Meet Matti

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Ventana showed up on my local CL a week or so ago...

Screenshot_20200502-203633.png

...a tridem?

You'd be impressed with what they're able to do with cover ups these days. They still hurt though, haven't been able to solve that yet...
They don’t hurt, lots stuff much worse, like getting a filling without Novocain. When I was a kid the dentist charged an extra dollar for Novocain so that was too outrageous. Tattoo is a scratch.

Chapter 2: Really? He's Going Through With This?
Boring stuff: born in the 70s raised in the 80s, sk8board, punk, crappy third hand ten speed, jealousy at friends' cool brand bmxs, 90s grunge, girls, delinquency, what's that, a mountain bike?! Lemme try that Hardrock... right down a flight of stairs (I HATE GRIPSHIFT!!!) and I'm buying it, never leaving my collection. Graphic design diploma, the new millennium, jobs, life, wife (the cutie from the LBS!) kids, motorcycle, forgot about bikes, crash, busted body, rehab, back to bikes, Rat Rod Bikes and that's about it.
La vida loca! Sounds like a great start to life! Enjoy your new RRB famil. Nice to see new members and humor... world needs more humor from time to time! Ride on!

Last edited:
MattiThundrrr said:
(I HATE GRIPSHIFT!!!)
I remember when that garbage hit the MTBs. A friend from Vancouver BC tried telling me how great it was. My response was "When one of your friends up there lands a big drop and breaks their wrist because of the shifter rolling on them, let me know." A few months later they were all taking them off for trigger shifters.

I might see him Wednesday, Friday, or over the weekend. It's a bit of a drive that I'd have to do before work. Time is the hardest part to find!
I remember when that garbage hit the MTBs. A friend from Vancouver BC tried telling me how great it was. My response was "When one of your friends up there lands a big drop and breaks their wrist because of the shifter rolling on them, let me know." A few months later they were all taking them off for trigger shifters.
Yeah....I’m not a fan of grip shift levers, either. I like my trigger shiftres

When I first started dating my lady I built her a JC Higgins, found it a Murray tank on eBay and took her to the local swap meet on a date. That’s where I found the rack. It needs to be modified to fit the 24” frame but it’s so pretty.
Fast forward seven years and I traded a Columbia two bar. I don’t know what it’s really called but It was complete. Any ways I traded it for this awesome 24” Higgins with perfect paint.
That’s when she confessed that she doesn’t really care about bikes and was only faking it to make me happy.
It’s been in parts since then.
View attachment 105806 View attachment 105805
Just fantastic!

Is it just me, or did the "What Have You Been Riding" thread disappeared? Anyhow, finally got to take the DiamondBack out to the track with Team Thundrrr.
IMG_20200722_095210.jpg

And something is wrong with the track, it seems to be about 150 metres too longo_O

Edit: nevermind, found the thread, just hadn't been updated in weeks. You guys must not be riding

Last edited:
So here's a story. Funny moment, not a proud one...
On the way to my parents' house to pick up ThundrrJr2, I passed a second hand shop with a few old MTBs outside, so I topped to check em out.
1. Junk, don't even bother
2. 80s Norco, nice lugged frame, but mix n match junk components. Pass
3. No name frame. Well used, but good shape. Not all that special, but workable. Chain is wet with lube, tires look newish, already plans are coming to me. But why no pricetag on this one? What's up with the plastic bag on the seat?
Then, the homeless guy moseys out of the store, hops on my(his) bike, and rides away.
That's where I am at in my bicycle life now. Hunting for gems a homeless guy would be proud of.

My town is small enough that he's a familiar character. Perhaps "homeless" was an assumption, but it was a device I used in order to get the idea across. I don't actually know his living arrangements.

93A0D6E5-F5CF-47D9-9F63-FEC579E69381.jpeg

My brother and his buddy rented one of these in the 90’s it’s a Santana. Dude! My first mountain bike was an ‘88 stumpjumper just like this...
E7050874-704B-4BE5-854E-7C90B6F3F700.jpeg

Took months of scraping and having it on layaway then thinking I would never get it and my mom actually paid it off and I got it for Christmas 1989. It was a clearance model when I signed up to make payments. Total price $625. It is now in parts in Branscomb, Ca. When I purchased my next MTB in 1995 I again bought a year old model, Aluminum Alpine Stars with Deore LX, for about the same price and then spent my student loan money on a RockShox Judy. The same shop had a full XTR Merlin Newsboy for about $3500 which I lusted after but thought the price was crazy and I couldn’t even come close to affording anyway. After my brother got divorced and was robbed on his half of the house money he bought “middle of the road” IBIS Ripley for the princely sum of 4K. I was dumbfounded. Anyhoo, I found this abandoned at my local dirt track the other day minus a seat or post and grips. It looks to have never been ridden! It’s a 1989.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
How’s that Biopace and cassette ? No grooves! I used a tomato juice can to shim an old seatpost I had borrowed from another bike in the shed...
image.jpg

I just need to replace the seized shifter cables and it’ll be ready to rattle the kidneys:grin: Glad I finally read your into! Cheers

You know I love that Stumpy, and the stories ain't bad either!
Thanks for the tandem info. Now that I know there are two, I don't feel so frustrated about wanting one :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back