Mid-80s Hevi-Duty value question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found out a few years back, that on a 29" single wall, a kick out into a mud puddle to splash your kid is enough to severely taco a rim :doh:. I mean... severely...as I rolled out of the kick out I almost went over the bars from the full lock up stop.
I've done small unintentional kick-outs at at speed in the pump track on these single-wall wheels, no tacos or even a wobble.

20210722_151537.jpg

The biggest unintentional I've ever done on one of my single wall rim wheels was an ISO 630 aluminum Araya at about 25mph from a pedal strike in a turn where the asphalt had bulged up next to a concrete gutter. My friend Tone said he was sure I was going down because the wheel kicked up about 6" and over at least two feet. No crash and the wheel had a wobble, but again no taco.

I bought a new KMC S1 chain for the bike. I haven't ridden the bike since I got the new back rim.. It rides like a brand new bike. It's definitely my favorite of the 3 that I have. Took it out for a 6 mile cruise after I got the chain on. Hit a short dirt trail and my full "send it" hill. So much fun! This bike just glides.

Dropping down to a 20T cog from a 22T is definitely better for cruising.. 44/20 with 165mm cranks just might be the perfect set up for me. LOVE IT!
20211016_190655_remastered.jpg

The "send it" hill
20211016_190007_remastered.jpg

Nice HD and glad you got it dialed in the way you want it!
Thanks. It is dialed. I'm slowly gathering parts for this bike for a klunker build. I'm not taking the bike apart until I have all of the parts because I love riding it.

The one thing I live with on this bike for now are the narrow handlebars. I'm used to 29 - 30" wide BMX bars.

When I got home from my ride I was completely drenched with sweat. My wife asked me, "what the heck were you doing?"
Me: Jumping at the hill again.
Wife: Isn't that how you bent the old rim?
Me: No, I bent that powersliding around a sharp 90° turn at full speed.
Wife: Aren't you going to bend this one Jumping?
Me: No, this new rim is double walled like on my OM Flyer.
Wife: when are you going to grow up? You're 52! Only Kids jump their bikes.
Me: Shjt eating grin! 😁😁

Latest posts

Back