Micargi bikes, any good?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was looking at Micargi bikes, and a few of them caught my attention. Are they all right, or is it a brand to stay away from? Thanks for your help, Dave.

deven_science said:
I think of them as semi-generic bikes, since they have a cheaper Basman knockoff, and a cheaper Dyno Roadster knockoff, etc. Still, many like them a lot, so I think they're decent quality.
Also they make a Dyno cruiser knock off.
As Devin said, all the parts but none of the details.
Crap weld and .... eyed tubes, that is what Ihave seen.

I had one. The frame was decent, welds looked like any other entry level Trek/Specialized aluminum frame. Components were cheap, but serviceable IF you know how to build and tune a bike. If not, expect to pay your LBS $50-100 to set it up properly. You might then want to look at some Electra cruisers that could end up costing a comparable amount once you factor in the better service and support you get by purchasing from a reputable shop.

Bottom line, they are great bikes for tinkerers wnd customizers. If you just want to buy a bike that looks pretty cool from the factory and not change anything, therr may be better options.

The bike I'm looking at is the Royal, a knock off a basman framed bike. I thought it would be a cheap way to try a feet forward, low to the ground, bicycle. I wouldn't have a lot of time or money invested, and I'd be riding pretty quick.

The bike I'm looking at is the Royal, a knock off a basman framed bike. I thought it would be a cheap way to try a feet forward, low to the ground, bicycle. I wouldn't have a lot of time or money invested, and I'd be riding pretty quick.

Given the cost of a Basman, the Micargi makes sense. I had a Micargi and made it into a really cool bike. My comments were geared more towards their run of the mill cruiser models. I've seen some cool Basman knockoffs on this site.

What about their stretch bikes ?like the mustang ? any one have one ? so cool looking !

A friend has a Micargi burrito. It's heavier than his Silverado, and the parts started getting surface rust in less than 6 months... and we live in dry California.

I'd avoid them and go for something higher-end that needs love, like a Felt or Electra.

After I discovered this site, I also discovered a local "vintage bike night" event that caters to vintage motorcycle riders but also attracts quite a few owners of vintage-esque bicycle owners. One of the guys who works at the place that hosts the event has a chrome Micargi stretch with the integrated "tank" -- I think it's the Puma -- and he rides it often and even occasionally commutes to work 10 miles or so each way on it!

He let me ride it around the parking lot a few times and it's definitely fun, but it's definitely more work to ride than some smaller, lighter bikes. :21: He's had it for at least two years, and I didn't see any rust last year after an extraordinarily rainy summer, but can't really speak on the quality of welds and such.

I thought about buying one but (partially because of this website) I found a tandem beach cruiser on craigslist and turned it into a "stretch cruiser" for about half the price. :grin:

What about their stretch bikes ?like the mustang ? any one have one ? so cool looking !
I bought a Micargi Mustang years ago. Rides great. I haven't had any problems with mine at all. Yeah the welds don't look the best but no one can see them if you're riding the bike. Mine is under construction right now.

If you can, try to locate a real Dyno. I paid about the same for mine as I'd have paid for a new Micargi.
Outside of California or Florida, that pretty much means shipping one or driving a really long way (which is what I did).
I'd build a Micargi if I found one cheap, but at around $400, you're in the zone for an original.

Having said that, I find myself a whole lot less inclined to cut and permanently modify an original, whereas with a Micargi I'd happily slice and dice to my heart's content.

Last edited:
I have one if you are interested...It's a nice bike, but doesn't get the riding time it deserves.It's got too much garage competition, what with 4 other stretches and a new fatty in the garage. I converted it back to the original 1 speed wheels and she's ready to go...
mic1.jpg

Last edited:
I have one if you are interested...It's a nice bike, but doesn't get the riding time it deserves.It's got too much garage competition, what with 4 other stretches and a new fatty in the garage. I converted it back to the original 1 speed wheels and she's ready to go...
mic1.jpg
Nice looking bike! 72 spoke wheels?

mic1.jpg
Love this bike! How much were you looking to sell it for? Can you PM me details?

yup, sorry I did'nt get back to you sooner. It's busy time at work

I just 'found' a Micargi Tahiti beach cruiser that was out on the curb for trash. Of course, I brought it home, and began taking it all down.
It was obviously left outside and not cared for at all.
This is not a very old bike at all, my observations so far.
It's heavy as a tank
Every single part that was once chrome, or shiny, is rusted fast.
The paint, is 'OK' faded, will rub out an wax up and look ok.
The stem is rusted fast in the head tube.
The welds are pretty bad
BUT...the seat is nice. :bigsmile:

Compare this to a '99 Huffy Hermosa cruiser I picked up....that has great patina which I'm leaving, the chrome polished up like new. Nice lines and it rolls perfectly.
Even more, compare to an old '88 Royce Union Savoy that I fixed up...paint and chrome waxed up like new...18 speed, cleaned and adjusted derailleurs and it shifts very smoothly, Now, it's a very sharp looking old bike.

The Macargi....it's a good looking cruiser, but I'm going to have to do a heck of a lot to bring it around , and figure out how to cut off some of the weight.or just scab some parts off of it..I know that company makes a whole lot of different models, some cool looking stretch bikes....
Basically...junk..not built to last that's for sure.

mic1.jpg
Well I appreciate all the interest in my bike, but I've decided to keep it. I was sketching out my next build and it came out remarkably similar to the bike I have now!

After I discovered this site, I also discovered a local "vintage bike night" event that caters to vintage motorcycle riders but also attracts quite a few owners of vintage-esque bicycle owners. One of the guys who works at the place that hosts the event has a chrome Micargi stretch with the integrated "tank" -- I think it's the Puma -- and he rides it often and even occasionally commutes to work 10 miles or so each way on it!

He let me ride it around the parking lot a few times and it's definitely fun, but it's definitely more work to ride than some smaller, lighter bikes. :21: He's had it for at least two years, and I didn't see any rust last year after an extraordinarily rainy summer, but can't really speak on the quality of welds and such.

I thought about buying one but (partially because of this website) I found a tandem beach cruiser on craigslist and turned it into a "stretch cruiser" for about half the price. :grin:

Latest posts

Back