(MBBO Class 2) "Mad Maxine" NOW SOLD TO A NEW RRB MEMBER!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good news. :::Happy:::

The brushes & springs have given me a scare on more than one occasion on my grinder too so don't feel bad.

BTW thanks I should open & clean mine too I've never done it lol.

I did get something done today:

15126930285_2d2d3761eb_z.jpg

It will become clear what this template is for in the coming days, if you follow my builds you can probably figure it out and realise this is the logical next step in my designs...

Luke.
I thought it was some kind of shield for taking it into battle.

cool on the tool save! its no fun loosing an old friend!

Troy
Absolutely true Jats! I was quite upset for a while there!

Sorry for the lack of progress on the bike Guys and Girls, something will happen soon, I promise!

Luke.

What has held me up is the switch to 5 spoke wheels...

I had it all worked out, you see there are 32 spoke holes in the rims, I was going to drill the raised spoke sections out to make it like a lightened Surly rim, with the rim strip bulging slightly through the rim, it would have worked out fine with 8 spokes as it is easy to divide 32 into 8 for an even number of holes and even spacing between spokes, not so easy to divide 32 into 5...

So I have just been spending some time thinking about what to do, I still want to run 5 spoke wheels, so I will need to change my plans a bit, I think I have a way to do it worked out, but just need to think a little more on it...

Luke.

I am digging around scrap piles trying to trigger a creative response from the chaos. Stuff is piling up so it wont be long before I start something....can't wait to see your stuff Luke...gotta be killer!

Hey a Luke... isn't your jig rim a 5 bolt? That should help a bit...

Carl.

It is not setting up the jig that is the issue, it is the holes in the rim will not be equal amounts between the 5 evenly spaced spokes, I get kind of ocd about things like that, even if no one ever noticed, I would know and it would haunt me, I would never be completely happy with the bike...

Luke.

Is there any chance of finding another motorcycle rim easily ? Maybe if you could it would have a better number of spoke holes to divide . Is there any motorcycle savages around there or scrap yards sometimes around here you can swap parts according to weight

Lotta work - could fill all the holes and smooth. Clean slate.
Hmm, maybe fab a vee ridge to set on the rim between the spokes,
or a different rim. There's things I get picky about too...

Carl.

Is there any chance of finding another motorcycle rim easily ? Maybe if you could it would have a better number of spoke holes to divide . Is there any motorcycle savages around there or scrap yards sometimes around here you can swap parts according to weight
The only wheels I can find are 28, 32 or rarely 36 spoke unless I want to go cast alloy, which I was tempted, but hard to find a matching front 12".

I have a solution, actually Carl has come close to what I will do, just need to get out there and do it, it is more work but will be stronger, look better and it gives me more options for something else once it is done, but I will keep that under my hat, as I am still deciding on it... ;)

Luke.

ACTUALLY DID WORK ON THE BIKE TODAY! :dance2:

Not as much as I wanted, but it is still progress and now the build is back on track!

My plan for fixing the wheel dimple and spoke hole issue was to cover them completely using a bike rim, so starting with the front 12" rim and a 16" bike rim I made some relief cuts and started fitting it up:

14989623540_cf11e34639_z.jpg

Some working with the clamps, cutting the rim to length and a little welding and I had this:

14989688848_fecf883335_z.jpg

A bit more welding which took quite a while because of how thin the steel is on the bike rim, followed by some grinding and clean up with a flap disk:

14989526939_6345151091_z.jpg

Then on to the rear rim, which was much easier as I had a spare 22" bike rim which was very close in diameter to what I needed, I cut out about 2" from it and worked it by hand until it fitted inside the rim nicely, clamped it in a few spots and tacked it in place, welded up the old spoke holes, a quick clean up and we have this:

15153244656_3ebe83a592_z.jpg

So this is where the build stands today: two rims ready for spoking!

14989707817_3896870de8_z.jpg

I also wanted to get the jig finished today, but that proved too much, so that is the first job for next time, but at least now there are no steps backwards, it is all real progress from this point...

Luke.

Just went reading thru the hole thread and I have a few things to say.
First, cool build as usual, love the wheels and tires on this one.

Second, In the past 15 years I had had more grinders than girlfriends, probably because I'm with the same girl since 2001 and now she's my wife but that's not the point. Seriously, I have broken over 5 grinders, 3 drills since I started with this madness of bike/stuff building so, IMO, it would be great to have a tool repair section, where folks like yourself that have the knowledge to keep this things running can help us folks that don't know squat about it. I know there must be hundreds of forums about it but what can I say, I like just this one. ;)

Third, I'm throwing an idea, if my audacity is permitted, to make the frame a little more girly since it's having big wheels and will be painted black... so I humbly propose something like this:
Luke.jpg

If you think is horrible it's alright, I wont be offended I'm just trying to help a lil'bit.
Build on Mate and keep those pics flowing!!! ;)

Thanks Gdcast!

I totally agree, there should be a tool repair section on here, all different brands might make things interesting, but the basic principals are the same...

Also agree, this is probably the best forum on the internet! :thumbsup:

I showed Heidi your mock-up, and she prefers the low step through height of the original frame, cool idea though, it does make it look more girly!

Luke.

Yes a tool repair section would be great so people could share the little secrets of tool repair like how to keep the brushes in place while sliding a motor back together and many more

Yeah, it may get difficult to actually sit on the bike with that design since it will be to high to slide the leg over the seat, sorry! :blush:

About the tool repair section, my dremel quit on me, but I'm sure is not dead yet, I just don't know why it isn't working and how to fix it. :banghead: Smells funny, maybe I just burned the &%$* thing! hehe. :confused: Would love to save the money to spend on more tools or just bike parts and not on a new dremel...

Latest posts

Back