(MBBO Class 2) "Mad Maxine" NOW SOLD TO A NEW RRB MEMBER!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been switching back and forth on ideas for this build-off a fair bit, tossing around different ideas and even the possibility of building a muscle bike for my wife Heidi, then was inspired by @whitefiretiger's bar tread rear tire to build an off-road muscle bike, then I was looking through an old issue of Kickstand Magazine (thanks @Dbubbleguy for sending me them!) and spotted a bike I had filed away for future inspiration, it was built by Dan Koenig of IchiBike for his wife and is called "The Black Rainbow":

14916004789_deefecc61e_z.jpg

I love the all black style, it looks really mean!

Combine "all black" with "off road" and then I was thinking of those crazy bikes and buggies in the later Mad Max movies and so this build was born...

A quick visit to a M/C wreckers (that is unfortunately soon closing down) and I had a plan! All that remained then was to dig through my parts bikes and find a donor for the main frame section, went through a few options but finally settled on an old 22" girls bike that I was never going to use for anything else...

Here is the basic plan:

15102331192_3f1d7129f2_z.jpg

Wheels are 18" and 12" steel M/C rims that I will weld in custom spokes and hubs like I usually do:

15102692545_e13723d541_z.jpg

14916061710_3b28d91f58_z.jpg

Tires measure out to 26" and 16" equivalents. Need to build a skateboard based banana seat, will probably run a 7 speed freewheel and dérailleur rear with a rapid fire shifter on the bars. (It has to be user friendly for my wife) Disc brakes front and rear and everything BLACK!

Total spent so far $40... (tires and rims.)

Luke.

Appears to be a late '60's early '70's Australian Roadmaster, Repco or most likely a Malvern Star, pretty odd just being a 22" bike and that is the reason I grabbed it, I have another 22" girls bike with a much more girly frame that will receive some of the parts off this, so there will be no waste of some pretty rare pieces... ;)

Luke.

I have not really wanted to do a mock-up of this build, because my mock-ups lately have ended up making me not like the build, but I realised I needed something to scale off, so I had to draw it out at some point...

Thankfully the mock-up came out great and now I am even more excited to get this build happening!
:banana:

15101699511_9bf9b74182_z.jpg

Luke.

A Mad Max inspired build allows for some cool details. I like it, anything goes...

Carl.

Last edited:
I gotcha, black on black... In my head I keep seeing that dream catcher totem, the mud painted kid carried in the third movie, with the record hanging on it... All good, I'm sure whatever you do is gonna be awesome.

Carl.

You always find (or make) the wildest wheels!!

What? No 44" monster truck wheel on this year's build?
:21: I was tempted! But I realised if I really want my wife to ride it, it has to be at least a little bit practical!

Luke.

Can't wait to see what you come up with Luke. I know it will be great
Thanks Rharris! (Your avatar pic actually got me watching all the King of the Hill episodes over the course of a months, all 13 seasons worth...:43:)

Luke.

Quit watching tv and GTB!

Carl.
:21: Nice one!
Actually wanted to work today, but cold and windy, plus it was grocery shopping day... :whistle:

Update hopefully tomorrow!

Luke.

Late winter :eek: early spring there right?

Carl.
Meant to be spring, but the very first day it dropped 10 degrees and rained... Been the same ever since... :confused:

Working title?...Awesome title! The bike its self will be neat, but the name only makes it better.
Only reason it is a working title is that my wife Heidi is not a real fan of the name, I have given her the job of deciding on a new one and she has come up with some cool ides so far...

Needs a basket.

...with flowers;)
As long as they are all black too, that is fine with me! :21:

Even colder here today than the last few days, and windy, not sure if anything will get done today...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back