(MBBO) Class 1 Western Flyer Wheelie Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see it broken down, helps to get a real understanding of how the frame is made...

Luke.

Here is the AMF Avenger frame. Same design except for the wheelie part. Could make something close from one of these.
$T2eC16NHJG8E9nyfmZEEBRqOCin)Dw~~60_57.JPG

Here is my start for the build off. It is a Western Flyer Buzz Bike 2+1 Wheelie Bike frame. I have the impossible to find guard coming to me along with a new seat. I bought a Western Flyer bike for the other parts I need for this bike. A few things will probably have to go to chrome plating. It will be stripped down this week and sent off to be blasted clean and get ready for paint. Looking forward to bringing this back from the dead.

Man those wheelie frames are outrageous....so cool it made me quiver........cant wait to see it along it's way!

Last edited by a moderator:
...I am thinking of putting new spokes in the rims. I need 7 in the rear. They got ground down on the sprocket side.
Have you ever rebuilt your own wheels? It's really not that hard. If you've ever trued a rim, and understand the dynamics of the 3-dimensional tension, then it's all pretty easy.

The Derelict is the first build I'm doing where I'm using off-the-shelf wheels I got off a donor frame. I never planned on using them, but such is life. For every one of my builds I respoke the wheels. Spokes get old and dull, and I don't think they look as good as new even when you take them apart and polish each one. Plus my bikes are riders and I don't want issues with the wheels with my kids on them.

I'd offer to build them up for you for free, but by the time you spent the money in shipping you wouldn't be saving anything I don't think.

Crash I never even tried to rebuild a wheel. I know nothing of the 3D tension you are talking about. I have 2 sets of wheels I would like rebuilt. These and a set of Schwinn S-2's from 1950. I would need to repaint the Schwinn's first and clean the hubs. I could send them one set at a time. I can pay you to do them. Not a problem. I just don't like the LBS here. They only like new stuff. I also have some stuff I could trade you for your time.

John, I would be excited to be able to help you out. You've done a lot for me over the years, so having the opportunity to repay your kindness in this way would make me happy. Here's how we can make this work:

-You send me all your rims and hubs you want done.
-I measure them all out for 3-cross pattern (2 if it needs it) and 14g spokes with 14mm nipples (My standard for all my builds. Keeps things simple)
-I send the measurements to my custom spoke guy who puts the measurements into a formula and spits out the needed lengths.
-He cuts the spokes and sends them. (Doing all the wheels at once means only a single $13 shipping charge vice a $13 charge every time)
-I lace and true the wheels
-I send the wheels back to you.

It's not going to be cheap. Shipping both ways plus... figure $35-40 per wheel set, plus $13 in shipping. On a good note... no labor.

Let me know!

Wow this bike is radical! I have also never seen one before. lacing wheels is one of the most magical things you can do with bike building. the wheels i did for my fastback were my 3rd and 4th rims i've done...well unless you count the wheel I laced when I was 11 years old. I put an S6 onto an s5 wheel fastback to try and improve the braking. i got it laced but had to take it to the lbs to be trued.

that frame is cool as,If it were mine I wouldnt do the wheelie bar at the back,I would go with "lead sled" look,maybe classic rockabilly,but also would be cool metal flaked as you say,fat chrome guards.I would never alter a frame as cool as this but if I were mental enuf I would do slots at the back for the rear wheel,move back the seat and give it a hardtail chopper look,rake out the front with a rocker spring fork

You could make a close copy of this frame using a AMF Renegade frame. You would have to chop, cut, rebuild but it would be close. I had a set of Ray Cooper chopper forks on this frame before. Still waiting to get it back from sand blasting. My guy had some set backs come up so he is a little behind. Here is a pic of it with chopper forks.

You could make a close copy of this frame using a AMF Renegade frame. You would have to chop, cut, rebuild but it would be close. I had a set of Ray Cooper chopper forks on this frame before. Still waiting to get it back from sand blasting. My guy had some set backs come up so he is a little behind. Here is a pic of it with chopper forks.

lovin' the stance!

Finally got a progress report. I got the bike back from sand blasting. It is a very clean except the bottom frame rail. There is a lot of pitting on it. Some on the drop out to. No big deal. It will be fixed when it goes to paint. I got a rear fender that fits. I have to change the fender stay out to the short one on the rear and the front to. It is rusty. The chain guard I got is for a girls bike. It is a little longer so it has to be cut down. The seat is a great looking blue. I got a sprocket and handlebars. I think I have all the parts now to complete it. Here are a few pics of the clean frame and some parts.

Latest posts

Back