MBBO Class2 - unnamed - 2006 Schwinn Jaguar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't chosen a name yet, but I do have a bike and a vision, so I may as well get underway. Still sorting out my "to-do" list and going to hit the local co-op for any suitable parts--you wouldn't believe what those guys throw away. I've got ideas...let's see if I can make them a little more than that.

00A0A_e9I9aLn0vws_1200x900.jpg

00C0C_cVZN5fP4PgV_1200x900.jpg

That's an easy 5-speed StingRay right there.

I have a brand new set of chrome fenders that will fit that bike. I bought them for my wife's Murray, but they don't fit. They are full middleweight, but I learned last year that modifying full fenders isn't hard at all.

If you can find stuff at the Co-op I'm interested in, I'd trade straight up if you pay for the ride. PM me if you're interested.

That's been the plan, but the bike currently does not shift well--needs a hot date with a Park DAG-1. In any event, the grip-shift will be swapped out for some sort of crotch stick once the shifting issues are worked out.

Meanwhile, I've amassed some parts and have begun layout for a scratch-built seat...maybe.
Seattemplate3.jpg

If that doesn't materialize by the build's end, I'll just throw on a store-bought saddle and call it done. You don't get better without pushing boundaries, though.

Sorry for the dearth of pics and updates. It turns out that photography just isn't my style, but I'll strive to get better about it.

Ive got some ideas on building a seat, be happy to compare. After seeing one apart the pans are pretty crude, and the hardware rivets on.
Width will be the factor, most arent comfy for adults.

I was going to stack 2 2x8's together and cut to rough shape and use a belt sander to create some dome. Router the edges round, or use belt sander. This will give the "buck" for hammer form.

Stack a thin sheet and a heavier sheet of metal for the inner and outer pan. Drill 2 bolt holes thru the wood and metal, recess the buck a little under the bolts.

Was going to use sheetmetal from appliances.

Start hammering the heck out of it. May need to add recessed areas on the back sides of the buck with a drill for clamp points to work the sides over.
Shorter sides will be easier. Lots of clamps. Trim the edges even with a grinder once its formed.
Weld or jb weld 2-3 studs to clamp the top and bottom pans together, weld or rivet the seat mount on, could even use rails.

Just an idea so far, but ive done some hammer forming making panels for auto restoration. The seat pans just need to hold shape and clamp together, dont need to be beautiful.

That's not unlike my own approach. I was going to use plywood pieces cut in various shapes and stacked in the manner of a topographic map, to form my buck. I think that would require a lot less sanding to achieve the smooth look I'm after. Unfortunately, I no longer have the same access to wood shop tools that I once enjoyed--I want my bandsaw back!

I also need to come up with a homebrew shifter mechanism...maybe something like the old Simplex "cheese wedge," but for 7-speeds.

Page 5 and 7 might spark some ideas. Top tube mounted Grip shift converted to shift lever.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mbbo-5-class-2-slow-roll.100071/page-8

That's actually my plan-B...modifying a cast-off mountain bike quill stem and mounting a twist shifter to whatever remains. Better suited to a suicide shifter on the seat tube, in my opinion.

In the meantine, I'm kinda leaning toward a friction shifter, as it makes set-up a whole lot easier on a bike that already displays shifting gremlins.

I considered a friction shifter, ground down lever with a tube shaft inserted over it and a set screw. Similar solution for a long shift handle. Keep the knob lightweight.

Latest posts

Back