Me and Paul

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattiThundrrr

Rattus All Terrainus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been rooty, rocky travelin'
But I'm finally biking upright on the ground
After taking several readings
I'm surprised to find my mind is fairly sound
I thought Bromont was the toughest
But I know I said the same about them all
We received our education
On the singletrack of the nation, me and Paul
IMG_20211003_163653923.jpg

Can't think of a name for my "new" Brodie, so for now I'm going with Paul.

Last edited:
"The symbolism of the omega is related to spiritual evolution and enlightenment, being the end of the cycle and the beginning of a new cycle. The symbol brings the human experience closer to the divine, because, according to traditions, from the spiritualities of the divine we leave and return to it."

We'll see about all that

Here's what it needs:
Rebuild that Recon, it's as flat as can be
New BB. Can't have the creaking, it would drive me nuts in a second
Rear tire and tube. I didn't notice it was set up tubeless, I don't have a tool or a clue. Not switching over the fleet due to one tire.
New brake pads. Not impressed with the disks, Nameless Hardrock's vees stop better right now
Grips and pedals

Future plans:
1x crank conversion. I can't believe how much the chain gets sucked into the stays. It's pretty chewed up back there. This sprials outta control pretty quickly. Shifters and brakes are pod units. Getting rid of front derailleur means new levers means new rear shifter. I'm ok with that, as the shifters are thrashed and new levers could help with more pull on the mechanical disks.
Once I see how it fits in the woods, l might want to narrow the bars from their 730mm width.

That's a great name and a great song, I am old enough to remember when it came out! The speculations were that Willie was singing about his Les Paul guitar but later found out it was his drummer Paul English he was referring to. Ride on!!

That's a great name and a great song, I am old enough to remember when it came out! The speculations were that Willie was singing about his Les Paul guitar but later found out it was his drummer Paul English he was referring to. Ride on!!
I was lucky enough to see Willie and Paul play it some time in the aughts. Great performance

Information on the interwebs for Brodie bikes is scarce. For some reason, 2007 (which is what I believe I've got based on the one picture I've found on the internet) absolutely doesn't exist whatsoever. The corporate website archives don't go back that far. I've been in contact with a product manager at the company, and he said that serial number is meaningless. I sent him some pictures, as he said he could determine year based on color and graphics. He hasn't gotten back to me. Mystery bike. Fun fact: the name of Brodie's hard tail line is Hardass. Class

I don't remember what specific calipers I have, but it's cable pull, and I want to keep it that way. Hoping pads, levers and cable change will make them grab better. I think the pods are altus or something :rolleyes: definitely not up to the rest of the build's standards

I don't remember what specific calipers I have, but it's cable pull, and I want to keep it that way. Hoping pads, levers and cable change will make them grab better. I think the pods are altus or something :rolleyes: definitely not up to the rest of the build's standards
People like to bag on Avid but I have them on 3 of my bikes. With good Jagwires, and the right pad combo they stop my 200# wide open self just fine.

I have taken my rotors and done figure eights on a large piece of emory paper on a flat top to bed then back in. Then clean with rubbing alcohol. Fresh pads and enjoy

I have Avid levers and v brakes on my 2012 Kos. Stops incredible. Broke a lever a while back when the bike fell over while I was snapping photos. They’re reasonably priced but make sure you get genuine ones from a reputable seller.

My hydraulic disc equipped se ripper has short levers. I would think cable operated discs would be short too.

Just went out to check. Calipers are Hayes MX4. Avid levers are under consideration. Do regular v brake levers work for disks, or are there specific ones I need to look for?
Leverage is similar so yes

....and if unsure, always go with the longer pull regular levers.
...better to stop dead than hit the handlebars and not be fully engaged.

It's been rooty, rocky travelin'
But I'm finally biking upright on the ground
After taking several readings
I'm surprised to find my mind is fairly sound
I thought Bromont was the toughest
But I know I said the same about them all
We received our education
On the singletrack of the nation, me and PaulView attachment 176002
Can't think of a name for my "new" Brodie, so for now I'm going with Paul.
I like Paul🤘

My hydraulic disc equipped se ripper has short levers. I would think cable operated discs would be short too.
I have some one finger levers on a set of old Hope Solo. Although I don't run them currently they are stout and scary even with just one finger pull. Saving them for a future build

Latest posts

Back