(MBBO Class 1) Orange Lightening....9-Speed...'69 Fastback.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great build. what a beauty

Thanks man! LOVE the Ginch

I knew you would dig the build-offs they have here! So many great builds and ideas flying around on this site it's crazy.

I can't believe it. Really awesome bikes on here! I thought everything would be flat black + rust. Thanks again for everything.

New page..New orange...you know if you ever get a chance to try a set of campagnolo cable guides I would highly recommend it. They really are nice.

main.php

random pic from the other day...skid

main.php

Last edited:
That came out really nice! Well done!

While I laced up a Schwinn rear hub into a Sypder's MOM rim I thought about your lacing pattern. My 333 hub was garbage and I never found a replacement, so used a Schwinn rear. But they are a little longer in the axel, and to not overstress the non-drive spokes I turned in all the heads to face outwards to bring them all in a couple millimeteres. I thought that's why you may have opted to go with a straight pattern for your ND side. I had already had the spokes cut, so didn't change direction, plus that Spider is a resto and I want the 3-cross in there. But I did admire the inginuity in that pattern.

Beautiful. Loving the resto-mod builds.

Thank you!:thumbsup:

Thanks CRASH!

The deal with the half radial lacing is to help those non-drive side spokes maintain even tension. With the angle on a dished wheel once it's tensioned up the non-drive spokes will be at a lower tension than the drive side because of the angle and when there is torque on it those spokes will be constantly loosening and tightening.

I'm not a big fan of radial lacing but it makes sense on a heavily dished wheel. With it just on one side it looks about like a 3x until you see the radial side by itself.

Turning the spoke heads out should allow you to adjust the dish a little bit. Can't wait to see The Judge 5!

For some good reading scroll about 1/2 way down this page to where it says Half-radial spoking. He does a lot better job of explaining it than I can.

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#different

Yup, totally get it. That's why I did the heads out on the ND side, to create more even tension because of the drive side's length. I only needed 2mm to achieve that. I think radial is the next step if you have a more extreme offset.

Luke you gotta ride this thing sometime.....wish I could bring it over and let you take it for a spin...summertime down under now right?

Yup, totally get it. That's why I did the heads out on the ND side, to create more even tension because of the drive side's length. I only needed 2mm to achieve that. I think radial is the next step if you have a more extreme offset.

I figured you did....you just bring out my inner bike nerd....;-)

Just took the bike outside for some adjustment and some detail pix.

The business end.....It's got a stick shift....sort of...seriously though, effortlessly flicking through 9 gears on a '69 fastback is not too shabby.

main.php

main.php

Got a couple more decent close-ups.

main.php

The recessed hardware on the brakes was kind of a mistake but it works out well with the fenderless motif.

main.php

Thanks CRASH. Those were a solution to the problem of not having enough shifter cable housing. The kit came with 2 pieces that were real short. I told the guy at the lbs that I either had to order housing or get some cable stops or return the cables.

When he pulled these up on the screen I asked him about them and he said he had a set. They were 1/2 the price of clamp-on stops that he didn't have. He even gave me longer screws to make them work.

He told me I needed a boss to install them. I told him the whole thing is made of boss. That Schwinn frame will really hold a screw.

Can see the back one pretty good here.

main.php

She weighs in at 34 lbs...heavy, but 5 lbs lighter than a stock one. Surprising considering the heavy Krate shocks and 4 x-tra gears.

Supposed to be 59 degrees here today. Still pretty nice for Ohio. Might have to take her out on the bike trail. Was keeping up with a guy on a recumbant yesterday...;-)

Luke you gotta ride this thing sometime.....wish I could bring it over and let you take it for a spin...summertime down under now right?
Late spring here, perfect time for riding and building bikes!

One day I will have to build one just like yours, so very cool!

Luke.

[QUOTE="LukeTheJoker, post: 864706, member: 16705"
One day I will have to build one just like yours, so very cool!

Luke.[/QUOTE]

It's a fun build and fun bike Luke...Do it!

Thank you mastershake916!

Just working on getting some good photos now. This is just off the bike trail by my house.
park8_zpsa5921e42.jpg~original

They even have a little work stand with tools on the trail.

park2_zps5347d80d.jpg~original

Our day was cut short though when my son had a bad crash on his BMX racer. Came down a hill full blast and missed a blind turn that was at the bottom of the hill right next to the river. Popped both tires, bent the forks and cracked his helmet but luckily not a scratch on him.

Had to walk about 7 miles home. Got home and took him straight to the bike shop for some new tubes and to replace his helmet. I even bought my first helmet in 47 years after seeing what his did for him. Had to put the forks in a hydraulic press to get them straight. I put the regular BMX handlebars back on there too as the setup he had going was a little unstable. My first big scare like that as a dad but all is well.

Last edited:
:41::41::41: Nice job , looks fast and all the modern upgrades look fantastic !:rockout:

Mark

Thank you Mark! I was surprised how well everything blended in. I was real worried about the lack of a shifter, fenders and spoke protector.

glad he is OK. helmets save lives and are a great place for stickers

Thank you Aaron. Never thought much about wearing one until that event. Helmets for bicycles didn't exist when I was a kid and we rode around standing up in the front seat of a car. Evolution I guess.

i don't like the cheap mountain bike hemets
i like the full face helmets !!!!

I got a Bell solar which i guess the solar part means it will keep your head cool. Should be nice in the summer. Kind of a brain freeze this time of year with all the air moving through it.

I've been through many near misses like that in my life and came through completely unscathed but to see the boy crash like that was a real shocker. Oh what I must have put my parents through growing up.

Beautiful.

Thank you!

Had to post this pic with a short description on the RRB FaceBook group page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ratrodbikes/

Luke.

Wow..I'm honored. Thanks Luke!

Nice and clean great job.:113:

Thank you..I really appreciate the positive feedback on this bike.

Here's another pic I took in that same spot.

park3_zps091a7764.jpg~original

My plan is to have my friend Chris get me some good shots with an actual camera. All my pics are on my phone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back