBBO5 already started but I have been gathering parts since this past winter anticipating this build and that’s all I have pictured below, some parts to be used. When the bike I bought gets here I’ll post before pics of it but for now all I can do is just sit and watch.

There you are! I was wondering if you were going to make it in. (Meanwhile, I still haven't repainted my SSV to finish our build off! lol)

Did you get your rear wheel that we discussed? You never answered my PM.
Sorry about that, been covered up, did 60 hours last week. Didn't get one yet but i do have a line on one, in negotiations :cool2:

Will be watching,
We are definately,
in Huffy Territory.
We use to
beatup the boys that had,,
Swinnz.:comando:
Haha, yeah one of my buddies had a Krate Pea Picker when we were kids but he couldn't jump ramps with it only watched because the first time he tried when he first got it new it collapsed the front end and bent the rim, he had to drag it home.

Haha, yeah one of my buddies had a Krate Pea Picker when we were kids but he couldn't jump ramps with it only watched because the first time he tried when he first got it new it collapsed the front end and bent the rim, he had to drag it home.

oh yeah, the ramp jumping days...
I tore the metal slide, off our , swing set,, got up to 10 cinder blocks high. the Cheater slick ,,,
ruled in , Kings Mill.:D:forum:

So my bike I bought for the MBBO5 was delivered on Friday while I was at work so FedEx left it on my porch. The guy I bought it from did a great job packing it but FedEx did a lousy job delivering it. Even though it was packed great and labeled with Fragile stickers FedEx ripped the side of the box open on one side and tossed it around enough to punch holes through the other. The 3-speed gearing was broke off the hub and the front wheel hub shaft was bent with the threads smeared off one side. But hey they did put clear plastic tape over the holes :113:. As you know the "insured shipping" that's promoted by shipping companies is always a joke so I'll give credit to the guy I bought it from being a stand up guy, he said he would replace the broken and bent parts. So this small set back will just give me time to work on other stuff for the bike until I get the replacement parts.

So is this going to be a Slingshot? Looks like that could be a 16" Linear Tread in your parts pile? I think I may have seen the bike you got on ebay. 3-spd Rail deal?

Whip it out. Lets see it!

So is this going to be a Slingshot? Looks like that could be a 16" Linear Tread in your parts pile? I think I may have seen the bike you got on ebay. 3-spd Rail deal?

Whip it out. Lets see it!
It's coming but not a slingshot, still trying to work out some issues with my over all plan. Still have to get before pics, then break it down and prep for paint. Let's just say I'm hoping it will live up to it's name "Altered Ego" mild mannered through the week 1/4 mile runner on weekends.

This thread is a real bike tease so far!!!

Not trying to be, no progress at all so far, hopefully have pics by Saturday. Paint job is the only thing I don't plan on giving up just yet, you know I like rares. Working like a madman, it's our busiest time of year.

Ok, so I was searching for a three tube backbone Rail 1967-69 but settled for a two tube 1970 when I couldn't find one, found out my buddy was looking for a two tube 1970 so we worked out a deal and traded frames, hopefully works out great for the both of us. So I took it to get a price on shipping it and Fedex wants $145, UPS wants $180, and I didn't even try USPS, keep in mind this is a frame only that weighs 14lbs packed. So I get a quote from BikeFlights and they charged me $31 plus $2 for insurance! I thought I made a mistake and re-entered all the information and nope! only $33 total for shipping from Ohio to California! I'm still stunned and will only use Bikeflights from now on.
So I'm really going to have to hustle on this build now because I'm running way behind. :43:

Latest posts

Back