Mesa Buggie - WuGgie ...New seat post! pg 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...oh, and I forgot to mention....
it's a beautiful day to rat rod bikes!

20170108_102817.jpg

Attachments

• 20170108_102817.jpg
    20170108_102817.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 245
Brake mount looks good. Good cable position too. Love that shirt.
My wife ordered that shirt on RRB all by herself for a Christmas present! It's, I mean, she's a keeper. :bigsmile:

I'm anxious to get the wheel back in and cable up the brake and der shifter and get her rolling. Thinking tomorrow is the day!

...aaannd it's a rider! Got the brake caliper adjusted, pretty quiet now (all things considered) and hitting all 6 gears on the freewheel!

20170110_125629.jpg

20170110_125740.jpg

Running the old thumb shifter in friction mode, as the der / freewheel / shifter aren't part of the same group, even though they are all Shimano. If I swap out the derailleur and use the other mount I have with a bolt on derailleur hanger I can probably switch to SIS mode.

Got a late Christmas present in the mail today as well....a new Park Tool repair stand! My last one was purchased in 1988 when I started working on my own stuff to save money. The clamp adjust bolt broke off this summer, so it's permanently locked into 'frame paint mode', y'all have seen it many times holding a project in paint.

20170110_125433.jpg

Anyway, I look forward to another 28 yrs of bike repair, and building rat rod bikes with this new version. Park Tool blue, baby!

20170110_133744.jpg

20170110_133724.jpg

Also switched out the lay back post to a straight one. Much better position for off-road adventures.
Just need some cable ties to replace the black electrician tape holding the brake and shift housing / cables and Mesa Buggie WuGgie will be complete!

My wife wants to know if Mrs. Odd bought that the stand for you?
I used some cash I got as a gift and my wife gave me a $75 Amazon gift card for Christmas. To be used towards my habit, er, hobby. So, I guess yes.

I used some cash I got as a gift and my wife gave me a $75 Amazon gift card for Christmas. To be used towards my habit, er, hobby. So, I guess yes.

Love the build! That is saweeeeet!

I got Amazon blessings too......lol

Awaiting my truing stand tomorrow! That is a nice repair stand btw! Saves the old knees more than anything is what I find!

Hahaha! Ever send a text to the wrong person?
I had Tapatalk and my texting open at the same time and was waiting in the car while the person I intended to text was in a store... Cool how it fit here too.

Carl. :eek:
Yeah, my boys always tell me my two favorite types of humor are 'dry' and 'physical'. Your comment was about as 'dry' as they come! Had me laughing for sure! And even funnier now that it was totally unintended. :21:

Ride video below, along with a couple of still shots. Bike rides great! Plenty of gears for the rolling, rocky, ravine filled trails of South Mountain in Phoenix, AZ.
Only problem is, I switched out the lay back solid lead post from Chad to a straight steel post for better riding position. Bent the post in one short ride....back to the drawing board....
20170112_120406.jpg

20170112_121739.jpg

How much of that seat post is in the frame? Looks like it's barely in there.

How much of that seat post is in the frame? Looks like it's barely in there.
5" of post are in that frame. About twice what I had of the lay back post that Chad made me. The angle of the seat tube is pretty severe. So when you are cranking on the pedals and seated, there is a lot of leverage on that post. Probably try to get a straight post made out of the solid lead and hope that works....

Great looking bike, the patina on the frame is just right!

One other thing, I'm amazed by how quickly the bike can make a U-turn. Very tight turning radius!:grin:
Yep, that was the actual turn I made, just sped up a bit by the splice in the two videos.

That bike has like 3-4 different coats of paint on it. Boy did people like to change the color of their bikes in the '50s and '60s! But it does make a nice collage for us ratters....:wink1:

Nice job odd job that a great looking bike weathered & worn by the AZ sun . Plenty of hard pack to ride there . With all the new parts I bet it's like a new bike . Rock on brother [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G, this thing was so fast! And, for a minute there, I forgot that my only brake lever was on the left side! That first rocky slope I just kept picking up speed. And my cadence was so much better climbing than it was with that monster chain ring and single gear last year.

Coolest thing about the desert trails; even when it rains a half inch or a little bit for 3 days in a row like last January, you can jump right on it again the next day, or even that afternoon if it stops by mid-morning! Dry and rocky.

Latest posts

Back